FLESH TANKS

The-WiseOne

-Wise1- Heads up if you decide to go with south american cichlids your choices are slim. Not because they are hard to find but, their diet, tank mates and space become major factors. If you get oscars for example you can only keep oscars as tank mates. BORING. Also, all cichlids pretty much dig shit up so say good bye to those plants. Try anubis plants, java fern, and african ferns. These plants can grow on almost any surface. Drift wood and bulk rock I found to be the best. South American cichlids get big quik as fuck.So, they can rearange a small tank in less than a hour. If you are stuck on Americas cichlids look into Central Americas and Brazilian stuff. Since you say you are saving up for a 55gal. Read up on Lake Malawi or Lake Tangenika. Lake Malawi is more well known, more distributed and alot cheaper. VERY AGRESSIVE for their size which means tons of action. I personaly started out on those. For information on enviroments go to cichlidfurum.com. Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. Research this shit. Your gonna be doing this shit for years to come.

Also, For the big tanks. Check flea markets, garage sales, craigslist, forum sites, e-bay etc etc. My cuzzin got a 175gal fully stocked for $200. Shop around....................... ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ?$?@Aug 4 2005, 03:35 AM

-Wise1- Heads up if you decide to go with south american cichlids your choices are slim. Not because they are hard to find but, their diet, tank mates and space become major factors. If you get oscars for example you can only keep oscars as tank mates. BORING. Also, all cichlids pretty much dig shit up so say good bye to those plants. Try anubis plants, java fern, and african ferns. These plants can grow on almost any surface. Drift wood and bulk rock I found to be the best. South American cichlids get big quik as fuck.So, they can rearange a small tank in less than a hour. If you are stuck on Americas cichlids look into Central Americas and Brazilian stuff. Since you say you are saving up for a 55gal. Read up on Lake Malawi or Lake Tangenika. Lake Malawi is more well known, more distributed and alot cheaper. VERY AGRESSIVE for their size which means tons of action. I personaly started out on those. For information on enviroments go to cichlidfurum.com. Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. Research this shit. Your gonna be doing this shit for years to come.

Also, For the big tanks. Check flea markets, garage sales, craigslist, forum sites, e-bay etc etc. My cuzzin got a 175gal fully stocked for $200. Shop around....................... ;)

yeah exactly i have been reading up on shit, yeah i was thinking about some brazilian stuff, pretty damn expensive to order online, i work at a petstore and we cary american and african, not sure what im gonna go with, but i was thinking about oscars, but they get big, and fast, plus they arent as pretty and as exciting as some others, i have a 10 gallon right now which im breeding puffers in, i like puffers especially dwarfs becuase they can live in tropical fresh water all their lives, unlike all the other puffers which are brackis, or are purely salt, but they are mean as hell, tore up my tank already... and ate a few tiger barbs, and these guys are half a inch big....

but i will look into something more around 75-100 gallons, and i have been cheking out some local pickups on ebay, and want ads, i will keep my eye out for yard sales..... thanks for the info....

i really want to get into the planted scene, i heard about the WPG and CO2 learning about that shit, and i have some micro sword grass (fast growing as hell) some amazon swords, moss, and i will probably buy hardy stuff (java moss, java fern nubis..) bunch of that ish'.... plan on starting small with my 10 gallon and working up from there

i can get a 55 gallon starter kit with everything but the stand gravel, plants, ect... for around 150$ i was thinking about getting it on double discount day where we get 30% of everything.... so it would be around 90$-100$ or something, and i could get a stand at walymart for 50$ for a 50 gall... so im lookin into it, but i have no idea what i will do with my other tanks.... i dont have room in my bedroom, maybe fit em' downstairs somewhere....

good luck those are very expensive 20$ per gallon

update here are my flix

- 10 gallon planted tank, all live plants working on my aquascaping

-20 gallon all fake plants and variouse fish

-25 gallon all fake but one huge amazon sword plants and tiger barbs plus a dwarf puffer fish which will soon go into the ten gallon and house some other puffers....

Picture811762597.jpg

Picture811762601.jpg

Picture811762600.jpg

Picture811762602.jpg

Picture811762604.jpg

• 1 year later...

god damn....that turtles crazy....damn ?$? you got called out earlier!! vegan works as a fish tank guy ahah, thats pretty ill though, i used to go to steinhart all the time that would be a nice job, i could smoke blunts for days at aquariums...i did shrooms at a huge aquarium in japan once that shit was real good!!

We had a 65 gallon tank here at work.

I was the one who had to tend to it.

More trouble than it was worth.

I had to drain every drop of water out of it about a week and a half ago.

Scoop out all the rocks and bullshit.

It was an all day long affair.

I talked them into selling it.

So that I don't have to clean it anymore.

• 11 months later...