basically, HELP ME

MrJackDaniels

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Professional help is professional. You don't get good enough help from an anonymous helpline from someone who relies only on your descriptions. Get a real, physical doctor to help. Your friend will have a mark on him anyways in a psychological way. All the people I know who have had mental problems are way off better after having had professional help, although they have changed a lot, you know?

A not-so-close-relative got a psychosis after smoking cannabis once, threw the TV through the window and so(that was in the eighties). Lately, after 20 years she disappeared when in Africa with her family. His husband said she had probably been smoking again when they saw her last time before disappearing. Just to say, weed is not totally safe and there is a reason why it's illegal(besides a possibility of addiction etc).

As a sidenote I'd ask a question. My sister was rather drugged up when she was in a psychiatrical hospital in an EU country for depression and suicide attempts. Do you know anything about it happening in the States? I mean truly drugged up...

Damn.

You sure he isn't fucking with crystal?

positive

The long and the short of it-

Read the advice that was posted in 2005 and don't expect any new posts to be useful or sympathetic.

yeah i guess i am corny & asking for sympathy for him, but i am hardly expecting it. it just feels better to get it off my chest to where people can read, but not do much about irl. i read the thread beforehand & am not waiting on some kind of miracle. he could be bipolar & this could come & go, but if he stays in this state/progresses, we know deep down taking him to a professional is probably the best idea in the long run (though none of the friends like to say it)

Professional help is professional. You don't get good enough help from an anonymous helpline from someone who relies only on your descriptions. Get a real, physical doctor to help

professional help (also someone who we can trust to talk to him & verify his state without sending him to an institution right away) seems like the best plan, assuming he stays in this state/gets progressively worse. i figured why not give a hotline a call as a first step before seeking professionals (because he will be gone for a bit anyway), i assume you must need some kind of semi-reputable qualification for that job & that they might hopefully be able to shed some light on the matter. anything

A not-so-close-relative got a psychosis after smoking cannabis once, threw the TV through the window and so(that was in the eighties). Lately, after 20 years she disappeared when in Africa with her family. His husband said she had probably been smoking again when they saw her last time before disappearing. Just to say, weed is not totally safe and there is a reason why it's illegal(besides a possibility of addiction etc).

i hear ya... stories like this concern others & i. but the irony is, i believe the more you worry about something like this, the worse worrying in general is for you in the long run, so why worry?

As a sidenote I'd ask a question. My sister was rather drugged up when she was in a psychiatrical hospital in an EU country for depression and suicide attempts. Do you know anything about it happening in the States? I mean truly drugged up...

sorry i cant shed any light on this. hope things work out for her

burning means smoking weed right? we dont call it that round here thats why i ask.

i have an acquittance who was committed to a mental inst. for schizophrenia. she got it from smoking copious amounts of weed and now shes drugged up to the eyeballs.

i hope everything works out for your friend. really.

Are we talking about a teenager here?

Find the number for the county crisis line and call them. You do not need to be all anonymous calling from pay phones like a spy or something.

If you feel that he is a threat to himself or others do not hesitate to call for help. Do not think of it like snitching or anything like that, sometimes people need help and are not able to reach out for it on their own, that is when it becomes the responsibility of those that around them to step up.

Good Luck

Sorry to double post.

Shit like this is no fun for anyone. You need to talk to the other people in this kids life, like his parents and get this resolved.

I had a friend that went bonkers in high school and it sounds pretty similar. She did a shit load of drugs that are often associated with the head scene, lsd, weed, molly, dmt, nitrus etc...

She had to be sent away for a minute. 10 years later she is doing okay, married etc.

Some other kids that did not get help are now dead.

psychosis is not caused by cannabis, that was proven wrong a number of years ago, it was just propaganda from the nixon days.

psychosis is also such a vague "disorder" its disputed as not even existing.

its a behaviour problem at its root, people with low self confidence, lack of self purpose, and a lack of restraint loose touch with reality for a number of reasons, drugs are often labeled as the cause however in reality its more so linked to a lack of structure in their lives.

people get lazy and narcissistic and want to put blame on something other then themselves.

slap your friend up the side of the head. tell him to get his shit together and fuck off hanging with him till he does. shits called tough love and its really the only way of dealing with deluded people.

check up on him discreetly, make sure he gets help, but distance yourself from him.

burning means smoking weed right? we dont call it that round here thats why i ask

yeah, burning is to smoke weed

Are we talking about a teenager here?

If you feel that he is a threat to himself or others do not hesitate to call for help. Do not think of it like snitching or anything like that, sometimes people need help and are not able to reach out for it on their own, that is when it becomes the responsibility of those that around them to step up

Shit like this is no fun for anyone. You need to talk to the other people in this kids life, like his parents and get this resolved.

I had a friend that went bonkers in high school and it sounds pretty similar. She did a shit load of drugs that are often associated with the head scene, lsd, weed, molly, dmt, nitrus etc...

