Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CIPHER_one

DVD-R questions

Is it possible to burn over an hour of footage onto a DVD-R without the quality being decreased? Special DVD-R's that can only be ordered perhaps??

thanks

DVD-DL discs are around twice the size of DVD-Rs. They require a burner that supports them and the discs themselves are pretty steep right now.

I don't know what program you're using or what your source is, but many commerical movies with 120 minute running times will easily fit on a DVD-R without being lower quality than anything else, so you may want to look into what bitrate you're encoding at.

If you're just playing on the computer, or have a DVD player that will support MPEG4 formats, you could always encode to high bitrate DivX like pirate releases do, and end up with somewhere around 12 hours on a single disc.

an hour! damn you! that's 4.7 gigs of space. what the fuck are you burning to only be an hour? is it high def? wtf?

sorry, but there's really alot of space on a dvd. you should be fine.

Well, if you look on the back of DVD-R's, they say:

1 Hour= XP Highest Quality

2 Hours= SP Good Quality

4 Hours= whatever

Etc etc.

Kind of like on a VHS...actually exactly like it. You know what I'm sayin? So anything over an hour it has to go down in quality..

you should be fine with the sp setting is what i'm saying. it's the compression, etc you use on the film that makes or breaks it.

That information is probably based on burning actual DV quality shit, not the MPEG2 that DVDs were made for. Marketing bullshit is strange these days.

Right on, I usually export as a quicktime file and I can up the quality for that, or i could export it as an Mpeg-2 or whatever. I'm not too familiar with the other formats, or which ones are better. any advice as far as that's concerned?

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this