Anyone going to see...

Fondles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Saw this tonight, for what it was I thought it was pretty good. Straight-forward violence, basically a homage to the exploitation flicks of the 70's. The ending was a little bit dragged out, though. When that chick got hit by the truck wearing the skin-mask I burst out laughing, unbelievable. I was laughing pretty much throughout the whole movie which was a good thing. The best part of the movie? Watching all the thugs and their girlfriends walk out because it wasn't like Scream.

The Natural Born Killers comparision is pretty bogus. You guys should watch some of the violence films from the 70's and early 80's. That's what this movie was making a "homage" to, not Natural Born Killers. Not only that, but in NBK we're supposed to be on the side of the killers, this movie doesn't try to make you sympathize and in fact makes you want to see them die. Plus no one was forced to wear someone else's face in NBK. Completely different movies. It's like saying War of the Worlds was trying to be like Independance Day.

Well, sure, I can concede to that. But I still found several similarities. And I defintiely think Rob Zombie wanted you to have sympathy for the Rejects rather than for the cop. That drawn out as fuck ending? With the random shots of them playing in a field at sunset...I mean geeze.

A team of killers are on the run killing people at random. They are in the news heavily and a wacked cop is after them. Is that describing The Devil's Rejects or NBK?

I'm not saying this movie was trying to be NBK. I just think where this movie failed, NBK succeeded. It's obviously an homage to 70's exploitation. I could make a movie paying homage to Ed Wood....it's still gonna suck.

Dawg, just enjoy the movie. stop being so analytical about the shit and maybe you would like it more.

I thought it was good, good being i didn't mind spending $6 whole greenbacks on it. and i will most definately be downloading it when its on dvd. cause thats how i roll.

word, if there were any protagonists at all, they had to be the killers... but the confusion is due to Rob Zombie being a clueless bastard. he has no regard for coherence.

all that freezing and slow-mo shit. the soundtrack narrative. the focal lengths, the ultra close ups. get the fuck out. fuck all that. if it weren't shot on 16mm, there would be absolutely nothing worth mentioning in its defense.

the ending was atrocious, for real.

i know that shit seemed glorious to the white trash i was surrounded by, but setting a police-barricade showdown to the entire length of Free Bird, guns blazing in an American-made convertible...

that's some pretentious, self-indulgent shit.

sit down, Rob Zombie. you're not a fucking writer or director.

*edit: that was harsh

The ending was definitly too dragged out and over the top, but I just don't think you guys are getting the point of the film. Go watch a movie like "Last House on the Left" or even the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". Those films aren't very coherant but they are still effective. Texas Chainsaw Massacre has no protagonists, for the most part. The victims in TCM are all annoying except for the girl who survives who eventually you begin to root for.

The freeze frames, slow-mo sequences, soundtrack narrative, it's all in the same vein as the trashy sleaze-house cinema off the 70's. This wasn't a great movie by any means, but it was entertaining because there really hasn't been a movie made like that in a couple of decades. Sometimes in life there's no one to root for. It's way better than the 247th version of Scream with a different name complete with dripping irony, flash-bam-quick cuts, and a hot Tiger Beat cast.

Yeah I'm definitely with you Fermentor, I just don't think he did it right. I know exactly what he wasx going for, and I really am in support of it, I just don't htink he nailed it...and really, with what he was going for, if you don't nail it on the head it's something of an abomination.

Originally posted by Seldoon@Jul 28 2005, 11:41 AM

Dawg, just enjoy the movie. stop being so analytical about the shit and maybe you would like it more.

Was that you at every party I went to in high school?

"Come on man, just smoke/drink/inhale it, you'll have more fun."

i understand completely, and i'm certainly missing the background needed to appreciate this movie... but it was an era in film-making, something that was shocking and bizarre and quasi-influential, but the spirit is definitely gone and Rob Zombie has added NOTHING to the genre. it's his interpretation of that movement, it's his idea of what these guys were doing, and it fucking sucks. it was something wholesome and genuine that Rob Zombie's forebearers were doing, because they were just doing it. but now it's been filtered through Rob Zombie's conciousness and simplified and it almost amounts to mockery.

another thing that seriously bothered me was that every character was some incarnation of Rob Zombie, they all had his 'voice.' that shit was straight up annoying.

i think your last paragraph is dead on, fermentor.

Checked it out and have to say it was pretty good, not as good as 1,000 cropse but worth seeing. Best part in the movie was when the brother goes to buy some chickens "are you going to fuck those chickens?" shit had me laughing!!!

Oh man, also some fuckn immagrant family with two little kids comes while previews were showing, 15 mins. into tohe movie they fucken walked out, that shit was funny too!!!

Checked it out and have to say it was pretty good, not as good as 1,000 cropse but worth seeing. Best part in the movie was when the brother goes to buy some chickens "are you going to fuck those chickens?" shit had me laughing!!!

Oh man, also some fuckn immagrant family with two little kids comes while previews were showing, 15 mins. into tohe movie they fucken walked out, that shit was funny too!!!