basically, HELP ME

MrJackDaniels

right guys and gals, i need help majorly. this may well be a long story but it all needs to be told and i need ADVICE.

the background info:

i live in a house with 7 others. there are 4 boys and 4 girls. one of the girls, lets call her jane, has developed what we think could be schizophrenia recently.

jane, as i know her, has always been a hectic person. hectic in terms of being busy (and thus stressing out).

this summer, the house has only been half full - 3 guys (me inc.) and her. its been a pretty chilled out summer - we spent a lot of it smoking weed and watching tv.

a couple of weeks ago, jane went on holiday with her mates from back home. and after she got back (ie. 2 days later) it was her birthday (she went raving and took over 2g's of coke.) now please bear in mind that she has a history of being a bit fucked up and turning to drugs. her parents slipt when she was a teen and she turned to drugs as a way to sort it. this could be part of the problem.

whats happened recently:

she went home for a day or two and then the next thing we know as a house (again, bear in mind we all love her to bits) she comes running in shouting at me to close the window because "we are being spied on by The Sun ( a tabloid news paper here in the UK). she thought she was being watched on the train and being photo'ed. i really dont want to go into that big a detail because i dont understand it. but all the classic signs of schizophrenia are there. she's been talking about how the government is sending her texts saying the world is going to be bombed etc.

she has spent the last 2 days wigging out. im shook, along with the rest of the house. i havent a fucking scooby do about how to deal with a peson out of their mind. she has freely admitted that there are voices in her head telling her to "sort her life out".

i came home from work tonight to find her mumbling something about the numbers being wrong.

she's been to a doctors today (im leaving out the details of her going AWOL and randomly turning up in certain places after following her "guardian angel" (some random one night stand a next housemate had). we've been given phone numbers of people who will come get her if she skats out. thats scary enough as it is.

(as i type)

its half 2 in the morning and she has come down stairs screwing about some random trip to australia for 3 days with a "james"....

what the fucking fuck???

basically what i need to know off you lot is what the flying fuck can we do as her mates?

im scared as fuck.

help, please.

(im gonna email kabar a link to this as he seems to know his stuff)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not get involved.

I repeat.....

DO NOT GET INVOLVED

the second you do...this crazy chick is going to latch onto you with a deathgrip and drag you into the pool of quicksand that is her life

harsh but i speak from past experience......let this one go

i cant not get involved.

she is my mate, i have "history" with her (Althougth nothing serious) and our whole household has been thrown into turnmoil. we are all students and start our new years on monday so this is really not the best of times whatsoever.

i dont want to be mean or horrible, but apparntly (according two the other girls in the house) is the fact that a lot of weeds is or was smoked by her and it has flipped her. if she wants help surely she needs to stop the drug taking.

this house is not the best house for that to happen.

why wont anyone agree with me?

I am Topiko

Originally posted by MrJackDaniels@Oct 1 2005, 01:45 AM

right guys and gals, i need help majorly. this may well be a long story but it all needs to be told and i need ADVICE.

the background info:

i live in a house with 7 others. there are 4 boys and 4 girls. one of the girls, lets call her jane, has developed what we think could be schizophrenia recently.

jane, as i know her, has always been a hectic person. hectic in terms of being busy (and thus stressing out).

this summer, the house has only been half full - 3 guys (me inc.) and her. its been a pretty chilled out summer - we spent a lot of it smoking weed and watching tv.

a couple of weeks ago, jane went on holiday with her mates from back home. and after she got back (ie. 2 days later) it was her birthday (she went raving and took over 2g's of coke.) now please bear in mind that she has a history of being a bit fucked up and turning to drugs. her parents slipt when she was a teen and she turned to drugs as a way to sort it. this could be part of the problem.

whats happened recently:

she went home for a day or two and then the next thing we know as a house (again, bear in mind we all love her to bits) she comes running in shouting at me to close the window because "we are being spied on by The Sun ( a tabloid news paper here in the UK). she thought she was being watched on the train and being photo'ed. i really dont want to go into that big a detail because i dont understand it. but all the classic signs of schizophrenia are there. she's been talking about how the government is sending her texts saying the world is going to be bombed etc.