She had to be sent away for a minute. 10 years later she is doing okay, married etc

hes in his early 20s

the only part of last night that made me think hurting himself is a possibility was when he asked me if i told him that he should stop breathing. he is in montreal with the others now, & im confident they will keep an eye on him for a few. when they return, i guess a decision has to be made. he hasnt seen his parents in a long time, so everyone basically understands that we may have to go through with the motion of assessment by a professional/possible institutionalization, though noone likes to say it out loud. id hate to see a friend put in an institution, but whatever is better for him in the long run is the focus, & i agree, its not "snitching" to not want to have your friend run away in a state of psychosis in the middle of the night

his parents are halfway around the world at the minute. about a week ago, they sent him a package with a birthday present, which i assume means theyre staying there for the next while. i have no idea how id get into contact with them without finding it through my friend. its definitely an avenue i know we all considered, but havent said out loud. it should & will be talked about though

ive also heard some stories of the mentally ill getting help & continuing to live a happy & successful life afterwards. we will get him as much help as he needs, were not going to have him turn into one of the people having a shouting match with a pissing corner in chinatown

psychosis is not caused by cannabis, that was proven wrong a number of years ago, it was just propaganda from the nixon days.

psychosis is also such a vague "disorder" its disputed as not even existing.

slap your friend up the side of the head. tell him to get his shit together and fuck off hanging with him till he does. shits called tough love and its really the only way of dealing with deluded people.

check up on him discreetly, make sure he gets help, but distance yourself from him.

im not a psychologist & am not going to argue about things i dont fully understand, but despite whatever the problem is caused by, its clearly there. i know he feels sketched out in return when others worry about him/ask questions about this/offer help/etc..

if we all told him to just get his shit together & that wed stopped hanging out with him until he did, he would probably lock himself inside, get high all day, & make sure only the people who he wanted to talk to could get into contact with him. hes got multiple sets of eyes on him for the next few during their trip so were not worried about him hurting himself physically, but we know this could easily be one of those problems that inflate/get harder to reverse the longer it goes on without real help

i see your opinion, but i doubt we will smack him around until hes sane again. thanks for your input nevertheless

It's been a few years since I posted in this thread, and I have had far more experience dealing with mental health issues in the meantime. (Mostly other people's, and a couple of my own that I seem to be slowly getting a handle on.)

First off, this doesn't sound like your typical bipolar episode. Unfortunately, this sounds like the onset of schizophrenia, which he's at the right age for (late teens to early 20s). Or he might be bipolar too, who knows. The good news is that treating the schizoid breaks with meds are good if they're caught early and they aren't too severe (I think the current treatment is Risperdal).

There's a time to be there for your friends, a time to tell your friends to snap out of it and stop acting wack, and a time to throw in the towel and call in the professionals. Like someone said, it's not snitching, it's being a real friend and doing the right thing. From what it sounds like, it wasn't severe enough that you felt like he was a threat to himself or else you and your other friends wouldn't have let him go on the trip...and there's also the chance he'll come back and be the same as before. But if I were you I'd keep an eye on him, and tell him "Hey, you were acting kind of strange before you left and we were concerned about you...is everything cool, is there anything you want to talk about?" Try to be as gentle and non-confrontational as possible, and let him know that you're not trying to get him locked up, etc.

as pet said, the mental crisis helpline was not much of a help. i was only referred to a few other numbers, who only told me in return that the best they could do was to send a community outreach counsellor (who would be accompanied by a uniformed pig to apprehend him under the mental health act, assuming he is diagnosed on the spot)

& you are right shai, he is hearing voices. i just returned home after skating & had an email waiting from the other friend that was there last night to witness this. he recieved more calls from our friend after dropping me off, who was convinced that we were outside his residence, talking & making noises

his mind is apparently in even worse shape in mtl, & he is being taken to a hospital by the others. im sure its for the best & am awaiting further updates. its a good thing he is being admitted to a hospital this early on & i guess the most likely scenario/best outcome for him now is to try to live a happy & fulfilling life with the aid of meds

just sucks, you know? to know there are the likes of child predators/serial killers/rapists/animal abusers/misc. scumbags out there that will never be brought to street justice, & to have this happen to a guy who wouldnt hurt a fly. of all you could lose in life, a persons sanity is the worst in my opinion. i always thought karma was one of the rare things i could put most of my faith into but this is just another reason in favour of world misanthropy /noemofag

anyone that took this lightly, whether you posted or not, i aint mad atcha. its the internet after all, & i am as guilty as anyone else for laughing at another persons misfortunes in the past. as i said, it just feels better to get it off my chest. thanks to everyone who actually read all that noise & tried to help out, much appreciated

I certainly didn't read the back pages on this shit seeing it's an old ass thread and I didn't read all the new replies after seeing some that showed a lack of knowledge on the subject. To say a few educated thoughts here off the top of my head.........

