So Where's the Foreign Aid?

Gunm

SOmething occured to me this morning on the way to work...how come no one is offering to send u said to help deal with this disaster?

Maybe I have been asleep at the switch but has France, Britain, Russia, ANYONE sending money, supplies, aid of any sort? The only country i have heard of that offered aid was venezuela which is suprising in the wake of that idiot preacher running his mouth off.

The United States has always been first to offer aid, money and assistance in a majority of fucked up situations across the globe. Remember the tsunami when we donated the most cash and resources to assist? ANd when we were ciriticized for not helping out enough we doubled the aid being doled out to asia?

So now when we need help, when we need someone to get our back, all these mother fuckers just sit on their hands and watch. Don't give me this bullshit either about how "Oh kid, this is just us getting payback for fucking shit up in IRAQ." I don't think so.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Canadian agencies are saying that foreign aid is probably not being permitted into Louisiana and Mississippi because of "mass confusion" at the U.S. federal level in the wake of the storm.

http://storiesinamerica.dailykos.com/story...8/31/235829/261

US won't let Canada help Katrina victims

Nations hit by tsunami are offering to send aid

The New York Times, The Boston Globe, The Associated Press

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/02/news/react.php

Oddly, however, the administration of President George W. Bush evinced an ambivalent attitude toward the world's generosity. The president said that international aid was appreciated but unnecessary; other administration officials indicated that all offers of help would be gratefully accepted.

The offers of foreign aid kept pouring in on Friday: helicopters from Canada, cash from Japan, tents and military aircraft from France, even oil from Venezuela, a political foe.

Asia-Pacific nations - including tsunami-battered Sri Lanka - promised Friday to send money and disaster relief experts to the United States to help deal with the aftermath of the storm.

Australia topped the list of nations in the Asia-Pacific in the region that pledged aid.

Japan and Singapore - which along with Australia are among Washington's strongest allies in the region - were also quick to promise help.

Some of Asia's poorer nations also offered to help, including some of those hit hardest by the last December's tsunami.

Sri Lanka, which received substantial U.S. military and other foreign aid after the tsunami killed more than 31,000 and displaced one million there, on Friday pledged $25,000 to the American Red Cross.

The government also urged Sri Lankan-born physicians living in the United States to volunteer their services to the relief effort.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by LENS@Sep 2 2005, 06:33 AM

The United States has always been first to offer aid, money and assistance in a majority of fucked up situations across the globe. Remember the tsunami when we donated the most cash and resources to assist? ANd when we were ciriticized for not helping out enough we doubled the aid being doled out to asia?

USA’s aid, in terms of percentage of their GNP has almost always been lower than any other industrialized nation in the world, though paradoxically in the last four years, their dollar amount has been the highest. (Only in 2004 did they move up from last place by one.)

Since 1992, Japan had been the largest donor of aid, in terms of raw dollars. That was until 2001 when the United States reclaimed that position, a year that also saw Japan’s amount of aid drop by nearly 4 billion dollars (as tables and charts below will also show).

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/D...lowonGNIpercent

We actually don't spend nearly as much as the rest of the rich world when you look at what we could offer. If a rich man gives me $5 it has little impact on his bottom line, but a poor man doing the same thing made a true gesture of concern and a sacrifice for his fellow man. You have the impression we are the only ones helping because our media, when experienced only passively, does not offer a well covered world review. When we are sending money to Tsunami victims, other countries are involved elsewhere in longer term projects...and the rest of the world does contribute at these times as well anyway

Know something before you say something...

Yeah we offered something like $50,000 in the first place. Soon after that, Japan gave some amount in the millions and everyone started criticizing Bush for giving what amounts to a useless amount of pocket change on this scale.

Soon after they increased it greatly, our current government did not want to donate as much as they did by any means.

It's like they don't give a fuck cause it's all poor black people in a Democratic city.

If it was rich white republicans, thousands of troops and other aid workers woulda been there the minute the storm let up. That's a fact. This is what happens when capitalism gets out of hand.

Originally posted by SF1@Sep 2 2005, 11:06 PM

It's like they don't give a fuck cause it's all poor black people in a Democratic city. 

If it was rich white republicans, thousands of troops and other aid workers woulda been there the minute the storm let up. That's a fact. This is what happens when capitalism gets out of hand.

guessing by your name, you live in the bay, right? i was just thinking today, that back in 1989, when the quake happened, SF had emergency aid out the ass, and went about rebuilding almost as soon as the fires were out and the rubble cleared...and oakland, who had a two-mile stretch of freeway collapse in one of the poorest neighborhoods (i should know, i live here), well, the people who lived near the cypress structure were still pulling bodies out of the wreckage months later...and it happened less than a mile away from an army base...and two miles away from a naval air station. the neighborhood, sixteen years later, is still trying to come back...i wonder how much

money they were allocated, and how much they actually got? oh yeah, two years later, we had one of the biggest urban wildfires in state history here...but this time, it happened in the hills, where all the muckety-mucks live...and what do you know, half the firefighters in the state showed up! wow! and, everyone got their FEMA loot, red cross was there so fast you'd think they started the damn fire... and do you think they put the evacuees in the coliseum, for lack of a better place? if they did, then i don't remember it...it sure looked like they weren't struggling to me.

