Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tough Love

Computer Help Required

aight heres the run down. I have a disk(floppy) with some shit that i need on it. HOwever, i cannot open it because every time i click to do so, it says the disk is not formatted and gives me the option of formatting it or not. If i click no, it doesnt open and nothing works. Now, im not a genius, but i do know that formatting a disk will erase all the shit on it? (or am i wrong) what can i do to open this thing without losing any stuff thats on it? Or am i completely screwed and there is no way of opening this disk without losing my shit.

oh yeh, if it makes a difference, the disk is "Double Sided, MFD-2hd" whatever the fuck that means, and im using windows XP

What kind of computer was the data written on? PCs can't read mac floppies easily.

If it was written on a PC, Windows will give you that error because the partition table and or boot sector have been destroyed. Magnetic disks tend to self destruct like that. It doesn't help that modern Windows computers don't check for whether writes succeeded when writing to floppies because it increases perceived responsiveness when they don't.

I've written small files to brand new floppies before in Win2k, walked them to the next room, put them in, and had another Win2k computer say they weren't formatted before because windows just threw a bunch of data at the floppy drive as if it was a hard drive without seeing if it was being written or not.

Basically unless you know how to do low level recovery on floppies and have something with DOS on it to boot from, you're probably screwed.

aahhh thats what i was afraid off...well im getting the person to email me the files...me and computers dont exactly speak the same langauge...

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus@Aug 30 2005, 05:11 PM

Basically unless you know how to do low level recovery on floppies and have something with DOS on it to boot from, you're probably screwed.

there's a program that does this, it's called spinrite, i have it or you can get it from emule. you'll need to boot from something besides your floppy drive

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this