Church Members to Picket Marines Funeral

Guest KING BLING

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Bodice Ripper----

Oh, I absolutely believe that these folks have the right to free speech. EVERYBODY has the right to free speech. "Free Speech" means THE GOVERNMENT cannot legally stop you from saying whatever you want. The First Amendment is a RESTRAINT UPON THE GOVERNMENT. It does not restrain individuals. So if the Tight Christian Asshole Society starts picketing Mary's Wine Bar with "God Hates Fags" signs, and the San Francisco Men's Chorus comes storming out of there and beats them to mush, that's just tough shit for the picketers.

Same thing is true when the NAACP starts picketing the Ku Klux Klan Konvention, or when the American Nazi Party starts picketing the B'nai B'rith Annual Awareness Seder. One fucks with people at one's own risk. If these assholes picket the funeral of a Marine killed in combat, I predict they will receive a rather severe beating from the other Marines present. I have all the free speech the Constitution affords me. That doesn't stop somebody who disagrees with me from stomping my ass into mush if I say something to which they take offense. "Free Speech is Not Free." Every choice has a consequence. It's just that getting arrested by the GOVERNMENT for one's opinions is not one of them. But getting one's ass kicked by somebody one pissed off certainly might be.

Guest KING BLING

http://www.10news.com/news/4909450/detail.html

Mourners Enraged By Anti-Gay Protests At Soldiers' Funerals

Preacher Says Soldiers Defend Country That Harbors Gays

POSTED: 7:57 am PDT August 29, 2005

UPDATED: 11:38 am PDT August 29, 2005

SMYRNA, Tenn. -- Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars' down a highway, waving flags and screaming "God bless America."

"My husband is over there, so I'm here to show my support," 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. "To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are."

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist Church in, Topeka, Kan., contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps' children, grandchildren and in-laws.

The church members carried signs and shouted things such as "God hates fags" and "God hates you."

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff's deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

"If they were protesting the government, I might even join them," Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of "get out of our town" and "get out of our country."

"But for them to come during the worst time for this family - it's just wrong."

Originally posted by KaBar2@Aug 28 2005, 05:11 PM

Bodice Ripper----

Oh, I absolutely believe that these folks have the right to free speech. EVERYBODY has the right to free speech. "Free Speech" means THE GOVERNMENT cannot legally stop you from saying whatever you want. The First Amendment is a RESTRAINT UPON THE GOVERNMENT. It does not restrain individuals. So if the Tight Christian Asshole Society starts picketing Mary's Wine Bar with "God Hates Fags" signs, and the San Francisco Men's Chorus comes storming out of there and beats them to mush, that's just tough shit for the picketers.

Same thing is true when the NAACP starts picketing the Ku Klux Klan Konvention, or when the American Nazi Party starts picketing the B'nai B'rith Annual Awareness Seder. One fucks with people at one's own risk. If these assholes picket the funeral of a Marine killed in combat, I predict they will receive a rather severe beating from the other Marines present. I have all the free speech the Constitution affords me. That doesn't stop somebody who disagrees with me from stomping my ass into mush if I say something to which they take offense. "Free Speech is Not Free." Every choice has a consequence. It's just that getting arrested by the GOVERNMENT for one's opinions is not one of them. But getting one's ass kicked by somebody one pissed off certainly might be.

doesn't this argument basically amount to saying that marines and their families have more rights because they are more violent than gay people? Thats no way to run a society....

Bodice Ripper---

Do you recall Stonewall and the ACT UP! group? Gays are plenty violent, when it suits them to be so. Violence is not the issue, though. The issue is respect, of which Rev. Phelps apparently is experiencing a shortage. When people feel disrespected, they get very angry. Phelps and his group are disrespecting these dead Marines' funerals and their families. It sounds like the townspeople reacted in a rather outraged fashion. Good for them.

Yes, let's compare the anger some backwoods hicks had for interracial relationships in the 30's to someone protesting a funeral. Very nice.

Fuck your politically correct over-analytical bullshit. If someone is protesting at a funeral, regardless of who it is, they are liable to get their head cracked open. I heard that a few Marines were used as extra "security" at one of these protests. I personally hope it went swimmingly.

