RENDITION

Salafi_Zahrah

'Rendition' Realities

By David Ignatius

Wednesday, March 9, 2005; Page A21

Torture is immoral and illegal, and the refusal to allow cruel interrogation techniques is one measure of a civilized society. But this ironclad moral argument doesn't necessarily apply to the practice known as "extraordinary rendition."

Rendition is the CIA's antiseptic term for its practice of sending captured terrorist suspects to other countries for interrogation. Because some of those countries torture prisoners -- and because some of the suspected terrorists "rendered" by the CIA say they were in fact tortured -- the debate has tended to lump rendition and torture together. The implication is that the CIA is sending people to Egypt, Jordan or other Middle Eastern countries because they can be tortured there and coerced into providing information they wouldn't give up otherwise.

The problem with this argument is that it assumes that the CIA believes that torture works. But in 30 years of writing about intelligence, I've never encountered a spook who didn't realize that torture is usually counterproductive. Professional intelligence officers know that prisoners will confess to anything under intense pain. Information obtained through torture thus tends to be unreliable, in addition to being immoral.

To read the rest

60 Minutes video

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think that any method that is RELIABLE and EFFECTIVE is acceptable. The problem with interrogation techniques that involve permenant physical damage ("torture") is that they are not reliable, just as the article says. With modern drugs and psychological techniques, physical brutality should not be necessary, but one way or another, those detainees are going to tell us what they know.

The sooner they do so, the sooner they will be on their way back to their home and family. The higher-ranking the detainee, the greater the pressure to be brought to bear. They will talk. Everybody talks. The only question is "When?"

I saw something on 60 minutes or something about some dude that was a Canadian citizen that was "rendered" by the US to Egypt to be tortured and it turned out he was a completly inoscent stand up kind of guy and only got hemmed up in the first place cause he looked like a camel jockey.

Canada's realy pissed cause we violated international law by sending one of their citizens to Egypt to be tortured.

hmm, it couldn't only be the u.s. that condones the use of torture

certainly no muslim countries would condone such brutality?

let's look at amnesty international torture reports!

25/07/2005 Iraq: In cold blood: abuses by armed groups (REPORTS)

MDE 14/009/2005

20/07/2005 UK: Jordan assurances not worth the paper they are written on (NEWS)

EUR 45/025/2005

17/07/2005 Uganda: Violence against women in Northern Uganda (REPORTS)

AFR 59/001/2005

14/07/2005 Syria: Further information on: Prisoners of conscience/incommunicado detention/fear of torture and ill-treatment (URGENT ACTIONS)

MDE 24/049/2005

14/07/2005 Iran: Further information on: Medical concern/Fear for safety/incommunicado detention, Akbar Ganji (URGENT ACTIONS)

MDE 13/034/2005

12/07/2005 Iran: Further information on: Fear for safety/medical concern, Nasser Zarafshan (URGENT ACTIONS)

MDE 13/033/2005

12/07/2005 Ecuador: Further information on: Fear for safety (URGENT ACTIONS)

AMR 28/016/2005

11/07/2005 Guatemala: Fear for safety/Death threats: Mario Antonio Godínez López (m), aged 37, human rights defender (URGENT ACTIONS)

AMR 34/034/2005

05/07/2005 Democratic Republic of Congo: arming the east (REPORTS)

AFR 62/006/2005

01/07/2005 USA: Who are the Guantánamo detainees? Case sheet 10: Chadian national: Mohamed C (REPORTS)

AMR 51/110/2005

30/06/2005 Israel/Occupied Territories: Israel - Briefing to the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (REPORTS)

MDE 15/037/2005

30/06/2005 Mexico: Fear for safety/ill-treatment/torture/threats, Bryan Torres (URGENT ACTIONS)

AMR 41/022/2005

30/06/2005 Turkmenistan: Appeal cases. Mukhametkuli Aymuradov and Gurbandurdy Durdykuliev: calling for prompt release (REPORTS)

EUR 61/006/2005

28/06/2005 Kyrgyzstan: Refugees in need of a safe haven (REPORTS)

EUR 58/008/2005

28/06/2005 China: People's Republic of China - Abolishing "Re-education through Labour". Appeal cases (REPORTS)

ASA 17/014/2005

27/06/2005 Burundi: Refugee Rights at Risk : Human Rights Abuses in Returns to and from Burundi (REPORTS)

AFR 16/006/2005

24/06/2005 Amnesty International launches campaign against torture in the 'war on terror' (NEWS)

