Bates, Swet and a bunch of stolen wall-jpegs.

Guest imported_Europe

and I know that this is the new "enlightened" age of graffiti where "shameless biterism" is starting to be considered a valid movement and people can paint pretty pictures without ever doing a single illegal letter (or in some cases- any letters at all) and call themselves "writers" and angry assholes like me are supposed to take prozac, snip our balls, hold hands and commune with the "grooviness of the collective graffiti experience" and give up all the ideals that we were raised on (creativity, individuality and illegality....) because if we don't someone might get his feelings hurt... but I just can't get with that.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Has anyone noticed how diverse and fresh Swet's been getting in the last couple of years? For every style he rocks that might not be widely felt he seems to have some new shit popping up right around the corner that defies expectations. Angular styles, rounded letters, thick or thin, funky stuff, evil stuff, classic shit, happy or sinister color schemes, tight, compact designs or loose, sprawling ones, simples, wilds ... I bet I could go on.

Fuck.

Props to that man.

Originally posted by mud_buddha

As if anyone cares what I think.... BUT...

that, without a doubt in my mind at least, looks just like DELTA/MESS. AND it's not just playing around with a style, it's straight-up trying to look like DELTA did it. Again, not that anyone did, but if you ask me, sonik/sixteen are 110% correct. I'd call that shameless biterism to the 14th power and the 96th degree.

I'm not saying this is the case, BUT, could it be possible that Toast could have been the influence for these people rather than him being the one being influenced? You don't generally see a lot of Toasts styles in mags or on the Internet, but I recall someone saying to me a while ago that those best known for 3D styles gives Toast high acolades for his style and influence. I guess the best people to ask would be the Daims and Deltas of this world ...

Worth thinking about possibly before passing judgement.

Originally posted by locationtwelve

I'm not saying this is the case, BUT, could it be possible that Toast could have been the influence for these people rather than him being the one being influenced? You don't generally see a lot of Toasts styles in mags or on the Internet, but I recall someone saying to me a while ago that those best known for 3D styles gives Toast high acolades for his style and influence. I guess the best people to ask would be the Daims and Deltas of this world ...

Worth thinking about possibly before passing judgement.

Erni was the FIRST....Daim took it to the next level.....then Delta......blah..blah...you know the rest.....

mister green = amazing. every time. and those newer two that europe posted?!?! dude just keeps reinventing himself. sometimes his style does get kind wild for my tastes, but i never mind if i know someone can still rock a classic piece....they have roots to their style. and swet is the prefect example..he goes out there, then comes back and rips a classic piece...then goes back out again. dude is kinetic.

as for can2, i dont remember who was hating, but i love dude. he reminds me of the european cope2 - hes never really gonna surprise you, but its always butter.

bates "its yours"?!?!? dude is seriously the most versatile piecer around. that shit is hot.

whoever mentioned RENS....if were gonna see RENS, lets not forget SEK!

Originally posted by whatajerk

Erni was the FIRST....Daim took it to the next level.....then Delta......blah..blah...you know the rest.....

I was referring more to techniques and letter formations rather than the general 'who did 3D first' argument. You could say that Flint 707 & Pistol were first anyway ... but thats not what I was talking about.

ouija, look. i care about history. i care that as far as most writers are concerned, the guys whose names come up here are all on some even plane, and that's just not how it should be. there's that part of it.

i don't mind at all if some folks hate my shit, and i hope toast isn't so sensitive that he'd really get hurt. has he even heard of me? i haven't heard of all the people who hate my stuff, but when they have something intelligent to say, i've taken it to heart. so the 'who am i to say anything' business? it doesn't seem to me like i'm wrong, or that far off base.

there are plenty of people doing dimentionals that don't bite delta, or daim, or erni. i'm not crazy about the effect, but there are kids working well with it. it's a good thing to be original. it's especially good to see guys who are at the highest levels of graff that are still trying hard to make it new. look at the swet pieces in this thread. that guy could have stuck with the stuff he was doing in 1995 and been even more popular than he is today. but no, he dropped half his audience and went to the softer letters he's doing now. he reinvented his style, grew, and stayed creative. that, to me, is impressive.

you brought up a lot about me personally. honestly, since you know that i know what i'm talking about, i wonder why you feel that most of your reply be about me, not the people we're talking about. that's fine, you're not too far wrong about much of what you say about me. i take your comments to heart, but since this isn't the ouija thread, my sentiments about you personally, and your work, will remain on this side of the public view. ask me about them if they matter that much to you.

you keep doing your thing, ouija. i'll keep doing mine.

sonik3000

the original has no competition

• 1 year later...
Guest imported_Europe

^

There is 1 million graffitiwriters you have never seen working on productions together... Whats so special about not seeing Bates and Swet doing one?

I just thought it was a little strange because they come from the same country and they have both been around in graff for quit a long time.

You see both of them working on walls with the same people, even foreign writers like Can2,Kent,Goal an Cope2 just to name a few, but never them two together.

Maybe it`s just me who think it`s a little odd.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Graffer@Jan 1 2004, 02:14 PM

I just thought it was a little strange because they come from the same country and they have both been around in graff for quit a long time.

You see both of them working on walls with the same people, even foreign writers like Can2,Kent,Goal an Cope2 just to name a few, but never them two together.

Maybe it`s just me who think it`s a little odd.

I know what you mean. They are both raw and are down with the same people. They both seem to be on the same level as far as skill and style. I'd like to see a Swet, Bates, Dare, and GREAT production.

• 1 year later...

Archived