what scares me, is if oakland had some kind of disaster, natural or otherwise...what could we expect, in the way of federal help? i mean, we brought you barbara lee, who was brave enough to speak out against war right after 9-11...would that matter? the population of oakland, i imagine, is demographically not dissimilar from NOLA...we're even about the same size. hopefully, i'll never know, but our city does sit on a fault line...a lot of west oakland, port of oakland, and the airport is built on filled in bay land...also, we have dozens of refineries sitting less than a dozen miles away. i hope i never have to find out whether we're in the good graces of the feds, since i'm pretty sure i know now, having seen all the help new orleans recieved...or hasn't recieved, rather.

Originally posted by LENS@Sep 2 2005, 02:33 PM

Remember the tsunami when we donated the most cash and resources to assist? ANd when we were ciriticized for not helping out enough we doubled the aid being doled out to asia?

I'm so tired of this myth that Americans donated the most. In total, yes, because it's a huge country. But on a per capita basis, which is more important, America is number 18. Number 18!!! That means that 17 countries have donated more per capita. And this in spite of the fact that America is the world's richest country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donations_for...er_capita_basis

Of course we (Europe, Asia, Australia, ... whoever) should still donate to the USA. If they accept our help, that is.

Guest imported_Tesseract

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4216370.stm

EU countries are sending food and other supplies to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, after the US asked the EU and Nato for emergency help at the weekend.

Germany and the UK have already flown in more than 500,000 food rations.

France is flying tents, generators and water purifying plants from Martinique, and a Dutch frigate is taking medicine and helicopters to New Orleans.

Greece has offered two cruise ships to help house thousands of homeless people for several months.

Tiny Luxembourg has 1,000 camp beds and 2,000 blankets at the ready, and Sweden is providing equipment to restore mobile phone networks.

After the aid has been requested, we have basically been able to respond within 24 hours

EU spokeswoman Barbara Helfferich

According to an EU spokeswoman, a dozen EU countries have responded to Washington's request so far.

Romania, which has suffered devastating floods twice this year, is also taking part in the bloc's emergency operation - even though it has not yet joined the EU - by providing two medical teams.

EU spokeswoman Barbara Helfferich said European countries had moved quickly to help the Americans - despite a year of natural disasters at home, including severe forest fires in Spain and Portugal, and widespread floods throughout central and eastern Europe.

"Emergencies like that - forest fires, floods - happen all the time. We are prepared for it, and I can say that in this particular case we have reacted very speedily. After the aid has been requested, we have basically been able to respond within 24 hours," she said.

The aid is co-ordinated by a civil protection centre in the European Commission and by the UK, which currently holds the EU presidency.

Meanwhile, Nato has sent a liaison officer to Washington to assess America's needs.

The US ambassador to Nato, Victoria Nuland, thanked allies - many of whom are also members of the EU - for what she called the "outpouring of support, both emotional and concrete".

The US may not really need baby food from Italy or divers from Belgium, but its call for European and international help shows that, after the divisions over Iraq, it has now realised that even superpowers need friends.

Originally posted by Tesseract@Sep 7 2005, 09:53 AM

"Emergencies like that - forest fires, floods - happen all the time. We are prepared for it, and I can say that in this particular case we have reacted very speedily.

who ever heard of such a thing

don't they know these people are worthless poor folk who don't vote?

Alot of these offers are jokes. Yes good to know Fidel has our best interests in mind, things must have changed overnight. Not like he would have an agenda or anything crazy like that, he loves us. Same with Iran (no nukes, it's for energy!! honest!!) Are you guys really too dimwitted to see how Cuba, Venezuela ect's offers are politically motivated, or are you purposefully overlooking it? Why do you think Fidel rejected the money we offered to him for the hurricanes last year? PROPAGANDA. We would have used the same implication had he accepted our help then as if we accepted his now. "Their way of life is inferior, they rely on our aid!!" Not to mention how badly accepting help from Venezuela would fuck things up with the Saudis.

"The U.S has ignored offers from some of the worlds poorest nations including Cuba, Iran, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Paraguay and El Salvador. "

11_8_2004_Hamid%20Karzai-5.jpg

I GIVE YOU 9 DONKEYS, YOU USE FOR CARRY YES!!

You have a point there, but I also think Castro would use it as an example of his sense of fair play. I'm more cynical when it comes to why the US won't just own up to its pride and say, "We've got it covered, thanks but no thanks."

Pretending like the offers were never extended makes us look pretty arrogant and out-of-touch, and is a bad diplomatic move if I ever saw one.

Originally posted by SF1@Sep 2 2005, 10:06 PM