ACT 40/006/2005

23/06/2005 Guatemala: Fear for safety/death threats, José Ernesto Menchú Tojib (URGENT ACTIONS)

AMR 34/033/2005

23/06/2005 Mongolia: Further information on: Medical/ Legal Concerns/ Prisoner of Conscience, Lodoisambuu Sanjaasuren (URGENT ACTIONS)

ASA 30/002/2005

23/06/2005 Yemen: Fear for safety/ Incommunicado detention/ Medical concern, Ibrahim al-Saiani (URGENT ACTIONS)

MDE 31/010/2005

22/06/2005 Morocco/Western Sahara: Justice must begin with torture inquiries (NEWS)

MDE 29/003/2005

22/06/2005 Nepal: Further information on: Possible "Disappearance"/Fear for safety/Fear of torture or ill-treatment (URGENT ACTIONS)

ASA 31/055/2005

21/06/2005 Guatemala: Further information on: Fear for safety/death threats, Armando Sánchez (URGENT ACTIONS)

AMR 34/032/2005

21/06/2005 Venezuela: Further information on: Fear for safety/Death threats (URGENT ACTIONS)

AMR 53/004/2005

21/06/2005 A twelve point action plan to stamp out torture in Brazil (REPORTS)

AMR 19/025/2004

20/06/2005 Italy: Temporary stay - Permanent rights: The treatment of foreign nationals detained in 'temporary stay and assistance centres' (CPTAs) (REPORTS)

EUR 30/004/2005

20/06/2005 Spain: The Southern Border. The State turns its back on the human rights of refugees and migrants (REPORTS)

EUR 41/008/2005

17/06/2005 Nepal: Possible "Disappearance"/Fear for safety/Fear of torture or ill-treatment (URGENT ACTIONS)

ASA 31/053/2005

16/06/2005 Myanmar: Myanmar's Political Prisoners: A Growing Legacy of Injustice (REPORTS)

ASA 16/019/2005

15/06/2005 Iran: Further information on:Fear for safety/medical concern, Nasser Zarafshan (URGENT ACTIONS)

the CIA is really getting shat on these days.

let's not forget there are plenty of people to get angry with

http://web.amnesty.org/library/eng-313/index

The article speaks of CIA members taking terrorist suspects to other countries for interrogation that allow torture. Some of the countries are on the list you just posted.

The implication is that the CIA is sending people to Egypt, Jordan or other Middle Eastern countries because they can be tortured there and coerced into providing information they wouldn't give up otherwise.

exactly.

governments are in this together for the most part.

if torture wasn't condoned in those places, then it wouldn't be so easy for the CIA

would it?

many americans know torture is counter-productive, not to mention inhumane

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by symbols@Jul 25 2005, 01:27 PM

exactly.

governments are in this together for the most part.

if torture wasn't condoned in those places, then it wouldn't be so easy for the CIA

would it?

many americans know torture is counter-productive, not to mention inhumane

I don't get it...I operate under the assumption that these countries which torture suspects are bad. You seem to as well.

So, this entire post is clearly about how messed up the practice is, and how it does nothing to contribute to info gathering...yet you argue against the people <seemingly on reflex> involved here to deflect from the agreement of our government with there actions. Of course this doesnt reflect Kabars ideas who seems to relish in human misery as long as it fits into the plot of a Steven Segal film....but I think we all were on the same page

What was your point? The practice is bad? That these countries are not helpless pawns? The countries we use to gain the info are not as concerned with human rights? Yes it was implied, and the vast majority of the world is governed by criminsl minded politicians that we love. Well we and the British supported and support the not so elected governments there in the mid-east. So go Egypt, and Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan and Iraq up until the 90's and Afghanistan. I wonder why even the mods here seem so intent on argument yet so little on content...why doesn't popp man bob contribute here any more?

These countries are ridiculous yet the CIA shaped them and the government of today counts them on our Ally list...

We torture people and I shit on the CIA...

helpless pawns?

no, i don't think that is the case.

hardly.

how the fuck is the kingodm of saudi arabia helpless pawns?

did we not LEAVE saudi arabia?

without changing it?

like i said, these fucks are in this together

pakistan has nukes and won't capture bin laden..yeah, they are really our pawns in all this

my post isn't about how messed up torture is

it's about how rampant the fucking practice is WORLDWIDE

look at the amnesty international report.

the united states is not controlling all those governments

not all of them are our allies

half the time i think conspiracy theorists are just naive.

my point is that there is plenty of blame to go around.

