Almost Four Dollars

why write?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that oil is running out, it's that it's becoming too expensive for everyone.

the cost of a barrel of oil rises just about everyday, and it's been really bad for the last year.

I live in a town that produces over 400,000 barrels of oil a day between all the oil ventures out here. The cost of a barrel of oil is daily news here in my town. So like I said, the oil isn't running out - it's becoming to expensive to make much money off of.

I read somewhere that the US consumes 20 million barrels of oil a day. That's fucking sick.

Seriously, fuck all you soccer moms driving your hummers getting less than 10mpg because it makes you feels safe on the road. Learn how to fucking drive.

This article is pretty extreme and is written a tad bit alarmist, but it does describe a lot of things that are currently happening...

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

^

you clearly have no idea how much oil is still left in-situ.

see, the problem isn't with oil running out, it's with running out of cheap oil

there is BILLIONS of barrels of oil left under the oceans, even tied up in geological strata that is just to uneconomical to mine with current technology.

act like ya know.

Filled up yesterday. Saw one place that was at 2.99....but it had a line of cars that was pretty fucking long and I wasnt about that...The place across the street was 3.41 and completely empty. I drove around and eventually settled on 3.29.

I am not driving my car unless it's absolutely neccesary. I have my good ol bmx bike, my monthly metro card is now an assload cheaper than gas, and I'm going to buy another bike for distance rides so maybe I can cut back on my metro card use within the next few months before winter hits.

As for resources, I remember seeing things years back on "cold fusion" and its being a viable and powerful alternative to all of our energy problems. But I havent heard of anything about it since then. Hybrids dont appear to be the answer just yet either as its still new technology and is rather "buggy". That and repair costs/maitenence will probably make it so you really arent saving alot of money. Hydrogen is looking like it may be the way to go as the only bi-product is water and it's supposed to actually improve horse power and performance...but who knows how far off that is?

Consider this, do you really think that something as huge as the oil industry will just readily accept that it is being run out of business? No. Its going to fight tooth and nail to keep alternate energy systems from becoming accepted by the masses just to keep lining their pockets. The only way that we'll see alternate fuel ideas become the norm is if its the petroleum corporations themselves fronting them so that they can turn a profit off that. But I rather think that the Saudi's have been enjoying their price gouging...

^

I read in the news a month back or so that there was plans to go ahead with an experimental fusion reactor in South France, I can't remember the exact location.

A few different countries were bidding to host, such as japan, canada, usa, russia too I think ... for some reason France was decided to be the go ahead location even though the spot was along a fault line.

Originally posted by JohnnyHorton@Sep 2 2005, 02:07 PM

^

I read in the news a month back or so that there was plans to go ahead with an experimental fusion reactor in South France, I can't remember the exact location.

A few different countries were bidding to host, such as japan, canada, usa, russia too I think ... for some reason France was decided to be the go ahead location even though the spot was along a fault line.

Ok I found the article you are talking about:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4629239.stm

I missed that one, good looking out.

ok, so the gas price in the us is about the same price as in canada right now. its been this much for at least 6 months here. darn, turn in your suv. i dont feel bad for you. sorry. most bigger cities in the us have a far better transportation system than any city here. use it.

as for everyone being rich in saudi arabia, i dont buy that. so according to the cia world factbook.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sa.html

you can see that the unemployment rate is 25%

when i look at the same site i see that the unemployment rate in the us 5.5%

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

looks like not everyone in saudi is rich. or even has a job.

theres plenty of oil left in the world, theres more in the province of alberta than all of saudi arabia. its just easier to get it from there than here. give it a while, but this place will be the new saudi arabia.

bottom line, take transit, or ride a bike, or buy a hybrid, they even have hybrid suvs now too. or get a diesel, and use bio diesel.

Originally posted by villain@Sep 2 2005, 01:40 PM

This is cool:

http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news-rel...t/Stirling.html

I want one of these sunflower dillys:

http://www.energyinnovations.com/index.php

Nuclear fusion is a long way off yet. Hybrids are okay but not the answer. Hydrogen is still a ways off even though they have working prototypes (????).

people have to understand that hydrogen cars, though they seem cool, get about as much distance out of one tank as a car that has to be plugged it, good for going to the end of your street, shitty if you actually drive more than 30 feet..

they are trying to develop technologies to make hydrogen fuel, but yes, it is difficult to get it refined as a fuel

i also have heard that a lot of current energy providers

(BP, esso, chevron)

already have the technology, but they have patented it and are sitting on it so no one can use it until the oil runs out.

a radio station in bmore started a rumor that gas stations were cloing until next tuesdya

fucking bullshit!!

my buddy here at work said she read that the refineries will be back up in two weeks...then the crazy price shit will end, and go back to the exorbitant price we are used to

but seriously folks, my car was totalled by a guy running a red light two years ago, i haven't had a car since and i'm doing fine.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Sep 1 2005, 10:29 PM

Whatever happened to ethanol as an alternative?

?

Granted I understand the long chain of events necessary to make the swtich. The machines that produce the *ethanol are probably somewhat reliant on oil, as well as the trucks used in transport, so first someone would have to impliment alternately powered road-tankers and refinery machines to even keep it practical, right? Then there's the fact that, which I think Tyler brought up, oil corporations aren't just going to give up their strangle hold on being the world's primary source of energy. Hell, even if they were to concede that means they'd probably first want to switch their primary focus over to *ethanol to insure they're wearing the pockets when the change is made... and this could take years. Knowing all of this I'm still interested in just how realistic ethanol is as an alternate source... does anyone know or should I start researching? I know there's a few Ford vehicles that are ethanol-ready. Surely I it would come down to ethanol before hyrdrogen or nuclear fusion...wouldn't it?

*Interchangable with any alternate source.

I might be retarded and horribly mis-informed for thinking this... but if we switched over to cold fusion couldn't car accidents result in wiping out everything in the surrounding area? How could you begin to get it stable enough to make use of in a motor vehicle that travels at high speeds?