Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 9/25/2019 at 1:59 AM, Kults said:

This looks killer

So hyped. There are so many idiots straight up foaming garbage at the mouth towards a24 for making a Adam Sandler film. Clearly they’ve never watched punch drunk love. Or even Spanglish for that matter. Dude is amazing when the role is real. I can’t wait to see this shit. 

• Props 1

On 10/13/2019 at 11:37 PM, STYLEISKING said:

THE UPSIDE is director Neil Burger’s heartfelt comedy about a recently paroled ex-convict (Kevin Hart) who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a paralyzed billionaire (Bryan Cranston). The film also stars Nicole Kidman, Julianna Margulies and Aja Naomi King

Infinitely preferred the French version of this but it made for an enjoyable friday night's streaming.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:20 PM, iloveboxcars said:

Film of the year. Highlights in both Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson's careers, but there really isn't a single thing wrong with this film. There were several times while watching this that the lighting was so perfect it actually took me out of the story for a moment. This is perfection.

Your mileage may vary.

lichthaus.jpg

That ending tho 

• 1 month later...

A charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score, makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime. Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

this was good!

• Props 1

1 hour ago, STYLEISKING said:

A charismatic New York City jeweler always on the lookout for the next big score, makes a series of high-stakes bets that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime. Howard must perform a precarious high-wire act, balancing business, family, and encroaching adversaries on all sides, in his relentless pursuit of the ultimate win.

this was good!

My most anticipated of the year. Opens here on the 25th. Really looking forward to it, I'm envious of those who have gotten to see it already

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That’s a fine story, chief. I haven’t spent enough time in the bay. Soon though. I haven’t seen either one of the most recent a24 releases.....Top of list though. But while we are on the topic, and maybe @Kultscan chime in....Like i just watched that “Good Time” film the other day too and holy wtf. I don’t know about y’all but i cant help but feel a little twisted up at how a24 has completely cornered the game. Does it matter? Idk. Feels culty lol. They’re all too good. Lol. I don’t know why it bothers me. 

21 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

That’s a fine story, chief. I haven’t spent enough time in the bay. Soon though. I haven’t seen either one of the most recent a24 releases.....Top of list though. But while we are on the topic, and maybe @Kultscan chime in....Like i just watched that “Good Time” film the other day too and holy wtf. I don’t know about y’all but i cant help but feel a little twisted up at how a24 has completely cornered the game. Does it matter? Idk. Feels culty lol. They’re all too good. Lol. I don’t know why it bothers me. 

I don’t quite get it either. They’re the new MIRAMAX. Every single last one of their releases is something special. It feels like they just curate the best and most unique stuff. 

No idea how we got here but it’s such a breath of fresh air in what I consider a stagnant industry. At least for the kinds of movies I like to watch. Not really in for the big budget popcorn flicks as you guys can tell form the recs I post. It does feel kind of cult like, it’s almost like a bunch of film geeks got together and watched the criterion collection on a loop and thought; how can we add to this. 

2 minutes ago, iloveboxcars said:

Good Time was pretty hectic (nothing compared to uncut gems) but when he SPOILERS poured that gallon of acid or whatever down that security guards throat END SPOILERS I couldn't shake it. That would be so fucked to experience.

Likely never come out of it and need to be institutionalized 

1 hour ago, Kults said:

I don’t quite get it either. They’re the new MIRAMAX. Every single last one of their releases is something special. It feels like they just curate the best and most unique stuff. 

No idea how we got here but it’s such a breath of fresh air in what I consider a stagnant industry. At least for the kinds of movies I like to watch. Not really in for the big budget popcorn flicks as you guys can tell form the recs I post. It does feel kind of cult like, it’s almost like a bunch of film geeks got together and watched the criterion collection on a loop and thought; how can we add to this. 

Definitely seems like it. Criterion junkies for life. So much fresh blood coming out. Debut directors and writers. I need to get my shit together and start writing my little bullshit scripts.  

• Props 1

5 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Definitely seems like it. Criterion junkies for life. So much fresh blood coming out. Debut directors and writers. I need to get my shit together and start writing my little bullshit scripts.  

Seen this one yet? A+(24)

amvyf.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Ha but i will this weekend. That Jessica Chastain (had to google her name) is so fucking dope. GAAAHT DANG!

I think I’ve seen it a half dozen times now. I’m weird like that. When I really like a movie I’ll rewatch for the sense of place, the universe they’ve created or just to catch details I missed the first times when I was paying attention to the mains and the story 

On 1/17/2020 at 1:11 AM, Kults said:

Seen this one yet? A+(24)

amvyf.jpg

Watched. Was pretty good. Not on par with anything else I’ve seen coming out of that company though. It seemed like it had a lot of potential for greatness and with every escalation (RUNNINGLOL) i was expecting more but it never happened. Good film. Not great. 

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Watched. Was pretty good. Not on par with anything else I’ve seen coming out of that company though. It seemed like it had a lot of potential for greatness and with every escalation (RUNNINGLOL) i was expecting more but it never happened. Good film. Not great. 

I agree that it could have used a little more..punch? I think it stays within his character not to let everything escalate and ultimately fall apart though. He won.

I think my favorite part of it was the setting and how they nailed the NYC of the early 80s