Videogame Thread Fall Edition

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after a brief play on ultimate spiderman for the pc.....

bad ass. simply amazing comic style/3d graphics.

they used to have a 3d spiderman on mtv....think those kind of graphics. very bad ass.

my problem:

i have a 2 ghz system (overclocked from 1.6)

512 ram

a video card with 128 megs of ram

nice soundcard

and there is noticeable lag in some parts of the game.

so, if you're gonna play this, make sure you ahve the right hardware.

I hear that USM is horribly short, but good.

I can't can't can't wait for Brothers In Arms: Earned In Blood! The first one was amazing (best WWII FPS EVER!!!) and Ubisoft is saying that this next one coming up (October 18th) is going to have much better AI.

257761.jpg

brothers-in-arms-earned-in-blood-20050725115625945.jpg

I seriously don't know why Ubisoft doesn't use the technology used in Brothers In Arms to make Rainbow Six better.

------------------

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/brothers-in-arms-2/653485p1.html

On the A.I. side, players will notice many improvements in Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood. Besides an improved combat chatter system and a new situational conversation system, this game features a completely new enemy A.I. combat system that allows the enemies to better analyze and react to the player's movements. What this means is that in Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood, the enemies will be looking or ways to flank the player and will try to counter any tactics the player uses against them. This new system allows for amazingly dynamic and exciting fire fights.

Specifically, we discovered that players were much smarter than we expected. We discovered that players really wanted to feel that they were fighting for their lives out there in Normandy -- that they were really fighting against these German troops.

So, we were compelled to re-think our A.I. system for the enemies. We wanted to make sure that the German squads would think and make more decisions for themselves, and we wanted the player to feel the pressure of them firing and moving. We wanted the Germans to fight like they wanted to win -- especially the better trained, elite German units that paratroopers encountered as the invasion rolled on.

I still play warcraft 3 RoC like a religion... Currently playing Burnout for PSP (its nice). Just beat lumines, that game is SICK. Puzzle type game like tetris but it looks and sounds so SICK. I was playing it on the plane back from Cali and the guy sitting next to me was like "What IS that?!".

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus@Oct 3 2005, 02:57 AM

I just downloaded and started Metroid: Zero Mission for GBA.    It's pretty cool so far, I love the 2D Metroid games.

Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time.

as for Final Fantasy XII... i've seen a lot of conflicting release dates. some say this year, some say next. in a magazine i just bought it said it wasn't being released in Japan until March of 2006... so it wouldn't be released here until sometime after that. i hope it's sooner than that, though.

OMG, AI in Rainbow Six is horrible! USELESS!

You know, I haven't played a FF game since II. Am I missing much? Seriously. Like, I enjoy a great storyline, but will I get that from Final Fantasy? Or will I get some Japanese bullshit that only a white kid who grew up watching Pokeman will appreciate?

'Cuz I'm not really feeling those ten foot swords and stuff. But I like fantasy. Someone give me a good argument!

*btw, Spirits Within was a cool movie, IMO.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Didn't know where to put this, either here or the SuperheroHype thread, and didn't want to make a new thread.

Halo movie recruits Peter Jackson

Oscar-winning film director Peter Jackson and his team will produce the forthcoming film based on popular video game Halo.

The director, who is reported to be an avid fan of Halo, will use his Weta production facilities in Wellington, New Zealand where the film will also be shot.

Alex Garland, author of popular novel The Beach, has written the script.

A director and cast are expected to be named in coming weeks.

Alien race

Universal film studios, which will oversee the film's production and distribution, hinted that the movie will draw heavily on the game.

"The game is a good template," said Donna Langley, Universal's production president.

Halo has a complex mix of mythology, characters and worlds and follows the adventures of futuristic super-soldier Master Chief as he fights to save mankind from an alien race.

The game, originally released in 2001, has sold in excess of five million copies around the world. A sequel came out last year.

Peter Jackson is best known for his Lord of the Rings trilogy which was heralded as a movie triumph. On the Halo film Mr Jackson and his wife have been named as executive producers.

In a recorded clip shown at Microsoft's X05 Summit held in Amsterdam Mr Jackson said he had been playing Halo 2 in the evening while shooting King Kong and added that he "can't wait" to work on the film.

The Halo film is due to be released in mid-2007 by Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox film studios.

It joins a growing trend of video games turned movies.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Doom have all already made it to the silver screen.

Microsoft has done well out of the Halo deal, receiving a reported payment of £2.8m plus 10% of movie ticket sales.

