The Comic Art Thread

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So, I havnt bought comics in a long time. It all had to do with graduating college and being broke. Then moving out and having priorites and not enough space, etc... Well the point of the story is, I was walking by a comic shop on Sunday, and I couldnt help myself. I went in and I spent around 65 bucks on comics. I got all those Daredevil: Father issues, the Deadgirl comic, the alex ross Justice comics, and among others I came accross the Frank Miller / Jim Lee book Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder.

44473725_402cccff65.jpg

4358_180x270.jpg

Now Jim Lee is cool, and FM is a good writer, but I would be sucked in just for the covers by Frank.

all-star-batman-robin-20050906035628614-000.jpg

Anyway. Its dope. That quesada book is pretty good too.

WepX, whats your favorite comic all around for the read and art etc...? (tough question?)

PS. After reading sabe's response, I wanted to make a point that this batman comic as well as in the daredevil father series, there is much more profanity that Ive noticed before. Im not hating, Im just saying I noticed.

Edit again - Yes Jim Lee, my bad.

You mean Jim Lee. All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, right? I hear very mixed reviews about it.

LOL, but it's funny, cuz the same thing happened to me. I hadn't bought comics in a very long, long time, then one day decided to spend $200. I spent another couple of hundred over the next couple of weeks until I started to pace myself.

Right now, I'm back to being broke, so I buy trades of stuff that I always wanted as a kid, or had as a kid but lost, and Daredevil and Spider-Man books. I'm still catching up really slowly.

I still have to buy 300 by FM, as well as Red Star, and From Hell by Alan Moore. Those are my "must buys" for this spring.

I only buy single issues when I'm giving something a sampling. I know, it's a rotten way to show support to a smaller circulated title if I'm waiting for the trade, but I'm not ready to be addicted to buying monthlies again. Besides, I hold comics in such high regard that I enjoy placing my Sale/Loeb trade paperback next to my Tolstoy on the bookshelf.

These are cool:

MLMW_Masterworks_SpiderManVSGreenGo.jpg

MLMW_Masterworks_FantasticFourBoxSe.jpg

Oh yeah, some other things I've been checking out (meaning reading in the store lol) are the Vertigo books, like Y the Last Man and 100 Bullets. Shit, I should get fermentor666 up in here. He seems the type that likes to try new books.

*Oh yeah, so if I were to start picking up monthlies, I would definitely include Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, as well as X-Factor (which just came out). Peter David is one of my favourite writers. You might remember him from X-Factor and Hulk from back in the day.

I'm also a fan of Daredevil because the art is always on point, as well as the writing. But the thing with Bendis is that his writing is so decompressed that I just have to buy the trade or I'd be slapping myself for "wasting" my money on a book that takes 3 minutes to read.

Brubaker will be on it soon, though.

Hmm good response. I came to the conclusion that 100 Bullets is my favorite comic. I hadnt bought it for about a year and a half, and its the only one I felt nessicary to fill in all the missing issues. I ended up buying numbers 57-68 and reading all in one night. I love the art and I love detective novels, especially ones where its not obvious whats going on. I thought that the Batman that they did wasnt as good as the 100 bullets, but was still plenty dope.

batman-broken-city-04.jpg58.jpg

bat62306.jpg

bat62217.jpg

I have also recently heard good things about that new xfactor. As well as the new avengers.

Yeah, Im not that into it. Im all for the original suit, with or without webs in the armpits, as well as the black suit. Beyond that its too weird. That one also looks alittle too much like SM 2099 suit, which is lame-o. And one more thing (cause im grumpy) why does it have to be Iron Man colors just cause its Stark industries. I mean we all know that Tony Stark is ego-centric kinda guy, but come on. On another note about costumes, I like in Daredevil: Gaurdian Devil how they mention that Reed Richards made DD's new suit with a micro-metal-fiber. Sweet.

Edit: Ok, I ate some food so Im no longer grumpy. But I still cant say that Im a fan. I do kinda like how that last drawing looks like it was done in MSPaint though.

Mike Weiringo (I love the Romita mask on Spider-Girl)

SPIDERGIRL.jpg

CleaX.jpg

01436986896.502.GIF

silversurfer.jpg

Neal Adams

Neal_AdamsD.jpg

Kaare Andrews

Kaare_AndrewsD.jpg

Incidentally, I hear that Neal Adams is taking over for Jim Lee in the All-Star Batman series.

And I was reading up on that series, and it seems that 95% of the internet doesn't like it because of Frank Miller's writing. They're saying that he isn't in DD/Dark Knight Returns mode, but in Dark Knight Strikes Again mode.

But anyway, I love Neal Adams' drawings. I made a thread about him in Untitled before. It's around somewhere.

Originally posted by FunTimePartyTeam@Aug 24 2005, 07:49 PM

Everyone should read the maleev/bendis daredevils, they read very different from other books. Really fast paced, i heard he used to draw screenplay story boards, but I dont know if thats true.

---

Here's one that i couldnt help but buy back in the day, even though im not really a fan of either...

aaa.sized.jpg

Didn't expect to catch funtime in here. hey buddy