• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GamblersGrin

Chain Smoking Chimp Quits Smoking

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=...28338285855B255

Chain-smoking chimp kicks the habit...

Beijing - A chimpanzee in a Chinese zoo has successfully kicked a 16-year smoking habit after becoming hooked when two spouses died and her daughter left, state press said on Monday.

Ai Ai, a 27-year-old chimp at the Qinling Safari Park in northern China's Shaanxi province, ended her tobacco dependency when zoo keepers put her on a strict regime that included walking, music therapy and exercise sessions, Xinhua news agency said.

"In the first few days, she squealed for cigarettes every now and then, but as her life became more colourful, she gradually forgot about them altogether," one zookeeper was quoted as saying.

"She's served fried dishes and dumplings at every meal, alongside her usual diet of milk, banana and rice," he said, "I also put earphones on her so that she could enjoy some pop music from my Walkman."

According to the report, Ai Ai became a smoker in 1989, shortly after her first spouse died.

She started demanding more and more cigarettes after her second spouse died in 1997 and her daughter departed to another zoo, it said.

The report did not say why zookeepers started giving the animal cigarettes, or whether they faced punishment.

China is the world's largest cigarette consumer, with education about the dangers of tobacco not widely known. China has lax laws protecting the rights of animals.

i seen that monkey on the news a while ago. it was top news for a couple days.

good for her.

i will never have enough self control to quit, its just too hard to not smoke when im drunk, and that is like, all the time.

Originally posted by shameless self promotion@Oct 4 2005, 09:37 AM

I stopped last week.

WORST.IDEA.EVER.

Why? Did you end up getting pissed at someone?

wow, congrats! you quit smoking ai ai.

its not like the monkey had any choice in quitting, its not like it can go to the store and buy a pack. if noone gives it any, it quits.

does anyone not smoke in china?

nb_j01_728x90_static_15k.gif

Good for her. I bet when she gets drunk she still has a drag or two.

Evoker told me about that chimp years ago, and how she would bum cigarettes off of zoo visitors or smoke the ends of butts that people dropped near her cage. If someone wouldn't give one to her, she would flip out. He thought that shit was so cool, he was actually trying to convince me to go to China to see it once. Then he did a painitng of her and sold it for a bunch of money.

Originally posted by GamblersGrin@Oct 4 2005, 05:31 AM

The report did not say why zookeepers started giving the animal cigarettes, or whether they faced punishment.

Asian%20Tigers.jpg

"Hey. I'm fucking bored. Lets go give the monkey cigarettes."

"CHEA, DUDE!"

woah that must be hard, the goddamn monkey is in a cage. Just stop giving it smokes. Fuck..whats it gunna do? flip out and hit the cage? Gimme a break

after reading the article, i have come to the conclusion that i do not give a flying fuck about a chinese monkey quitting smoking.

lets see that primate get a job, and pay a mortgage, then ill give a fuck.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this