Bungie, the Microsoft-owned venture which developed Halo, said at the time it was looking for "someone who's as committed to the Halo universe as Peter Jackson was to Tolkien's Middle-Earth".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4311756.stm

Here's some XBOX360 news from maxconsole.net

Microsoft Licenses Princeton Digital Reverb for Xbox 360

Princeton Digital and Microsoft have entered into a joint development and licensing agreement to develop professional quality audio processing software for Microsoft’s Xbox 360. Under the terms of the licensing agreement, Microsoft will include a custom version of the Princeton Digital reverb, the Reverb2016/360, with the Xbox Software Development Kit, thereby adding a powerful, flexible and natural sounding reverb to the game developer’s audio toolkit.

Princeton Digital’s reverbs have been used on hundreds of recordings over the last 20 years. These reverbs are known for their natural sound but require processing power well beyond the capabilities of previous generation game platforms. The Xbox 360’s powerful processors have the power to run these natural sounding reverb simulations with ease.

The Princeton Digital Reverb2016/360 is a 5.1 channel enhanced version of the classic Reverb 2016. Enhancements include multi-channel output, new parameters to control the size of the room, room resonance, independent position controls and filtering to simulate obstructions and occlusions.

Ten Xbox 360 Dev Kits Stolen

It looks as if TEN Microsoft Xbox 360 development kits have gone missing or more likely stolen, from a warehouse in Düren, Germany. The Austrian federals and the German public prosecutor’s office started an investigation and have since seized three of these Xbox 360 development kits from their respective parties.

News source

I took the liberty to use babel.altavista.com to translate the german website.....

Unknown ones stole ten top secret prototypes of the new Microsoft play console Xbox 360

The US computer company Microsoft ten top secret prototypes, so-called development kit, are which new play console Xbox 360 stolen, which is to only come into Germany on 2 December punctually to the Christmas business into the trade. The devices had come at the end of of August into neutral packing as well as other Microsoft products on air freight pallets from Hong Kong to Germany. By a storage hall in Dueren out they should be further-dispatched at play developers, in order to adjust their software with the new technology. Only few days after the theft had emerged photos of the new consoles in the InterNet. In the meantime determine the Austrian Federal Criminal Investigation Office in Vienna as well as the public prosecutor's office Bonn in the case. They scanned so far dwellings and business premises in Lower Austria and in the rheinischen Troisdorf and guaranteed thereby three consoles. The remaining seven devices are further untraceable.

It's a little rough, but you get the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a cool article about Spielberg and EA.

http://www.ps3portal.com/?view=article&article=195

The acclaimed hollywood director and producer, Steven Spielberg, has signed a long-term exclusive deal with publisher Electronic Arts. The deal will require the famous director to create three brand new intellectual properties while working with Electronic Arts' Los Angeles based studios. It is said that EA will be the owner of these games.

Speaking through a press release, EA Los Angeles Studio vice president, Neil Young said, "It's really the first time a filmmaker, and a filmmaker of Steven Spielberg caliber will collaborate at this level on an original game. He understands how our medium works and wants to push it in different directions, putting innovations in a game that no one has ever seen before."

According to Young, the deal requires much more of Spielberg's interest in the videogames rather than just be there for quick consultations. Making it a move quite similar to how director Peter Jackson had been collaborating with game developer Ubisoft while developing King Kong, the game. "It will be several years before the first of three Spielberg-EA games hits store shelves" ,Young added.

Spielberg, whose films such as Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, E.T and Raiders of the Lost Ark don't require any introduction for the videogame crowd, seemed very excited about the deal as he has been an avid gamer for years.

He commented in an official statement, "I have been playing EA games for years and have watched them master the interactive format. Having watched the game industry grow from a niche to a major creative force in entertainment, I have a great deal of respect for EA's understanding of the interactive format. I'm looking forward to working closely with the team in Los Angeles."

The deal between a major hollywood director and one of the biggest gaming publishers explains a lot about the mutual interests and opportunities that both of these industries hold for each other. It is another big step towards building a positive relationship between videogames and movies.

Don't forget F.E.A.R.

I played Ultimate Spider-Man and loved it! Except that it took me six hours to beat the story. The graphics are superb, and the storyline is decent enough, but, really - six hours?

I'm not about to go do thirty more race missions just to unlock some costumes.

Originally posted by JohnnyHorton@Oct 30 2005, 07:41 PM

gun looks fucking sick.

For real. After reading about it, I think it will be my next purchase.

Guys in the review had it for like 2 days and didnt even get to the main city or any of the missions.

Aparently it is bigger or equal to the size of GTA..

F.E.A.R sucks... they blew all the good surprises in the demo of the game, I would recommend against

buying fear because it's nothing special, it's a first person shooter with good graphics and a "bullet time"

button. The scary parts of the game are very few and far between, you end up pretty much slaughtering

enemy after enemy hoping that maybe something scary will happen.... it doesn't.... you kill enemies

for another 10 minutes, thinking, I'm close to a scary part, I just know.... nope, you're not....

I'd give it a 5/10 because of the good graphics, the lack of scary parts severely detriments from

this game's cool status.

Oh.... and Quake 4 is ... SSSWwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeet.