CHINADA

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sarcasm+Aug 23 2005, 08:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sarcasm - Aug 23 2005, 08:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Aug 23 2005, 08:09 PM

I mean weapon X , you might as well have called them Gooks, man Just say it.

Not a racist....thats funny

gooks are korean... now that'd just be racistly wrong.

but hey, they're all the same right?

[/b]

Gooks = Vietnamese

Kims = Koreans

Chinks = Chinese

Nips/Japs = Japanese

Althought gooks can be used with koreans, 99% of the time ive heard it used to referring to vietnamese.

I guess what I'm saying is that instead of complaining about immigration we should be complaining about the yoke we are kept under. Instead of the formula for success that they are using: I will help you become successful, which will help me become successful, which in turn will make our people successful; we are using this old divide and conquer, competitive winner take all, elitist one up the joneses, exploit and keep the masses stupid strategy.

You are all bringing up valid points, just from different perspectives. It's like both the right and the left wing know that america is going to shit for some reason, but we blame each other instead of focusing on real world issues. Ex. The right blames the left for moral corruption, and erosion of standards and ethics, and government bloat to support all these "excesses" etc. The left blames the right for backwards stubborness, and corporate infidelity, and corrupting the government and culture through materialist greed by the influence of the private sector. So instead of focusing on real problems the self interested politicians pick out their favorite scapegoats and blame everything on them. Not to say that either viewpoint is right or wrong.... it just needs to be applied on a case by case basis with fair and impartial judgement.

I once knew a crazy guy who said he would never join any kind of "group" whatsoever, because as soon as someone went against the beleifs of the group, they have undermined the group they represent and made it invalid. I guess in short he meant that anyone who claims to know the will of another man is full of shit.

Originally posted by villain@Aug 23 2005, 08:31 PM

I guess what I'm saying is that instead of complaining about immigration we should be complaining about the yoke we are kept under. Instead of the formula for success that they are using: I will help you become successful, which will help me become successful, which in turn will make our people successful; we are using this old divide and conquer, competitive winner take all, elitist one up the joneses, exploit and keep the masses stupid strategy.

You are all bringing up valid points, just from different perspectives. It's like both the right and the left wing know that america is going to shit for some reason, but we blame each other instead of focusing on real world issues. Ex. The right blames the left for moral corruption, and erosion of standards and ethics, and government bloat to support all these "excesses" etc. The left blames the right for backwards stubborness, and corporate infidelity, and corrupting the government and culture through materialist greed by the influence of the private sector. So instead of focusing on real problems the self interested politicians pick out their favorite scapegoats and blame everything on them. Not to say that either viewpoint is right or wrong.... it just needs to be applied on a case by case basis with fair and impartial judgement.

I once knew a crazy guy who said he would never join any kind of "group" whatsoever, because as soon as someone went against the beleifs of the group, they have undermined the group they represent and made it invalid. I guess in short he meant that anyone who claims to know the will of another man is full of shit.

very nicely put

Originally posted by CACashRefund+Aug 23 2005, 08:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CACashRefund - Aug 23 2005, 08:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by sarcasm@Aug 23 2005, 08:12 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Dawood@Aug 23 2005, 08:09 PM

I mean weapon X , you might as well have called them Gooks, man Just say it.

Not a racist....thats funny

gooks are korean... now that'd just be racistly wrong.

but hey, they're all the same right?

Althought gooks can be used with koreans, 99% of the time ive heard it used to referring to vietnamese.

[/b]

it's always been the complete opposite for me.... whatever, they're all

degrading

Originally posted by villain@Aug 23 2005, 10:31 PM

You are all bringing up valid points, just from different perspectives.

Some very good points have been brought up by a bunch of people.

For those who are calling me racist - correct me if I'm wrong, but to be racist is to think that one race is superior to another. I absolutely don't think that. I see clearly just how much of a boon to the economy immigration has been. But I'm getting frustrated at the way the Chinatown is going to become all-city soon. It practically already is.

Pretty soon, the tourism companies won't be able to sell the multi-culturalism that makes this city.

I just don't agree with the fact that so many people from just one country make it here. If the Chinese are educated and want to spend their HK money here, it's all good. Just do it in Calgary, or Edmonton, or Winnipeg or something.

----------

I know about Humiliation Day (I bet most Chinese Canadians don't even know about that) and all that other stuff that the Chinese had to go through to make a life for themselves here. And I've gone to college with 30+ year olds who can't speak English but are trying hard. I just wish that the governmnent would spread it out all over the country, or just stop letting them in for a while. It's insane, dude. EVERY house being sold is to the Chinese. And all the people selling are moving out further into the 'burbs. I could be irrational, but can you really tell me that I have no right to feel intruded upon?

I dont know how I feel about this.

I do know that I would not like any one ethnicity to 'take over' the Toronto area. But, I live right downtown where things are still pretty cosmopolitain sooo....

I think it is natural and almost unavoidable that when immigrants come to Toronto they seek out a place to live where there is already an ethnic community that will welcome them. I don't think there is an inherant problem with mass ethnic communities as an idea BUT it is when these communities become completely self sufficient and exclusive that it becomes a problem. Then the city becomes just a bunch of random enclaves where ethnicities do no interact. But who is to blame? White people in Toronto have done this to every single group of immigrants who have come here over time: Jews, Italians, Chinese, Japanese etc..BUT I agree that it should not be a pattern that needs to continue. Being an immigrant (especially if you are coming here with nothing) is not easy. My parents came here with an old buick and $100 in the 40's.

When people immigrate and find themselves in a place where they are minorities they create exagerted ethnic identities in an atempt to protect their self image. This identity is often exagerated int he face of the non ethnic other..BUT this deterritorialized natinalism usualyl fades by the second generation...but who knows how this will be effected if these self contained communities are able to grow.

These days there are so many social agencies avaiable for newcomers. You can learn enligh for free anywhere. There is little excuse for not knowing the language. But racism in Toronto certainly still exists. People don't trust immigrants. Racism here is something I find almost more appaling than in the states. Here we act like out shit doesnt stink and that we love everyone but we dont. Racism here is just uinderground and more systemic.

Then again....I go to the Pacific mall wonder how the fuck I ended up in Taiwan. I would have no problem with bok choy with every meal though...but i cant fucking stand bubble tea.

Originally posted by MESTHREE@Aug 24 2005, 09:18 AM

When people immigrate and find themselves in a place where they are minorities they create exagerted ethnic identities in an atempt to protect their self image. This identity is often exagerated int he face of the non ethnic other..BUT this deterritorialized natinalism usualyl fades by the second generation...but who knows how this will be effected if these self contained communities are able to grow.

Thanks. I was unknowingly alluding to that, but community college has drained my brain over the past couple of years. Those were some good points.

As for Pacific Mall, I go there almost bi-weekly. I love that place.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Aug 24 2005, 09:54 AM

I could be irrational, but can you really tell me that I have no right to feel intruded upon?

Yes. Just because a race/nationality is not native to a particular region, doesn't mean that they don't belong there just as much as you. They have the same hopes, desires and dreams as you and I. They want a better life too, and are entitled to it, just the same as our parents and grandparents did. Americans were immigrants at one time too. Now we (the US) are, let's face it, the envy of the world.

See, the problem here lies in your perspective of immigration. You think they are "intruding" and "taking over" your town/city/country. Increased immigration is important for both the economic and spiritual well being of the United States (and Canaduh). Immigrants often take jobs which would otherwise go unfilled and increase overall productivity.

Those who argue against immigration often make seemingly common sense arguments. Arguments are made as to immigration causing increased use of schools, infrastructure, and housing. This certainly makes sense on it's face, but it hinges on the assumption that there is a finite amount of housing, when in reality, we can build as many houses as we want, assuming we have the needed labor, and immigrants often provide this labor. I can touch on the other two points later, if you want.

This is a very simplistic response to a simplistic argument.

You say you aren't racist, that you have Chinese friends, but you consistently use degrading terms in every point you make, which makes it hard to take your view serious. I doubt you call your Chinese friends nips and fobs to their face on a daily basis, like it's all good. Maybe you need to visit these countries that they are coming from. It's not nearly as pretty and clean as Canada. Perhaps this will give you an idea of why they all want to immigrate to better places.

Originally posted by Seldoon+Aug 24 2005, 09:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seldoon - Aug 24 2005, 09:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Weapon X@Aug 24 2005, 09:54 AM

I could be irrational, but can you really tell me that I have no right to feel intruded upon?

I doubt you call your Chinese friends nips and fobs to their face on a daily basis, like it's all good.

[/b]

Actually, when I was discussing my nieghbourhood with them, yeah, I do say "nips" and "fobs". Hell, "fob" isn't a racial slur at all. I'm East Indian. I can say all that shit I want and they won't give a fuck.

Maybe my comment about the flat-assed bad breathed women thing was out of line, but overall, I don't see how anything I said was racist. Besides, how come all the ugly immigrants come here? My friends who travel back to Taiwan and HK always tell me how much more beautiful the women are back there.

Sure, people want to have a better life. I'm not stopping that. And if I was Chinese, I'd probably want to move to a very Chinese area, too, so I can feel comfortable. The immigration hasn't bothered me so much yet - it's the future I'm worried about. We need immigration laws that will spread immigrants out.

As for housing, I believe that there will be a glut, of sorts, in the coming year. Way too many condos have been built. And our infrastructure is definitely not doing too well. The immigrants can move further and further into the farmland, but that just isolates them even more from other cultures. I am not down with them having that much of an enclave.

A lot of Torontonians are proud of living in such a multi-cultural city. I've always had a ton of Chinese people living in a neighbouring area, and I never cared. The Chinese practically built Richmond Hill from the ground up (not to discredit the people who actually did build it), and I think that is great. But, again, how much is too much? I think it's already happened, as far as this city is concerned.

I never really have to go to 'Asiancourt' or 'Whopbridge'.

The suburban areas around here can tend to have a single race

domination, like the Indians near the airport or the Italians near wonderland.

I like my multiculturalism to cross economic lines as well.

Get a bit of eveything in the same area and that makes for interesting times.

There was an interesting article in last weekend's Globe about

how Canadian style 'multiculturism' has totally failed in Brittan.

There's so very little crossover in the UK between the newer

ethnic areas and the established cake areas. Cakes go to cake

school, shop in cake stores and go to cake clubs. (just wanted to throw a white slur in there)

my family was in Canada for this:

confederation-canada-archive.jpg

^ just ask the guy in the chair in the front.

• 2 weeks later...

You're living there now aren't you? In Taiwan or China? I say chink and fobs all the time, but dude you sound racist as fuck, and i don't give a fuck about how many chinese friends you have. If you use that term around them, then .............................it ain't all good. Try not using that word at all, if you claim not to be a racist.

Originally posted by ThomYorke@Sep 4 2005, 01:18 PM

You're living there now aren't you? In Taiwan or China? I say chink and fobs all the time, but dude you sound racist as fuck, and i don't give a fuck about how many chinese friends you have. If you use that term around them, then .............................it ain't all good. Try not using that word at all, if you claim not to be a racist.

Nah, I ain't in Taiwan. A couple of good friends are, though.

Yo, you know what's funny? One of the Chinese neighbours on my street actually organized a little street potluck party the other day. I wasn't around for it, but it goes to show (me) that not every Chin family moving to this turf is trying to stick to their own kind and stuff.

I ain't trying to be racist, but I do use racist terminology from time to time to get a point across. What, you don't think I use the word paki when I need to?

*this reminds me, though, that I should update that Taiwan thread in BrickSlayers.

See, another thing that pisses me off is that Canada is being messed up by immigrants in general.

A lot of high schools have dropped their football programs...but, hey! It's all good - cricket is on the comeup!! :rolleyes:

Cricket is cool and all, but some of these kids need to learn about hockey, baseball, football, curling, and whatever else makes up this country.