yes, we are all generally on the same page

i don't condone the CIA or the government

but many people on this board shit on the u.s. government constantly

[like salafi, even though she probably lives in the u.s., is able to practice her religion freely, and is for the most part treated as equal, with many an oppurtunity available to her]

the topic is the US practice of kidnapping and outsourcing torture.

i know you've got no love for the govt symbols, but

rendition is some pretty fucking serious shit and the US govt's behaviour in this

case, or any other domestic or international case, should never be treated

with kid gloves. i'm ignorant to the whole salafi/dawood versus others soap opera,

so maybe you're just irked with the onslaught of their arguments.

regardless, practically every subject in crossfire revolves heavily around

US global behaviour..so maybe if the mind numbing hypocrisy subsided, this(hatin' the US govt) would change.

so maybe if the mind numbing hypocrisy subsided, this(hatin' the US govt) would change.

Sounds like a logical conclusion to me!

cause he looked like a camel jockey

SF whats with the camel jockey comment?

big up,big ups to all the honkeys,gooks,crackers,niggers,spics

,wops and camel jockeys in the house!! -SF1

Rendition is easy as shit to avoid. All one need do is refrain from involving oneself in terrorist activity. But, if you involve yourself in terrorist activity, best expect to get captured and sent to the ends of the earth to be interrogated by people who basically don't give a shit whether you live another ten minutes or not, unless you are telling them everything you know about whatever you were involved in.

Human misery doesn't come into it at all. I don't wish anyone to be in misery. All people need to do to avoid being interrogated by Cyborgs is not break the law. But on the other hand, if people feel entitled to go around talking shit and trying to kill or injure American troops, or coalition troops, or Iraqi troops, they can just expect to be arrested and chained up like a dog to the cargo deck of a C-130 and shipped off to Eygpt or Cuba or somewhere to be squeezed for information by men who see you as absolutely nothing but an object.

Detainees will talk. They will give up information, or they will be subjected to greater and greater pressure until they do so. They can try to be clever, and give up just little snippets of information, but ultimately, they will talk.

I do not believe that terrorists have any right to resist interrogation or to not talk. As long as our soldiers are at risk, and the "insurgents" do not conduct warfare by the accepted civilized rules of war, they forfeit most consideration that the captured enemy combatants in uniform would be accorded. Depriving them of sleep is fair. Subjecting them to sensory deprivation, or sensory overload, is fair. Using drugs that reduce inhibition to talk, is fair. Using psychological techniques to induce embarrassment, shame, revulsion, etc. is fair. These people are trying to kill our soldiers, and short of interrogation techniques that actually result in death or permenant physical damage, pretty much anything is fair. I read that an Iraqi general was captured and died under interrogation that involved him being beaten while zipped up completely inside of a sleeping bag. That is not only not fair, but it wasn't effective either, because the sonofabitch died without telling our interrogators what we wanted to know. The U.S. interrogators that stupidly let a Baathist fascist general officer escape into death should be severely punished. His carelessness may have cost American soldiers their lives, because that dead general contained intelligence information that we wanted, but did not obtain. Had the general simply told us what we wanted to know, he would still be alive, and we would have the information that we wanted him to tell us. Essentially, he killed himself, and our interrogator should NOT have allowed him to do so, at least, not until he told us what we wanted to know.

Prisoners scheduled for interrogation must understand that there is no alternative. They will be held indefinately, unless they cooperate, for years, if necessary, or even for the rest of their lives. They do not get the option to not talk, unless they wish to be subjected to ever-greater, relentless pressure for as long as is required to obtain their compliance. Detainess that try to kill themselves to escape would be prevented from doing so. Hunger strikers would be restrained and force fed with a tube. There is no avoiding it--either you talk, or the interrogation continues, presumably forever.

Or, one could simply choose to live a normal, law-abiding life, and not participate in any terrorist activity, which is certainly the choice most sane, intelligent people would choose, and indeed, the path the vast majority of Iraqi citizens choose. Only the terrorists choose to engage in murderous, traitorous, "insurgent" behavior.

Yo Kabar, maybe you missed this the first time around...

Originally posted by SF1@Jul 25 2005, 04:54 PM

I saw something on 60 minutes or something about some dude that was a Canadian citizen that was "rendered" by the US to Egypt to be tortured and it turned out he was a completly inoscent stand up kind of guy and only got hemmed up in the first place cause he looked like a camel jockey.

