Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Kults said:

@One Man Banneddef check this one out if you get the chance ^ 

Its not for everyone, I have a friend who thought it was so dull but to me it felt like the modern version of Taxi Driver, loved it

Wasn't for me.  Wasn't a waste of time I guess but kind of meh.  It was a little Taxi Driver x The Professional maybe with some obvious borrowing (or stealing) from Taxi Driver.  

I wouldn't call it dull but can understand your friend's perspective from the point that there was little dialogue, some of the dialogue was so brief or low that you miss it, and the scenes/action don't do a lot to fill in what's missing.

• Props 1

3 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Wasn't for me.  Wasn't a waste of time I guess but kind of meh.  It was a little Taxi Driver x The Professional maybe with some obvious borrowing (or stealing) from Taxi Driver.  

I wouldn't call it dull but can understand your friend's perspective from the point that there was little dialogue, some of the dialogue was so brief or low that you miss it, and the scenes/action don't do a lot to fill in what's missing.

Thats echoes what he said. He wanted to see the Hammer hitting, I thought it was cool that they didnt show it and just left it up to the imagination. It for SURE apes taxi Driver. It was super subtle and I can understand how that could be a turn off to some. Nice that you watched it though, I feel Pheonix is one of the best modern actors, every scene hes in is intense.

Edited by Kults

I meant more that the backstory to the character was alluded to in randomly interspersed clips and you're somewhat left to assume his occupation.  It also doesn't really help that Phoenix looks like a sack of potatoes.  I was willing to forgive the hammer a bit because they at least tried to tie it in to the back story, but really, who brings a hammer to a gun fight?

Don't know where else to put this- Anyone else notice in film and tv recently how they film scenes in pitch black or barely audible sound for 'realness?'  I thought I was the only one annoyed by this but Howard Stern has ranted about it twice recently, more about scenes filmed in the dark where the viewer can't see shit. 

7 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

I meant more that the backstory to the character was alluded to in randomly interspersed clips and you're somewhat left to assume his occupation.  It also doesn't really help that Phoenix looks like a sack of potatoes.  I was willing to forgive the hammer a bit because they at least tried to tie it in to the back story, but really, who brings a hammer to a gun fight?

I feel ya.

I think the hammer was a throwback to Drive or Hotline Miami. He just doesn't care, he almost wants to die. The flashbacks annoyed me too to be fair. What I got from those was that he was abused by his dad as a child and his mother just stood by watching it go down. Probably why he does what he does now. At some point they allude to him being an Iraq veteran, lines up with how he got into this line of work to begin with.

I do like it when they don't overly explain everything and leave some stuff up in the air. Like when he raids that first pedo brothel and there's just little kids wandering the halls after hes killed the guards and johns. He just leaves them there.. wtf.

From what i understood, the Senator is part of some elite group that swaps out young kids with each other, his wife killed herself when she discovered he was abusing their daughter under her nose. He then trades the daughter for another kid with the Governor, regrets it and then sends Pheonix after him. The cabal finds out, cleans it all up as best they can, no one goes to jail or gets caught. Just the few guys who got caught red handed. Fuckin eerie and echoes a lot of the current events just coming to light now. The Epstein lolita express comes to mind. A lot of subtext going on here.

"Free Solo" 

An absolutely amazing documentary about a rock climber, Alex Honnold, who climbs Yosemite's El Capitan with out any rope or harness. It's a 3,500 ft climb and it's the first time anyone has ever climbed it with out rope. It's a spectacular, athletic achievement that's documented on film and I've personally watched this film at least ten times. It's on Hulu and Amazon Prime currently. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Just watched Glass with Samuel Jackson and Bruce Williams and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. New take on super heroes that comes off more believable than the typical stuff. Apparently it’s the third in a series so maybe watch them in order. 

They’re so loosely tied together it’s really not necessary. That was my fave of the 3 fwiw