Psychosis can come out of depression, substance use, brain damage, organic causes, or occur on its own as in schizophrenia. There is some truth to the fact that it can relate to some truths in the individual's reality but if you're not trained to understand such things you're probably not going to be able to help much, and certainly not now in the moment.

Whether or not weed can cause psychosis, it most certainly does not help it.

Your friend is of an age where he could be having a psychotic break/onset of schizophrenia but that is tough to say without seeing him or knowing his history.

What strikes me as interesting is you are SO worried about your friend, yet you don't want to turn him over to mental health professionals despite the situation being out of your control. Understandably the mental health field is not perfect, but definitely more equipped to handle this situation. If this is substance related, he could come out of it sooner than later, but you have no real way to know that. If he was having pain in his chest and arm, how long would you wait before driving him to a hospital? Regardless of what you decide to do, you are correct to be concerned.

If you have ?s on any of this feel free to PM.

Real talk, ur boy sounds classic schitsophrenia. At first I thought meth too, but when you said he smoked with you and quickly it got worse, that was a dead giveaway. Schitsoids I've known either can not ever smoke because they know it makes them extra crazy, or they try and self medicate like your boy, they think it helps them but in reality it clearly makes it worse.

If this is really a good friend you need to interveine with his family and get him real help, he needs medication - and I'm not the type to reccommend meds at all... But this dude seems to clearly have progressing schitsophrenia

he is being admitted to a hospital in mtl (probably has been by this time) by the friends he went there with & the ones in toronto are anxiously awaiting updates. his parents are halfway around the world, & probably will be for a while (assuming thats the reason they sent him a birthday present). its important to all of us that his parents must know about this, but i doubt anyone has a way to get into contact with them other than their own child. something will definitely be done about that though, through extensive facebook lurking his/his familys contacts, even if we have to kick his door in to look for emergency numbers, etc

we were all worried starting from a couple days ago (myself & the other guy starting from last night), but they were worried that being confrontational & telling him that hes being cut off from the trip on the evening before departure mightve had a detrimental effect on his mind, because he was sketched out in return (when others would worry/ask him simple questions such as "are you ok" or "is there anything you wanna talk about"). 2 days ago, & earlier last night, they were givng him the benefit of the doubt. at the time i was originally typing all that out, i was quite convinced that it was a serious mental issue, & that he isnt just going to snap out of it. this is also a few hours before his departure to mtl, & i knew i could trust the others to watch over him & to admit him to a hospital if it progressed further

we knew institutionalization was the best answer once there was no doubt about his mental state, it was never about snitching (which it isnt even snitching to begin with). if i was the one that had to make the call to the hospital, i would have because its undoubtedly for the best in the long run, despite how wrong it may be in my friends head

Probs a good thing for him he's in the hosp. getting professional help mental illness is no joke.

I can't smoke weed at all anymore without spazzing out. I stopped smoking that shit ages back and never touch it, I'm still not 100% but have a good handle on it.

I had another friend where a similar thing happened to him he ended up in a mental institution for a while and now he's a full blown junky selling his ass out for shit apparently... It is pretty sad and I rarely see that guy anymore.

I haven't smoked weed for a long time. Not because of schizoid breaks but I've learned to listen to what my body tells me and it definitely knows better.

I'm glad your friends are trying to get him some help. The alternative can turn out far worse.

Yeah, I've had to deal with far too many mentally fucked up people in the past few years. It's getting really old...I used to be a fairly compassionate person but I feel like that side of me is beginning to shut down. It troubles me sometimes but after all the emotional vampires and drama I've had to put up with I start to feel like it might just be what I need at this stage in my life.

What I've realized is that there's two kinds of people out there- people who genuinely need help and people who want attention. I'll point the people who really need help in the right direction and tell the people who just want a shoulder to cry on that I have it way worse and that I don't bitch about it, what's their excuse?

It's harsh but those people will never stop once they get their hooks in.

i was well suprised to see this bumped (MrJD is an old user name of mine)...

sorry to hear about your mate MedicineCabinet - its a fucking tough thing to deal with.

while im here, ill update yall on what happened after my original post way back when...

-the girl was sectioned and diagnosed with manic schizophrenia and spent the 6months after the incident locked away. when she was let out she moved back home for a bit...

the year after, somone decided it would have been a good idea for her to move back in with us all whilst we were still students. it was not. she skitzed out again and again but would completely ignore all of us trying to help her. she ended up loosing 5 of her closest friends (me inc.)

after all the shit we went through first time, and then the absurd amounts of crap the second time i decided id had enough and fucked her off out of my life (although living with her, this wasnt too easy). i felt dark about it at the time, but i was in my final year at uni and she was making it impossible to get shit done (exams and what not).

i remember moving out being the happiest day of my life. no contact since (that was 2006)...

my advice: get out and stay out. leave it for the professionals.

^ thats what i remember the doctors telling me.

manic becuase everything became so unbelieveably hectic with her. literally jumoing from one random topic to the next in the blink of the eye.

schizophrenic cos she thought there were people with her everywhere she went.