Don't run from the police in London...

Fugazi

Police Shoot Man at London Subway Station

By Associated Press

Published July 22, 2005, 5:45 AM CDT

LONDON -- Police in London shot a man wearing a thick coat at a subway station and cordoned off a mosque on Friday, a day after the city was hit by a second wave of terror attacks in two weeks.

Police had no immediate details on the situation at the mosque in east London. But a Muslim leader said it was evacuated following a bomb threat.

The circumstances of the shooting at Stockwell station were not immediately clear, nor was the man's condition. One witness said he was dead.

British Transport Police said the Northern and Victoria Tube lines, which pass through Stockwell, were suspended because of shooting.

Passengers said they saw police pursuing a man who appeared to be of Pakistani or Indian descent. Some said police shot him when he tripped.

But one witness told the British Broadcasting Corp. that police "pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him."

"He looked like a cornered fox. He looked pertrified," Mark Whitby said, adding that the man appeared to be dead.

Whitby said the man did not appear to be carrying anything but was wearing a thick coat that looked padded.

Another witness said there were at least 20 police officers involved in the chase.

"The next thing I saw was this guy jump over the barriers and the police officers were chasing after him and everyone was just shouting, 'Get out, Get out!'" said Chris Wells, 28.

:shook: :shook: :shook:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There's better news articles you could have used, like the ones that explain that his house had been under survalience and when they saw him leave in a thick coat in the middle of the summer, they followed him to a train station and when they told him to stop he bolted. I'm of the opinion they should have just shot him as soon as he started running.

yeah I think the London police have a shoot to kill policy when it comes to matters like this..moral of the story kids..if you look like a terrorist, don't run like a terrorist or you'll get shot..like a terrorist..sucks they don't hold and question suspects, maybe to aid the investigation..but I guess when that many lives are at stake..its warranted?..hmm

Originally posted by oneeightyone@Jul 23 2005, 06:50 PM

yea i like how a lot of info is nexed..he wasnt middle eastern either dude was asian.

it was 70 degrees outside, he was wearing aheavy winter coat.

HELLO!!, Dude should have gotten shot a few more times.

haha... 70, thick coat... this man's got a point.

running away from 10 armed guys is only stupid if you don't know they're cops...

BBC just said the guy had nothing to do with any bombings. there was also a guy from scotland yard telling everyone that cops don't have any temporary special rights to fire ppl at will.

anyway, the guy escaped... that's dumb. however the cops were in plainclothes, AND they tackled him first, then shot him 5 times point blank. this is what I collected. correct me if I'm wrong. the S.Y. big shot also said that plainclothes cops should always have a baseball cap or some kind of an armband that says "police" and that usually plainclothes officers dont pack heat. if they do, their rules of engagement are more strict than officers in uniforms. something like that?

even if the guy knew they were cops, he could've just as well be a robber, a drug dealer, a writer or an asian guy who doesnt read/speak english in panic situations.

whatever, in the media it's being scooped as a major police fuck up at the moment

cops arent geniuses.

i am sure that really isnt a secret.

you get some bobbie who has a marlboro man poster

on his wall at home and thinks hes a cowboy and is just

itching to shoot somebody and then his friends get into it

and it is like a pillow fight at a prepubescent girlie party.

theyre all giggling and shooting this guy

whilst he lays on the ground face down

never thinking twice that maybe shooting

him repeatedly might detonate any explosive

he may or may not have been carrying.

peace.

yeah apparently

A man shot dead on a London Underground train by police hunting attempted suicide bombers in the city has been named as a 27-year-old Brazilian, Jean Charles de Menezes.

He was formally identified in a brief statement from London's Metropolitan Police, who again confirmed that he was not linked to the four blasts on public transport in the city on Thursday.

"He was not connected to incidents in central London on 21 July, 2005 in which four explosive devices were partly detonated," the statement said.

Terrified onlookers described seeing plainclothes officers pursue the man through Stockwell Underground station in south London on Friday morning before cornering him in a train carriage where they shot him five times in the head at point-blank range.

Police initially said the shooting was "directly linked" to their investigation into the bombings, adding that the man had been wearing a thick coat on a summer day, prompting fears he was concealing explosives.

However, police said earlier today they were "now satisfied" that the dead man was not connected to the blasts.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

"For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets," police said, acknowledging they had shot the wrong man.

Police have been on alert since July 7, when four suicide bombers - named later as British Muslims - killed themselves and 52 others in blasts on three subway trains and a bus.

Thursday's attacks were a near-exact replica, but the four rucksack-carried bombs failed to explode properly, prompting the would-be suicide bombers to flee.

Brazilian Foreign Minister Celso Amorim was shocked and perplexed by the shooting, Globo TV reported.

Amorim is travelling to London this weekend for a conference about United Nations reform. He is asking for a special meeting with British Foreign Minister Jack Straw to obtain clarification about the death.

"The government expects the British authorities to explain the circumstances that led to this tragedy," a Foreign Ministry statement said.

The Brazilian was "apparently the victim of a lamentable mistake", the statement said.

The family of Menezes said it wanted his body to be returned to Brazil as soon as possible.

"I asked that the body be released as quickly as possible, we need to bring him to Brazil, which is what the family wants," his cousin, Alex Alves, told Globo television.

"He does not have a past that would make him run" from police, Alves said.

Alves said his cousin had lived in London legally for three years and was heading to his job when he was killed. Menezes was an electrician, he said.

Menezes was from the Brazilian south-eastern state of Minas Gerais.

Another cousin, Aleide de Menezes, said Jean Charles de Menezes spoke English very well and would have understood police instructions very well, CBN radio reported.

I dunno, wtf was he doing with a coat on in 70 degree weather? And in regards to the cops shooting 5 times, think about it. All it takes is a split second for a suicide bomber to flip a switch or pull a string and then BOOM, lots of dead people. That's why he was shot so many times. And he WAS under survelience at his house according to the police.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Jul 24 2005, 07:42 AM

All it takes is a split second for a suicide bomber to flip a switch or pull a string and then BOOM, lots of dead people.

thats what i was thinking. i dont think the police would shoot him just for running either...i believe that there is more to this story...

Originally posted by fermentor666@Jul 24 2005, 08:42 AM

I dunno, wtf was he doing with a coat on in 70 degree weather? And in regards to the cops shooting 5 times, think about it. All it takes is a split second for a suicide bomber to flip a switch or pull a string and then BOOM, lots of dead people. That's why he was shot so many times. And he WAS under survelience at his house according to the police.

why dont u go and shoot ya self in the head...try to do it 6 times and make this world a safer place...maybe the coat was his way of style...ask snoop dog...or better shoot him maybe he is an suicidebomber...

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ima...I624-2004Dec15L

wie kann es so dumme menschen geben :hatred:

After 2 terrorist attacks in such a small area cops are going to be on their fucking toes. EVERYONE IS. It's quite possible one cop shot, the others scared it was an explosion (you aren't able to think that fast in a split second) fired rounds. although it's sad this man lost his life, if you were these cops you would have done the same thing.