This is good

trackstand

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It's weird when they try to talk to you at a party or whatever cause you write graff and they think they're in the same game or something, then you ask them who they are and they're like "I do such and such stencils" or "I do such and such wheat past" then you realize that they did their shit over you or one of your boys tags or whatever and you get up in their face ready to fight like "what the fuck are thinking!" and they get all scared like a little girl and it looks like they might piss their pants or something then you almost feel bad cause beating them up would be like hitting a girl so you just scream at them to knock it off. Then they usually "knock it off" all together and you never see their shit again. When really all they had to do was stop going over graff. :shook: :clown3:

We have to start asking questions and stop accepting everything on the walls as good. We need to ask ourselves why it is important that this is outdoors? Would this be any good if it weren’t? Why does it matter that this is done where and how it was? How is this new and, most importantly, why should I care?

^^^ASK UR SELF THESE QUESTIONS BEFORE MAKING EMO ASS SHITTY STREET ART PLEASE

Originally posted by Tough Love@Aug 24 2005, 12:25 AM

We have to start asking questions and stop accepting everything on the walls as good. We need to ask ourselves why it is important that this is outdoors? Would this be any good if it weren’t? Why does it matter that this is done where and how it was? How is this new and, most importantly, why should I care?

^^^ASK UR SELF THESE QUESTIONS BEFORE MAKING EMO ASS SHITTY STREET ART PLEASE

LOL - poignant.

SF1's post is pretty funny, too.

I have written long and painfull posts about why most street art is shit.

The basics of it is this.

Lets say you make a stencil of Al Pacino shooting a gun or somthing, you make it in the comfort of your own home, then when you take it to the streets of your city it looks the same in a back street or on the busiest intersection in the middle of the city.

This removes the element of Context , one of the necessary ingredients to call "art" art.

Now dont get me wrong there are some street artists that have been clever enough to figure this out and place context sensitive artwork around the city. BUT... The majority dont have a clue.

Therefore 99.9% of street art blows goats.

Hey, let's be honest here - most of you would suck regardless if you were doing graffiti or street art (What's the distinct seperation there again?). The issue isnt so much that all street art sucks, or that the medium make's it any less worth while. It's an issue of pref. I see far more shitty handstyle's and poorly painted throw's and pieces all over LA then i do poster's or stencil's and id much rather have the people that lack can control putting up things that can be easily torn down or written over.

*By the way, if you walk around deaming everything you do "art" you might as well get a bowl cut and start styling that shit to the side.

*Sorry for typo's, Get butthurt.

Originally posted by High Priest@Aug 24 2005, 05:50 PM

Hey, let's be honest here - most of you would suck regardless if you were doing graffiti or street art (What's the distinct seperation there again?). The issue isnt so much that all street art sucks, or that the medium make's it any less worth while. It's an issue of pref. I see far more shitty handstyle's and poorly painted throw's and pieces all over LA then i do poster's or stencil's and id much rather have the people that lack can control putting up things that can be easily torn down or written over.

*By the way, if you walk around deaming everything you do "art" you might as well get a bowl cut and start styling that shit to the side.

*Sorry for typo's, Get butthurt.

Yeah man fair call.

The seperation is that one is created on the spot reflecting its context directly.. eg back street paint as long as you want, Subway system paint for 5 mins no more.

Yes sure it is a matter of preference but Im assuming im discussing this with other writers therefore I am posting with a particular audience in mind.

If I was to address this shit to everyone, without trying to piss anyone off, it would be a different story all together.

On the art subject, Now I know you Yanks (im assuming your american) throw around the term "art fag" like its going out of fasion, but think about it. Some kid creeping into a train yard, In order to do this he has watched security for hours if not days to figure the place out. He is now tresspassing in a place that most terrorists would have wet dreams over, and what does he do .. Pulls out 6 tins of paint and starts painting a fuckin picture.

Lets call things for what they are mate, this hyperthetical kid is not a thug or gangster as some would like to think. He is creating art!

Now just because I acknolegde I am participating in this artform doesnt mean I want to grow a beard, wear trucker hats and flip flops and exhibit my shit with people standing around drinking wine and eating crackers and cheese!! Far from it.

Originally posted by SF1@Aug 24 2005, 05:20 AM

It's weird when they try to talk to you at a party or whatever cause you write graff and they think they're in the same game or something, then you ask them who they are and they're like "I do such and such stencils" or "I do such and such wheat past" then you realize that they did their shit over you or one of your boys tags or whatever and you get up in their face ready to fight like "what the fuck are thinking!" and they get all scared like a little girl and it looks like they might piss their pants or something then you almost feel bad cause beating them up would be like hitting a girl so you just scream at them to knock it off. Then they usually "knock it off" all together and you never see their shit again. When really all they had to do was stop going over graff. :shook: :clown3:

you're big on that whole violence thing huh?

boooorrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Originally posted by LENS+Aug 25 2005, 12:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LENS - Aug 25 2005, 12:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SF1@Aug 24 2005, 05:20 AM

It's weird when they try to talk to you at a party or whatever cause you write graff and they think they're in the same game or something, then you ask them who they are and they're like "I do such and such stencils" or "I do such and such wheat past" then you realize that they did their shit over you or one of your boys tags or whatever and you get up in their face ready to fight like "what the fuck are thinking!" and they get all scared like a little girl and it looks like they might piss their pants or something then you almost feel bad cause beating them up would be like hitting a girl so you just scream at them to knock it off. Then they usually "knock it off" all together and you never see their shit again. When really all they had to do was stop going over graff. :shook:  :clown3:

[/b]

I didnt hear him say he smashed the dude up or anything, Just screamed on him...so you should have said....you're big on that whole screaming thing huh?

Originally posted by LENS@Aug 24 2005, 06:05 PM

People are so easy to intimidate.

Today I chased down my roommate's full grown german shepherd, which doesn't know me too well and was barking his head off at me, grabbed it by the throat and yelled in its face. It gave me a rush and made me feel like a badass.

Sort of like street art, only mostly not at all like it.

Originally posted by LENS+Aug 25 2005, 12:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LENS - Aug 25 2005, 12:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SF1@Aug 24 2005, 05:20 AM

It's weird when they try to talk to you at a party or whatever cause you write graff and they think they're in the same game or something, then you ask them who they are and they're like "I do such and such stencils" or "I do such and such wheat past" then you realize that they did their shit over you or one of your boys tags or whatever and you get up in their face ready to fight like "what the fuck are thinking!" and they get all scared like a little girl and it looks like they might piss their pants or something then you almost feel bad cause beating them up would be like hitting a girl so you just scream at them to knock it off. Then they usually "knock it off" all together and you never see their shit again. When really all they had to do was stop going over graff. :shook:  :clown3:

[/b]

:huh2: What are you talking about????

If you ran into someone that was writing/painting/artfagging over your shit would you just smoke a bowl with them???

Originally posted by Tough Love@Aug 24 2005, 07:19 PM

its all about having a context specific piece of "art"

thats what seperate real, good from the shitty.

there should always be a reason why a certain piece is the way it is, and why it is placed where it is.

Bingo my friend.

At least someone knows what im talking about.