Famous people who have done graffiti?

fatlaces

Good Will Hunting

In the film Good Will Hunting, Matt Damon was writing figures on the halls blackboard and when the professor spotted him he said "hey that's people's work you can't graffiti there" Too which Matt told him Fuck you.

He wasn't bombin but was accused of it.

I'm reachin lol

Peace:rolleyes:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KH

I have mixed feelins about Kieth H. On the one hand he made Gaffiti a little more or alot more accepted in the shiny "Art World" by bringin his figures to the public. But I wouldn't really call him a Graffiti writer per say. He was a traditionally trained artist from SVA that did his work in front of people. He even said he didn't want to sneak around in train yards and so forth. I give him much props and respect, and I know this isn't what this thread is about but I'd like to hear what others think about him doing graffiti. Even though he had some love among graffitistsespecially in LES. For Example LAROC.

Peace Love and Deodorant:idea:

did you ever read that keith haring biography with him on the cover sitting backwards on a chair? that book is pretty even handed in its dealing with keith haring and his graffiti. theres quotes in there that paint a strange portrait of keith haring especially his motives for getting involved with "hip hop" and his problem of trying to get involved with graffiti but kinda knowing he didn't have the balls or desire to break into trainyards and all that. sometimes his motivesfor doing his graffiti seems to lie in art theory texts he was reading but other times it seems like he just wanted to get popular with hip gay puertorican guys. his freindship with LA 2 seems strange as well. keith pretty much just asked the 15 year old writer to tag over sculptures keith made and then keith would sell them for big bucks in galleries. i believekeith gave LA 2 his share of the profits but it seems like Keith really wanted to exagerate his ties to graffiti. this book is pretty good if your interested. theres good quotes from lots of artists and a bunch of graff kids includeing futura. theres a cool picture of keith haring, kenny scharf and futura in b-boy stance as well.

KH Book

Yup I've got that book and the other coffee table book as well on KH. I liked those scuptures you mentioned. And as strange as it was for LA 2 to get down with KH on projects it bounced my man into the higher echelons of the Art World at a tender age of 15. Even if it was on KH's coatails. And he even paid him his due thereby not fuckin him outta his share.

Peace:)

Keith Haring is cool, he used to do those stick figures/characters. so as far as being a true writer in the sense of having a tag and doing pieces or whatever, you probably wouldnt say that he was one. but he drew on walls of subway stations in chalk and crayon as a means of expression and to make his work acessible to the general public.

Haring, the red kind

All right... you want history, here you go.

My girlfriend's father was a high school history teacher for Keith Haring. Her dad was one of those super rad laid back kind of teachers who really connect with kids. Anyway, Haring used to hit up desks and notebooks(obviously) back in HS and my girl's dad came up on him one time he was doodling on a desk and was all stoked on it... turns out they used to sit and talk art after school.

Haring as a graffiti artist? In the truest sence of the word. It's italian for "scribble" so that's what he was rocking.

Six-degrees of Keith Haring. Take one.

Originally posted by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

I met Mike from Incubus (Drummer) He was drawing in a blackbook and I looked over his shoulder and it was rather impressive so I have a feeling his on the "up & up"

Just thought i should correct you because Mike is the guitarist, and Jose is the drummer, and i'm pretty sure they all write a bit.

• 5 years later...

Mao Zedong, if I have the story right, wrote an entire essay around the bathroom at his highschool about the government and economy. After being caught, he was publicly paraded in front of the entire school as an example before being expelled. He later went on to become one of the most well known political leaders ever.

Archived