GAS PRICES HIT AN ALL TIME HIGH!!!

PurpleNerple

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

What he's saying is that the production of the food we eat, no matter what it is, is so heavily industrialized that it takes at least 10 calories worth of oil to produce one calorie of food.

Basically the human race has bred and populated the planet to a point that cannot be sustained by naturally growing food by individuals with no machinery. If we run out of oil with our current reliance on it, more than 75% of the population will starve to death within weeks unless something else can be figured out.

We also rely on oil to produce the fertilizers and other chemicals that allow us to milk as much food as we do from soil that has been barren of nutrients for years now.

^I should add though, that most of America's fertile agricultural land isn''t being used because too much vegtable production would drive down the prices (making it harder on smalltime farmers) and to allow equal production amoung the states. The Government literally pays farmers in certain areas not to grow anything.

In Australia we are paying around $1.30 a litre.

It was under a $1 about 3 months ago.

And our government heavily taxes fuels.

Like most petrol stations make only 2c per litre on the fuel they sell. And to top it off, 2 of the biggest retail companires in the country are buying into the market by buying out service stations. So we will soon end up with a duopoly and then we will be really stuffed.

So consider yourselves lucky in the States.

The arguement that europeans pay more for gas and we should stop bitching isn't fairly weighted. The European cities developed during a time when feet and hooves where the main mode of transportation. We grew (for the most part) on cars, with the exception of some Eastern cities. That's an apples to oranges kind of situation. If I could ride a bike to school and to work without devoting eight hours of my day doing it, I would. So I drive.

The mass tansit in America is terrible in comparison to what is crackin in Europe. Everywhere i go here i am surrounded by tunnels and bridge tunnels. It would be impossible to get where i needed to go if i rode a bike everywhere. Even in some of the smallest towns i had been to in Germany when i lived there had at least one train station so that you could get the hell out if you needed too.