:rolleyes:

I didn't miss it. This guy was wandering around in Iraq, in the middle of a combat zone. He appeared to be a "foreign volunteer." That was a pretty big mistake on his part. He got scooped up and sent to be interrogated. The Egyptians have plenty of problems with Islamist jihadists themselves, and they are in no mood to fuck around with people they think are terrorists. They speak the language. Islam is their religion, too. They live in the Middle East. They intend to root out terrorism, root and branch. Our Iraqi-Canadian is damned lucky to have survived at all.

Suggestion #1--Stay the fuck out of Iraq unless you have permission to be there.

Suggestion#2--Do not associate with Muslim extremists. Do not contribute any money to their cause. Do not read their literature, or keep their propaganda at your home or business. In short, avoid any behavior that could be misinterpreted as support for the enemies of the United States or it's allies, including the government of Iraq.

Suggestion#3--If you get arrested and interrogated, tell them the complete truth about everything immediately. DO NOT LIE. They will find out, and they will continue to interrogate you relentlessly until you tell them the truth. (Sometimes they already know a lot, but they don't tell the person being interrogated, just to see if he is lying to them or not.) Your chances of being released are greatly improved if the interrogators know you are being cooperative. If they think you are fucking around, you wind up getting sent to Egypt.

That's funny, we must be talking about 2 different people. The guy I was talking about got "scooped" at an American airport. :rolleyes:

And it took being TORTURED in EGYPT to confirm that he actually WAS telling the truth the whole time!

Well, I've got no counter argument for that one. If he got arrested within the U.S., he should not have been sent outside the U.S. to be interrogated, and as far as I can see, he should have been covered by U.S. Federal law with the same Constitutional protections that everyone within the U.S. is supposed to receive.

No wonder Canada is pissed off, I don't blame them.

So how many Canadians are being interrogated in Eygpt, anyway? You'd think the FBI or whomever arrested this guy would have at least checked with the Canadians to see if the guy was legitimate.

• 2 weeks later...

information extraction is effective, but no matter the name it is given there is going to be a violation of rights.

i'd be pissed had i been that canadian fellow, though (as a proud American citizen) i recognize that to stand apart as the US does some 'unfortunate events' ARE going to take place, time and time again. and i am okay with that. i'm sure that makes me arrogant and selfish...

but i'm sure you drove your car today...

yeah lets give them all a bunch of meth and theyll talk right....make um stay up...this is crazy... just as crazy as the televised confessions that are being broadcast on to iraqi tv....some straight "84 shit...

a lil excerpt from times online

Terror confessions on TV grip Baghdad

By Catherine Philp

On-screen admissions are used in the propaganda war

THE grim-faced young man looks shiftily in front of him, glancing from time to time at the lens recording his discomfort. A disembodied voice barks out: “Tell us about the crime you committed.”

The man clears his throat and begins to mumble. “We attacked the National Guard with machineguns and killed two of them. Then we beheaded one of them.” He stumbles for a moment, as if forgetting his lines. Then the interrogator prompts him with more details of his story and he continues with the tale of how he joined the insurgency and the attacks he carried out.

This is Terror in the Grip of Justice, the latest television hit in entertainment-starved Iraq where it is too dangerous to venture out at night and street life ends at last light. It is also the latest weapon in the Government’s propaganda war against the insurgents, aimed at exposing them as the enemies of ordinary Iraqis and cautioning those tempted to join them. Every night at 9pm thousands tune in to the state-run al-Iraqiya channel to see the “confessions” by insurgents paraded before the camera and interrogated.

The authorities insist that the confessions are genuine and obtained without duress, although some of the scripted-sounding accounts suggest otherwise. The series began several weeks ago with purported Syrian and Egyptian insurgents admitting that they joined the insurgency after training from Syrian intelligence.

Last week, to counter suggestions that the alleged offenders were anything but real, the programme-makers invited victims’ families to hurl abuse at the suspects and detail their bloody crimes.

In one riveting episode this week, a gloating interrogator, barely able to disguise the venom in his voice, sought to cast a motley bunch of alleged insurgents as criminals unworthy of the name of Mujahidin (fighters in a holy war), a word with honourable connotations in the Arab world.

A suspect who confessed to receiving payments from Abu Musab al-Zarqawi’s insurgent group in turn for killing policemen was asked how he spent the money. “On booze and clothes,” he said.

“You call yourself a holy warrior but you drink?” spat the interrogator. “You discredit the name of jihad.”

Then, like Jerry Springer delivering his “final thought”, the interrogator addressed his own homily to those at home: “For those who say we are discrediting the jihad, I swear by God, if it was a real jihad, we would be leading it. You see how they are killing innocent people and raping under the cover of jihad? The real jihad is not raping and killing, it’s rebuilding this country all together.”