she has spent the last 2 days wigging out. im shook, along with the rest of the house. i havent a fucking scooby do about how to deal with a peson out of their mind. she has freely admitted that there are voices in her head telling her to "sort her life out".

i came home from work tonight to find her mumbling something about the numbers being wrong.

she's been to a doctors today (im leaving out the details of her going AWOL and randomly turning up in certain places after following her "guardian angel" (some random one night stand a next housemate had). we've been given phone numbers of people who will come get her if she skats out. thats scary enough as it is.

(as i type)

its half 2 in the morning and she has come down stairs screwing about some random trip to australia for 3 days with a "james"....

what the fucking fuck???

basically what i need to know off you lot is what the flying fuck can we do as her mates?

im scared as fuck.

help, please.

(im gonna email kabar a link to this as he seems to know his stuff)

Definately kabar is more qualified than I to speak on such matters but here is my advice...

Tell her family what the fuck is up. More than likely they will want her institutionalized. If not, get her institutionalized somehow anyways, she needs some professional help and a safe place to sort through her head and clean out her system. I don't know if you can talk her into doing this or what.... but do something.

*If you have to, tell her she'll be safe from "them" if she goes to the hospital.... Which, technically she will be.

The fact that she went to the doctor is a big step in the right direction. If i had to guess, there isn't a whole lot you can do for her except just be there to try to keep her as calm as possible. Just talk to her, try to console her when shes getting really wigged out. Other than that, make sure shes going to a doctor/psych and getting soome professional help, because it sounds like she really needs it. Just keep being there for her.

her parents know.

they came down today to try and help.

its just so scary to see some one wigging out about really really wierd things (we've found a few common themes, mainly making money and also Indians being knowledgeable).

im scared.

the doctor said that we should try and relate what she says in her random modes back to something normal, but this seems to be impossible.

and, alow the stupid comments. this is serious.

i remeber reading a story in the paper about how cannabis can bring out mental problems. it happens to one in ten people i think...i just never thought id be this close to it...

(im not worried about my smoking habits though....)

I really think she should be inpatient for a while.

The funny thing about cannabis is that it's a psychedelic, so it can pretty much do anything to your brain. Not like uppers or downers or whatever that affect a certain part of the brain or chemical or receptor. Anything can happen, literally. Though most people do maintain control. You can open your mind through meditation, in a very orderly manner, or through psychedelics, which can be chaotic, depending.

Usually, Problems like these are ongoing. They also come and go. You will most likely see extreme ups and downs in her if you hang around long enough to see it. I have a family member who has schitzophrenia and paranoia. She thinks that the whole world is in on a conspiracy against her. And it is different things all the time. Sometimes she won't eat the food at restaurants and sometimes she thinks people are trying to kill her. Again, this is a family member of mine, She Is on medication, When I was a kid I used to hate that she was on medication, but sometimes she just stops taking it, and thats when she flips. It's a real bugged out experience because they look just like the person you know, but something is seriously wrong with them, It can be really scary, because you don't know what they might do. I am glad I don't have paranoia issues because I have a short temper and if i thought there were paparazzi with cameras outside my window I would probably go outside and end up merking the mail man or something. My advice is, If you plan on staying around her, then talk toher, ask her lots of questions, get in her head and make jokes about her paranoia if they are absolutely outrageous. laugh with her about it, But don't make fun of her or she'll tie you into her paranoia and you will become the boogie man. I'm just speaking from experience and a little bit of phychology knowledge. Basically, show her that she is bugging, but some advice, Keep it at a distance, don't let her latch on to you, because she'll use you as a mental pacifier and suck on your mind when her brain gets hairy. knowhatImean?

OK.

I doubt that your friend is actually schizophrenic.

Large amounts of amphetamines are known to produce schizo-like symptoms. There is a condition called "cocaine induced psychotic disorder" that she may have.

There are some scholarly references out there, here is a google search...

