Check the Wordplay

2 blaazed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hey...flat panel plasma tv...flat bottom boat...I'd loot the fuck outta the city.

Insurance is gonna cover most everything. Who wants to bet that some of the business owners don't 'loot' some of their own items and then turnaround and claim it on the insurance? Granted...its a little fucked up to be wading around in that water grabbing anything thats not food or water.

the wordplay is definitely fucked up though.

Originally posted by destroya+Aug 31 2005, 06:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (destroya - Aug 31 2005, 06:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tough Love@Aug 31 2005, 06:20 PM

in a situation like that, id loot the fuck out of everything. FUCK CAPITALISM. PEOPLE ARE DYING. Not like they can pay for it anyways. Altho getting greedy is sorta bad too, i think people should be allowed to take whatever the fuck they want. They prolly lost their house and everything. What the fuck else are they gonna eat? Gimme a break

what about the store owners who lost their homes and their livelihood?

[/b]

INSURANCE

Struggle to plug the breached levees

With most of the city under water, Army engineers struggled to plug New Orleans’ breached levees with giant sandbags and concrete barriers, and authorities drew up plans to clear out the tens of thousands of remaining people and practically abandon the below-sea-level city.

msn article

^ top of page 3.

Anyone else wondering about the future of New Orleans? This was one hurricane. How many hurricanes come through that area every year? Seeing as how we just last year entered into that 10 - 15 year cycle of heavy hurricane activity...I think it looks really bleak for a city that is below sea level. Mother nature can only be harnessed for so long.

Originally posted by SteveAustin@Sep 1 2005, 10:58 AM

Anyone else wondering about the future of New Orleans? This was one hurricane. How many hurricanes come through that area every year? Seeing as how we just last year entered into that 10 - 15 year cycle of heavy hurricane activity...I think it looks really bleak for a city that is below sea level. Mother nature can only be harnessed for so long.

I sure as shit am. I really don't think they should rebuild it. Vibrant, beautiful city and all that, but I think that we have established the combination of a city below sea level and a coastal location with an annual hurricane cycle doesn't work too well. I don't have a map in front of me, but I am sure there is somewhere in the immediate area that would be good enough for relocation.

Originally posted by Krakatau+Sep 1 2005, 12:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krakatau - Sep 1 2005, 12:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SteveAustin@Sep 1 2005, 10:58 AM

I sure as shit am. I really don't think they should rebuild it. Vibrant, beautiful city and all that, but I think that we have established the combination of a city below sea level and a coastal location with an annual hurricane cycle doesn't work too well. I don't have a map in front of me, but I am sure there is somewhere in the immediate area that would be good enough for relocation.

You just can't relocate and rebuild a city. There is so much infrastructure already in place.. Only some of it has failed and/or been damaged. Its immpossible to just rebuild a city of this size from underground up. There is sewers, road, electricity, storm drains, communications, planning, layout...

They will have to rebuild starting with what they have left and re-engineer the entire series of levees and pumps to be stronger, taller and not prone to failure in this type of storm. Maybe even raise some parts of the city completely so they are at sea level or closer at least.

But the city may fall deeper into poverty so that the city will never quite return to what it once was. I have a feeling tha a lot of people who have the means will abandon the city for good.

Originally posted by nomadawhat@Sep 1 2005, 02:40 PM

But the city may fall deeper into poverty making everything much more difficult because there will be many people who have the means who will abandon the city for good.

Having come to the realization that there should not be a stationary population of humans living there.

I got you on the complication of moving the city, though. I know that NO wil be rebuilt. I just think it would be wise to migrate a bit uphill.

haha... we missed you pistol.

I'm thinking that maybe New Orleans wont get rebuilt to be like it was before the storm. Clearly large industry will want to stay away, and that's been shown by the huge increase in sales of commercial and industrial real estate in Baton Rouge. Maybe the slummier areas wont get rebuilt? I think that a rebuilt New Orleans might resemble Key West. Tourists love to go there, but all the locals know that nothing is totally safe from the weather. Who knows?