new va thread

dcstylez149

What's up boys? I'm new here and was pleased to find a VA thread. I grew up in Reston and have actually moved back recently. Whatever. I used to write a little back in the day but I never amounted to anything more than toy status. These days, I still get down a little in my books so I thought I'd share some new and older shit. I'm out of touch in terms of what's been going on in the culture, so let me have it if this stuff is weak.

Good to be here,

crak

dead.jpg

willie.jpg

smi.jpg

old shit.

soulman.jpg

sss.jpg

old too, but I still dig it.

blankletters.jpg

needs color.

bluecrak.jpg

gunner.jpg

gunsmoke.jpg

high skool old

mask.jpg

oldman.jpg

painterdude.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys.

gren1 bnc- thanks dood. That first sketch is halfway recent.

la creme de la seme- Thanks. I don't know if I really elevated anything but it's a pleasure to be here and I have to say I'm pretty inspired to do more stuff. Let's get this VA thing going!!!

dcstylez149- Thanks. Yeah I'm in Reston.

Here are a few I found laying around last night. I have to admit that I kind of cheated on the black one as it was rendered in Photoshop.

crak.jpg

pen and colored pencils.

black.jpg

the guilty party involved.

brown.jpg

marker, pen, and white pencil.

Cheers.

A Virginia thread... hmmm. I remember the days of living in Reston and bombing the black path tunnels. Making the late night treks to the city to bomb and hit roof tops. I wonder if I have anything still running in Reston? I've heard of stranger things...

I can't believe this roof top is already 17 years old. Jeez...

old02.jpg

Joker-

I recently moved back to Reston and I don't think there is much going on. Of course, I haven't traveled all of the black paths either, so who knows.

Nice pic. You even got "Cool Disco Dan" in there. Of course, taking a picture anywhere in the area would probably land a CDD tag in it!

Back then... 1988... the red line was over-run by FFC and Dan. There were some Ever walls here and there, and some Shaken tags thrown in and around but for the most part it was just FFC. It wasn't until Mesk, Wake and I started hitting the roofs that much changed. I guess shortly after SMK and Dah started doing some walls and underpasses along the red line too. Then Cycle came along and took over... the guy was a machine. Still is...

There was definitely some cool shit to be seen back then. Guys from Baltimore and NYC were making the trek down to do things and then quickly head out. It was nice. Good inspiration. There was a cool wall over by the old 9:30 club that Lee had done too.

As for Reston, you had some very influential writers come out of there. Felon, Etch and myself for starters. Etch was probably the most influential character artist to come out of the DC area. Meaning his work inspired just about every writer in the area. He was that good. I have no doubt that he still is. Maker (singer of Avail now) used to hit Reston pretty hard. Georgetown too. He Mesk and I did a real nice rooftop along the Whitehurst freeway one night. Ran for maybe two days. I think Mesk is the only guy to have gotten a flick of it. Reston had a booming scene for about two years. Lots of kids in South Lakes and Herndon high were bombing hard. And the city was freaking out and didn't know how to handle it. By the time they figured something out, most of us had either moved away or quit writing.

Kitty-corner to the Reston town center... the old Reston Town center... was a soccer field with a hand ball wall court off to the side. That wall was home to lots and lots of pieces. Guys from Sterling were making the trek to hit it up as well which started the first "beef" with other crews in the Reston area. Which led to some other corny beef with crews from Herndon. Nothing short of drama at the most. I don't think anyone ever caught up with each other. Just lots of dissing on walls and such.

Wow... those were good times back then. 1985 to 1988... the good years.

Nice bit of history there. Those were the good old days and it seemed like Reston's scene pretty much died overnight. I remember Sope coming out and he and Felon ripping shit and then I think they moved out to SF and everything was over save for a few good Reston die-hards.

Seems about right. I remember making the trel back there about three years ago. And I saw not a scratch anywhere. In the mid to late 80's you couldn't drive down the road without seeing a tag on a sign or electrical box, High's, Giant Foods, schools... tags were everywhere. Hollows too. It's weird to think about it now. But looking back, in Reston, there wasn't shit to do. Kids had to dosomething with their time and writing on shit seemed natural. It was almost trendy to say you tagged. There were that many people getting up.

Nothing now, hunh. Oh well...

man.... it seems like reston used to be like where i would wanna be! but now if u honestly wanna still get up the redline is still getting murdered left and right and if u chek it out theres mad shyt!! out by like silversprings and shyt. but foreal arlington is sad no one gets up its upseting.... :yuck:

• 2 weeks later...