Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RoboThruster

I'm Thinking About Teaching English In Japan

Recommended Posts

The tittle pretty much says it all. Have any of y ou done this before? So far I've checked out the JET and AEON programs. It would probably be for about a year. Recommendations? Advice? Comments on Japan? Write a Hykoo about me ?

 

Don't playa hate, articulate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for it. I hear it's not as difficult as you would think, with the exception of the elitist japanese kids talking shit about you behind your back. Those middle to high school kids are fucking brutal, mentally and physically, on their peers far more than americans are. Have fun, send pics of hot chicks in, you guessed it, school uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my best friend's brother did this for a few years. i think it turned him gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to work out your values and your priorities...

ask yourself WHY you want to go there...

 

I think it would be a good idea to visit the place first,

before deciding you want to live there...no?

 

You seem to think that Japanese culture is comedic..and that won't really work out there.So for a start, you should take the job ...and japan... more seriously.

 

Maybe try to understand the place and the prospected situtation a bit more in general,

before making that decision..

 

Do you have a degree? what type?

The demand for english instruction is steady , but the supply has increased..

making it more difficult for less-adequately equiped people to become teachers..

You may not even be able to get a job, and if you do, even if you're qualified,

you might have to work in a little countryside town~Are you ready and willing for that?

 

It's a wonderful oppourtunity...but nothing is what it seems to be...

Especially 180 degrees around the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I was just going to say. Those people are going to throw your ass out of the country for saying or typing " Kaum Bah Wah " and "Hykoo". The first one is simple, Japanese 101 shit, and the second is used so commonly in high school english classes that you might as well be a 12 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by H. Lecter@Aug 29 2005, 04:35 AM

You have to work out your values and your priorities...

ask yourself WHY you want to go there...

 

I think it would be a good idea to visit the place first,

before deciding you want to live there...no?

 

You seem to think that Japanese culture is comedic..and that won't really work out there.So for a start, you should take the job ...and japan... more seriously.

 

Maybe try to understand the place and the prospected situtation a bit more in general,

before making that decision..

 

Do you have a degree? what type?

The demand for english instruction is steady , but the supply has increased..

making it more difficult for less-adequately equiped people to become teachers..

You may not even be able to get a job, and if you do, even if you're qualified,

you might have to work in a little countryside town~Are you ready and willing for that?

 

It's a wonderful oppourtunity...but nothing is what it seems to be...

Especially 180 degrees around the world.

 

 

I'm aware of the country town problem as a possible scenario. And the poorly spelt cliche's were just me mucking about. I think your reading way too much into my post. Anyway. I have a Bachelor's degree in English Literature. Checking the place out before I go isn't really an option for me, simply because I don't have the bling or the time.

 

I like sooShi ... does that help? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

assuming you know both languages i would figure that in a modern society like japan you would need something comperable to a teaching certificate. To teach Japaneese in an american public school you would need to get a bacherlors degree and a teaching certificate or your masters. Thats the case here in Michigan. Even if you know both languages what makes you think you know the first thing about teaching.

My advice.... MCDonalds KFC or Dominos

 

And whats more.... Dont most Japaneese people already speak english? I thought they started learning languages at a very early age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by RoboThruster@Aug 28 2005, 09:15 AM

The tittle pretty much says it all. Have any of y ou done this before? So far I've checked out the JET and AEON programs. It would probably be for about a year. Recommendations? Advice? Comments on Japan? Write a Hykoo about me ?

 

Don't playa hate, articulate.

 

 

you're planning to teach english, when you can't even spell haiku correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

annd yes i know some shit about it... i'm going to eat now, but i'll reply later with some facts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're over here by yourself, you definately need to learn the language at least pretty well before you come over. And those jobs may seem like they pay pretty well just for teaching english, but the cost of living here is way higher than the states, so it's not really that much money.

 

Haha AEON is like the walmart of the states. I love it, but all the japanese people i know hate it.

 

Originally posted by isor357@Aug 29 2005, 11:13 AM

And whats more.... Dont most Japaneese people already speak english? I thought they started learning languages at a very early age

 

No, most japanese people do not know fluent english. They usually can understand americans well enough though. Most school kids know how to write in english, but have a hard time speaking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robothruster, with the exception of a few posts, you might as well be talking to the wall.

 

Bottom line,

if you feel it, go for it..

then there is no room for regrets..

 

just please take Japan seriously, it's a nation and culture of mutual respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend is in china teaching english. Hes semi-retarded, so it can't be that hard.

 

My brother lives and works in Tokyo, and its sounds (and looks) really good. He doesn't teach english though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need to know Japanese to teach English in Japan.

 

 

To whomever said you should visit a place first, I completely disagree. It is 1 year of your life, if you do not like it you will still have the experience and the stories to tell/remember. Walking on your tippy toes is never a good idea, only 1 life to live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just import drugs to japan, youd make better money. and could get japanese coke whores?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by iloveboxcars+Aug 29 2005, 01:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iloveboxcars - Aug 29 2005, 01:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>You do not need to know Japanese to teach English in Japan.

 

[/b]

 

Then he's going to have a hell of a time trying to find an apartment, telling taxi's where to go, finding his way on the train. It's true you don't need to know japanese to teach english, but you can't count on other people to understand english when you made the choice to come to a foreign country and not understand the language. You would seriously be stupid to do that. Life will be much easier if you study japanese before coming.

 

<!--QuoteBegin-T.T Boy@Aug 29 2005, 01:04 PM

just import drugs to japan, youd make better money. and could get japanese coke whores?

 

You don't need to bring hardcore drugs over here to make money. A gram of weed goes for $50 bucks here. Extassy is also a money maker, but I don't know how much cause I've never taken that shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×