Terror in the Grip of Justice has become the most watched show ever on al-Iraqiya, an unpopular channel set up and funded by the Americans and, according to Iraqis, watched only when they want to find out some official government information such as when a public holiday will be. The Americans, who no longer supervise the station’s output, say they have no hand in the show which was conceived by the Interior Ministry to demonstrate the authorities’ fight against the insurgency.

Insurgents have begun a propaganda counter-offensive, denouncing the tapes as fakes and threatening to impose “God’s justice” on the station’s employees — a threat apparently made real with the killing of Raeda Wazan, an anchor- woman, last month.

Originally posted by theGOON@Aug 12 2005, 05:07 PM

information extraction is effective, but no matter the name it is given there is going to be a violation of rights.

i'd be pissed had i been that canadian fellow, though (as a proud American citizen) i recognize that to stand apart as the US does some 'unfortunate events' ARE going to take place, time and time again.

That's because you're a fucking idiot.

What are they teaching you kids these days!?!? :rolleyes:

Oh, those poor defenseless terrorists. Why would we ever, ever, EVER use slightly uncomfortable tactics like extending the time in between trips to the bathroom, or not letting them get a full 10 hours of beauty sleep each night in order to prevent attacks on innocent people.

And boo fucking hoo about Egypt. They fight the "resistance", as one of my esteemed colleagues so aptly put it, with the same tactics uncle benny laden uses. Only they don't post it on the internets.

Not every Arab is a terrorist you fucking imbescile. The dude I was talking about turned out to be a straight up good citizen you fucking idiot. How the fuck is the U.S of A gonna turn into a nazi/commie dictatorship anti-freedom, anti-constitutional, ANTI-AMERICAN police state and stupid fucking fuckwad morons like you are gonna defend it with ignorant retarded brain-dead idiotic statements like "oh, poor terrorists"?

Are you going to be saying "Oh, poor terrorists" when they start pulling this shit on your familly, freinds or yourself? :umm: :dunce:

Idiots like you remind me of the old saying (something like this): They came for the Gypsies and I didn't care, because I'm not a Gypsy.

They came for the Jews and I didn't care, because I'm not a Jew.

They came for the faggots and I didn't care, because I'm not a faggot.

They came for the Catholics and I didn't care, because I'm not a Catholic...

Then they came for me, and there was nobody left to defend me. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SF1+Aug 14 2005, 01:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SF1 - Aug 14 2005, 01:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Krakatau@Aug 14 2005, 06:05 AM

:chicken: little

Chicken little???

What? I'm "chicken" of living in a Nazi/Commie polices state? And you're not? What are you retarded?

[/b]

No, but you are dumb enough to

a. think that nazi & commie are synonymous

b. see 'police state' as the logical endpoint of every shitty thing that happens to some unfortunate individual.

Hence the 'chicken little' label.

Watch your head, homie. Sky's falling.

Douchbag,

A. Nazi/Commie means a combonation of Nazi and Commie traits.

B."Police state is not the "logical explanation for everything shitty that happens to some unfortunate individual", it's an acurate description of what our country is curently turning into. Infact alot of the country are already there. That's a fact that only a braindead idiot would be too blind to see.

:rolleyes:

Sure thing. Your logical kung-fu is too much for me.

Could you describe this commie/nazi thing in a little more detail for me? I'm interested. Open my eyes to the 'police state' issue as well. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to have noticed how horrible things are.

I've noticed you rely heavily on name calling. Ad hominems are the hallmark of a weak arguement.

Originally posted by Krakatau@Aug 14 2005, 07:38 AM

Sure thing.  Your logical kung-fu is too much for me.

Could you describe this commie/nazi thing in a little more detail for me?  I'm interested.  Open my eyes to the 'police state' issue as well.

I tried to post links to some threads on here cause I really don't feal like typing 10 paragraphs describing to you're feeble brain how it is that we live in a fascist police state (I guess you're too slow to notice your suroundings on your own) but I suck at computers so I don't know how to post links and I can't figure it out.

Search for these threads...

Patriot Act *breaking news*

Random "Drug War" Bill under proposition

10 more years

Then they came for the children

This is great. I have a feeble brain, but you can't figure out how to post links? Click that 'http://' button, and then copy and paste the URL you want me to see. Click 'OK'. Type a title for your link. Click 'OK'. There. You learned something new. Complicated, huh?

As far as typing ten paragraphs... just be concise. I don't want to read other threads. I want you to explain it, because I don't think you can.