Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
saraday

katrina

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

from crossfire

Originally posted by symbols@Sep 2 2005, 11:17 AM

Canadian agencies are saying that foreign aid is probably not being permitted into Louisiana and Mississippi because of "mass confusion" at the U.S. federal level in the wake of the storm.

http://storiesinamerica.dailykos.com/story...8/31/235829/261

US won't let Canada help Katrina victims

Nations hit by tsunami are offering to send aid

The New York Times, The Boston Globe, The Associated Press

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/02/news/react.php

Oddly, however, the administration of President George W. Bush evinced an ambivalent attitude toward the world's generosity. The president said that international aid was appreciated but unnecessary; other administration officials indicated that all offers of help would be gratefully accepted.

The offers of foreign aid kept pouring in on Friday: helicopters from Canada, cash from Japan, tents and military aircraft from France, even oil from Venezuela, a political foe.

Asia-Pacific nations - including tsunami-battered Sri Lanka - promised Friday to send money and disaster relief experts to the United States to help deal with the aftermath of the storm.

Australia topped the list of nations in the Asia-Pacific in the region that pledged aid.

Japan and Singapore - which along with Australia are among Washington's strongest allies in the region - were also quick to promise help.

Some of Asia's poorer nations also offered to help, including some of those hit hardest by the last December's tsunami.

Sri Lanka, which received substantial U.S. military and other foreign aid after the tsunami killed more than 31,000 and displaced one million there, on Friday pledged $25,000 to the American Red Cross.

The government also urged Sri Lankan-born physicians living in the United States to volunteer their services to the relief effort.

OPEN LETTER FROM MICHEAL MOORE TO BUSH

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore

MMFlint@aol.com

http://www.MichaelMoore.com

THIS FAT FUCK NEEDS TO STOP WRITING LETTERS AND START WRITING CHECKS FROM ALL THE DOUGH HES MAKING

bush does not look like he's paying very much attention to these breifings...

i'm sure he's thinking "WHAT ABOUT THE OILLLLL"

Is anyone else watching cnn? and seeing how all these guys are briefing bush on whats going on?and he is just sitting there nodding his head staring into space.This is realy ashame. and i hope the american people realize what kind of goverment we have.it seems like theyre doing it just for the camera

So what's the fucking point of this press conference?

Biggest complaint right now: feds doing nothing.

All they're talking about in the press conference: things the feds are doing.

Of course they'll ignore and won't bring up anything re: the situation in NO.

Originally posted by 2BLAZZED@Sep 2 2005, 10:31 AM

it seems like theyre doing it just for the camera

Of course. That's the only reason.

I mean, I'm sure dude gets briefed on what's going on, but they don't do it for the camera. This is only to show Bush "leading."

and i noticed that at least moore's website has plenty of links about the hurricane, providing housing, and searching for loved ones.

bush's website has a small link to the red cross and a huge link to read the president's 'comments' on the disaster

(hint: he thinks it's bad)

if bush wants to show that he cares he would go to the convention center himself with his little entourage and pass out supplys and gives some kind of words of encouragment.and those 10+ helicopters and 50+ workers would help too

and big ups to the cnn reportes keeping it real and saying"that just seemed like a political moment for the cameras, he could of otten briefed on air force one or in the white house, he could of spent this time going over the damage"

The only people I've seen paying attention to these people are the media. Why is the media going into New Orleans, while the military is...wait, where the fuck is the military?

and baghdad

i mean, it's not like we need the national guard for shit except liberating sunnis

that's what i was referring to..

i just can't believe this.. it's the most surreal thing ever..

jesus fuck.

harry connick jr was haggard on good morning america

he said he saw no guns, heard no gunshots, only saw people looting luggage

he said he got in and out of NO with no problem, there were no barricades and no attack

he said he could have loaded up a car with h2o and gone back, and THEY WON"T LET HIM

he doesn't understand why they are sitting back

hmm, maybe the government wants the poor blacks to suffer to death?

i never heard of such a thing.

i hope this annhilates bush's popularity, his legacy, his image as a 'compassionate, christian conservative'

fucking oil grubbing cocksuckin fascist

gawd this is making me really angry and frustrated.

I think it will be interesting to see if Bush is still president in a few weeks. I think impeachment could be a possibility.