Your comparison does not hold up in any kind of sense. I'm actually discusted at you defending these nutjobs. Freedom of speach is what it is and I will fully defend these assholes right to be the assholes that they are and say the nonsense that they say but when you go so far as to bring it to a funeral, much more a funeral of someone that probably doesn't even know you exsist and has nothing to do with what you're protesting???? :huh2:

I would actually join in on stomping these idiots. It's like they're begging for it.

I think it entitles you to beat the shit out of someone. If they come and antagonize you (which picketing a funeral definitely qualifies as), they get beat the fuck up.

As far as the comparison to a rascist lynch mob, come the fuck on now. I can see the basis for comparison up to 'larger group of people wins', and that is about it. Right vs. Wrong sure as shit isn't the connecting factor.

Just out of curiousity, why isn't moral indignation justification for beating someone's ass? What would be justification, or is ass kicking just wrong?

I do think it's moral justification for beating some ones ass. But some people aren't in a position to be handing out beatings (and I don't mean gay people, anyone...). Whether or not you have to put up with some fuck head picketting your funeral should NOT depend on whether or not the people attending are able-bodied young men.

I'll tell you what. I don't know about where you're from, but anywhere in this country if a group of idiots shows up at someones funeral disrespecting the deceased... They would be royaly stomped on by any and every able bodied freind/relative in attendance, and then kicked and spit on by the "not so able bodied" while they're on the ground collectively picking up their teeth.

And now you wanna talk about at a MARINES funeral? :nut: :umm: :D :beat: :beat2: :nope:

Guest KING BLING

Emotion VS Logic

Both sides of the current discussion are right.

Might shouldn't make right - BUT - a chicken shouldn't try to fight a coyote either...lets move on

Bodice- If you don't see how harassing a family trying to bury a loved one who was taken before his time is worse than beating someone's ass, I can't really help you. And speaking of entitlement, what entitles these pieces of shit to waste my perfectly good oxygen?

What you said sounds great on paper.. shit, let's all hold hands and sing songs about equality and understanding. But it is my personal belief that if someone was "protesting" my dead loved ones funeral, it is my moral obligation to beat some sense into them.

Originally posted by bodice+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bodice)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Krak@

<!--QuoteBegin-bodice

moral indignation is moral indignation. And it doesn't entitle you to beat the shit out of anyone.

Just out of curiousity, why isn't moral indignation justification for beating someone's ass?

I do think it's moral justification for beating some ones ass.

[/b]

Glad that's cleared up.

The last line about whether or not you should have to put up with someone picketing a funeral.... are you arguing that the protestors are in the wrong, but the people in attendance shouldn't be responsible for handling the ass stomping? I would agree with you if that is the case.

Bodice Ripper---

You're just annoyed because gay people are usually on the receiving end of this sort of righteous indignation. People have a right to be pissed off about things that offend them. Sorry if it makes you feel like you might be the object of their indignation, but there it is. If you live in San Francisco, you'll see men french-kissing on the fucking MUNI every day on your way to work. Everybody else in the MUNI car was subjected to this, and resented the shit out of it, but was too chickenshit to say anything. The gay subculture in San Francisco goes WAY out of it's way to be as offensive to everybody else as they can. I never saw any heterosexual couples groping each other on the MUNI, but I saw gay couples doing this shit all the time. I might complain about two Castro clones slobbering all over one another on a streetcar to some straight friend of mine, but I definately would not go down to the San Francisco Gay Pride Parade and start any shit. I would fully expect to get beaten up if I did something that stupid.

People who make a habit of deliberately offending others can EXPECT other people to react negatively.

I could not care less if Phelps and his pack of whackos hate fags. They can hate fags all they want, as long as they don't subject me to it. If they bring their stupid, hateful bullshit to a Marine's funeral, I'm going to be very offended. So far as that goes, I would be offended no matter whose funeral it might be.

If the Phelps' pissed me off enough, I might be motivated to join right in stomping their asses. The more disrespectful and offensive their behavior, the angrier and more offended I am likely to be. Since I take context and location into account when considering the appropriateness of my behavior, I expect everybody else to do the same thing.