If you are serious about getting her some help, you should tell her doctor, or at least her parents about the coke.

First of all, don't listen to LENS because he has no idea what he's talking about. It sounds like she is becoming seriously mentally ill and she needs her friends to stand by her because if they don't she'll get even worse and could likely do something very bad to herself. Going to a doctor is a move in the right direction, you're right about that. Tell her family what is going on, make sure she gets help, lithuim or depakote or something that can help her calm down. It sounds like she's in a manic state, not schitzo. I have a LOT of experience with this, and again do not abandon her. You'll regret it.

Originally posted by bathoræ@Sep 30 2005, 10:53 PM

Large amounts of amphetamines are known to produce schizo-like symptoms. There is a condition called "cocaine induced psychotic disorder" that she may have.

If you are serious about getting her some help, you should tell her doctor, or at least her parents about the coke.

There aren't too many people that can blow through half a ball of coke by themselves and not be a paranoid mess for the next few days. Some people take longer to snap out of it. That's just what the drug does to a lot of people.

Since you're not directly regulating her substance intake, nor should you be, you really have no way of knowing whether she is still taking amphetamines or coke at this point. (Is she inpatient or just seeing the doctor. Has she slept?)

One of the first things on your mind, before anything else right now, is for you and the rest of the house to put down the fucking pipe and empty your house of any and all illegal substances.

You don't need to be stoned while you're dealing with this and your house doesn't need to be full of drugs when the police come poking around. Then again, I don't know the drug laws in Aussieland.

the doctor said that we should try and relate what she says in her random modes back to something normal, but this seems to be impossible.

No, you're just not thinking about it right. You're not going to be able to decipher everything, but if you know her, try to have a conversation with her. She may be speaking in extreme abstractions and metaphor, but it will probably relate to reality in some way.

Theyre was this guy in my old nieghborhood who started to come down with a severe case of schitzo/paronoia.We called him the "ambasador" for some reason. and his family turned a blind eye to it. his friends would bust his balls. this guy was like 6'5 350 pound gorrila.and if you looked him in the eye he would go nuts and chase you away. and whenever a cop car/fire truck/ambulance would fly by with theyre sirens on.he would go craaaaaaaazy, chasing the cars,running in circles.foaming at the mouth.dude needed serious help. He ended up burning down a building in wich 3 people died in.it took literaly the whole police precent to get this guy down and put the cuffs on him.hes still in the puzzle factory till this day

Originally posted by fermentor666@Sep 30 2005, 11:47 PM

I gotta say, LENS, what you're saying is some ignorant, selfish shit.

You've apparently not dealt with too many women that like to pull crazy bullshit like this on purpose to get attention.

That isn't what this case sounds like, but I've seen it, probably 10 times in the past 5 years.

my vote is for drug induced paranoia and schizoid like split, probably not permenant schizophrenia, however that is possible.

you've already done the things you should, now you've just got to be suportive. i disagree with the idea of keeping her at a distance cause she'll rely on you, blah blah. she's not a baby chicken, she doesnt think you're her mother. she needs people to make her feel safe right now, if you can be one of them, then you should be. if she's really permenantly fucked, then she's probably going to be leaving your house, since that's not at all a good environment for her. there's really nothing to worry about.

you cant look at what she's saying in absolute literal terms. if she keeps talking about the same things over and over, try and view them metaphorically or abstractly. in her head, the things she's saying make sense, you just have to look at it as a riddle sort of, and find the pattern. find the parts that she's skipping.

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus+Oct 1 2005, 05:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biggus Dickus - Oct 1 2005, 05:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Sep 30 2005, 11:47 PM

I gotta say, LENS, what you're saying is some ignorant, selfish shit.

You've apparently not dealt with too many women that like to pull crazy bullshit like this on purpose to get attention.

That isn't what this case sounds like, but I've seen it, probably 10 times in the past 5 years.

[/b]

Listen, I'm not going to get into my private life, but I've come close to that road and I've lost someone very, very close to me because I was young and didn't understand and pushed her away. It's something I deeply regret. So don't tell me I haven't been around it.