Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
rush-poster2.jpg

Enjoyed this.

^Put this on way too late and stayed up to watch the entire thing. Great movie.

Open Grave

MV5BMTc1MDM5MTI0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTMyODI1MDE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

The trailer for this makes it look like it'll be shit but I really like Sharlto Copley (District 9/Elysium)

Could be that south africans have pretty badass accents, even if they try to hide them.

It's kind of a zombie movie/thriller with a fairly foreseeable twist. Either way I enjoyed and have watched it again with different friends.

Last Days On Mars

MV5BMTk4ODgxMDU0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTg0NzcyMDE@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

another terrible trailer to give you a bad notion towards the movie.

I was told this was zombies on mars so went in with very low expectations which were blown away. really awesome movie in my opinion, but again, it's kind of about zombies which I'll always give a more lenient rating on. I've watched this with my wife then friends and with my family again.

papillon

papillononesheetposter.jpg

A man befriends a fellow criminal as the two of them begin serving their sentence on a dreadful prison island, which inspires the man to plot his escape. Papillon is a 1973 prison film directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, based on the best-selling autobiography by the French convict Henri Charrière.

this

lone%2Bsurvivor%2Bnorway.png

i enjoyed this immensely.

critics are comparing the fighting scenes in this to be as intense and gruesome

as the opening battle scene of saving private ryan, which left me rocked. they

are not far off. the tension is built so well that by the time they were ready pop

the first shot, i was literally gripping the edge of my seat and when the shit did

pop off, it didnt let off for like a half hour straight. im talking 30 solid minutes

of these guys fighting for their lives against impossible odds. where it differs from

saving private ryan though is that i almost had to turn that shit off when i first

saw it, whereas here i couldnt look away. its got its aspects that are hollywood

standard, which should be expected from a mark wahlberg movie, but if you can

forego that, this is well worth the money to see it in the theatre.

^ and a soundtrack by Explosions In The Sky. I fucking love movies where one band does all or the majority of a soundtrack. this and friday night lights were put way up on my list because of that. or chemical brothers doing hanna, and tron done by daft punk. Movies which I would probably not enjoy without the steady soundtrack

cover.jpg

The Prestige is a 2006 British-American film directed by Christopher Nolan, from a screenplay adapted by Nolan and his brother Jonathan Nolan from Christopher Priest's 1995 World Fantasy Award-winning novel of the same name. The story follows Robert Angier and Alfred Borden, rival stage magicians in London at the end of the 19th century. Obsessed with creating the best stage illusion, they engage in competitive one-upmanship with tragic results.

The film features Hugh Jackman as Robert Angier, Christian Bale as Alfred Borden, and David Bowie as Nikola Tesla. It also stars Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson, Piper Perabo, Andy Serkis, and Rebecca Hall. The film reunites Nolan with actors Bale and Caine from Batman Begins, and returning cinematographer Wally Pfister, production designer Nathan Crowley, film score composer David Julyan, and editor Lee Smith.

MPW-27888

The Deer Hunter is a 1978 American war drama film co-written and directed by Michael Cimino about a trio of Russian American steelworkers and their service in the Vietnam War. The film stars Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, John Savage, John Cazale, Meryl Streep, and George Dzundza. The story takes place in Clairton, a small working class town on the Monongahela River south of Pittsburgh and then in the jungle of Vietnam, and in Saigon, during the Vietnam War.

The film was based in part on an unproduced screenplay called The Man Who Came to Play by Louis Garfinkle and Quinn K. Redeker about Las Vegas and Russian Roulette. Producer Michael Deeley, who bought the script, hired writer/director Michael Cimino who, with Deric Washburn, rewrote the script, taking the Russian Roulette element and placing it in the Vietnam War. The film went over-budget and over-schedule and ended up costing $15 million. The scenes of Russian roulette were highly controversial on release.

The film won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor for Christopher Walken, and was named by the American Film Institute as the 53rd Greatest Movie of All Time on the 10th Anniversary Edition of the AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies list.