We Form Like Voltron

2 blaazed

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Voltron: Defender of the Universe" is coming to the big screen.

Producer Mark Gordon ("The Day After Tomorrow") is developing a big-budget feature based on the 1980s giant robot kids TV series and toy sensation.

The "Voltron" animated TV series debuted in 1984, about the same time as Hasbro's Transformers toy line, igniting a morphing robot phenomenon. According to sources, Voltron has generated $750 million in worldwide licensing and nearly $200 million in toys and merchandising since 1984. The show, in its many incarnations, remains syndicated throughout the world.

The story being developed will be based on the series about five maverick explorer-pilots who must travel to the planet Arus to learn how to operate Voltron, a giant mechanical warrior formed by five smaller robots. The gargantuan robot is the last hope against the evil Drule Empire that has subjugated Earth and taken control of the universe.

Two employees at New Line Cinema, Mark Costa and Ford Oelman, secured the rights from "Voltron" owner World Events, and eventually brought the project to Gordon, whose credits also include "Saving Private Ryan" and "Speed." Costa and Oelman will executive produce, along with Pharrell Williams, one-half of the producing duo the Neptunes, who will score the film and produce the soundtrack.

"Voltron" is now the second giant robot picture being developed; "Transformers" is set up at DreamWorks Pictures.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this scares me for something very nostalgic for someone growig up in the 80's I really think he should let sleeping dogs lie ( by that I just mean put the reruns into syndication)so as to not compleatly fuck it up

don't get me wrong I really would like to see these movies(done well) but i can see them getting real fucked

damn america... youve been given false information regarding tranformers and voltron...sure the animation was real but the voice overs where all lies........

we know nothing of the real stories of the cartoons we charished so long ago..

why must this trembling heart shake so jagged upon the woes of the little plastic keys i lose every year and find under my bed and weep at the sight of melting helmuts betwixt my mothers dashboaord and window in the sun.... for was it not the cars that came first or was it the spaceships twas it the lions i know not.

cough*