Question about turn tables...

Dirty_habiT

Alright I've decided to get a turntable for various reasons but I don't know anything about them. I've been recommended TEACs and Technics' but all I am wanting to do with them is listen/rip the music to my computer. What is a good model or other brand turntable that would work? Also, the needle... what can you tell me about those?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

if your just planning on ripping records you should probably focus more on the needle than the turntable itself.

some cheaper turntables are made by numark, american audio, gemini.

but they will not be good for dj'ing, scratching.

good cartridges/needles are made by ortofon, stanton and shure

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Sep 9 2005, 04:19 PM

Alright I've decided to get a turntable for various reasons but I don't know anything about them. I've been recommended TEACs and Technics' but all I am wanting to do with them is listen/rip the music to my computer.

Stop lying. We all know you're just going to stay home and:

dancengraff.jpg

If you are planning on only listening and recording vinyl to your computer than you dont need a direct drive turntable....you just need a decent needle. The needle you choose will depend on how big of an audiophile you are. Check out the tables and needles listed at turntablelab They have good reviews on the equipment they stock...good place to research before you hunt around the web searching for the best deal.

dont forget about ebay.

here's what you should do....

dont buy a 'dj' table unless you want to dj

I have two turntables, one's an older Akai that just plays records

and the other is a tech for scratching and fucking around. I have

the tech set up to work for scratching, so the tone arm is weighted

forwards (to keep the needle in the groove) and that will wear out

normal records really fast. Just get a simple player and you'll be fine.

The companies that make dj turntables aren't your only choice.

Lots of well respected audio companies like Akai or Sony made

turntables that the audiophiles swear by. Plus they're cheap.

oh... I got both my tables for free from friends.

musiciansfriend.com

they always have a good clearance section. you can pick up a referbished or blemished table for like 100 bones...i bought a blemished mixer from there and the only thing wrong with it was a minor cosmetic issue...it was a $450 vestax mixer, i got it for like $150...really ANY table off of that website will more than suite your needs...i wouldn't even worry if it wasn't direct drive or not for what you need it for.

as for "needles", shure makes great ones...the m44-7's are fucking amazing sound quality, and they're pretty cheap...plus if you get them, they're some of the best cartridges for scratching if you decide to get into that.

oh, and i'd recomend using audacity for recording the records onto your computer...the software is free, and there's "effects" in it like "normalise", "auto eq", and "noise reduction"...all perfect for making the recordings sound almost cd quality(i record all of my dj mixes this way, the sound qoaulity is usually better then most dj mix cd's you purchaes at a store)/....you'll need a mixer though...you run the table into the mixer, then run the mixer to the comp...you need to do this because you need the table grounded, and it'll sound 100x's better. you'll need a dual rca to 1/8" cord to run the mixer to the comp(unless you have rca ins on the comp)...

with the portable i guess you don't need a mixer either because it has a headphone out...you'd run a cord from the "headphone out" to the "mic in" (of your comp), and that should be fine. any quality lost recording this way should be unoticed after mastering it in audacity with those effets i was talking about.

Shure m-447 are scratching needles. Sound quality is not up to par with needles for listening. They are made for high volume output and minimal wear on your record.

An audiophile would go for the shure white labels or ortofon or even the top of the line stanton needles.

I'd consider rumpunchers advice and look into some non-dj brand tables as well.