funk songs

sect one

Originally posted by 972...+Jul 8 2005, 03:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (972... - Jul 8 2005, 03:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-toggle@Jul 8 2005, 08:38 PM

james brown- superfreak...shits hot

its by Rick James.

[/b]

oh shit, i knew that too. i must have have mr brown stuck fresh in my head from others responces. my bad.

maceo parker is great stuff as well. :king:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

...DIRTY WALT AND THE SANITATIONS

Andy Bey

Average White Band

Blue Mitchell

Bobby Womack

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express

Dizzie Gillespie- Sweet Soul

Femi Kuti ..afrocubanstuff

diggin all those listed already..

and why hasnt anybody mentioned prince's 1999?

i tried to stay away from this thread but it kept calling

Curtis Mayfield- "Give Me Your Love"

The Isley Brothers- "Between The Sheets"

Barry White - "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby"

Barry White- "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next To Me"

Sade-"Paradise"

Sade-"Nothing Can Come Between Us"

Sade-"Siempre Hay Esperanza"

Sade-"Turn My Back On You"

Sade- "Cherish The Day"

Sade- "Kiss of Life"

Issac Hayes- "Joy"

Issac Hayes- "Never Can Say Goodbye"

The entire "I Want You" Record by Marvin Gaye

Micheal Jackson- "I Wanna Rock With You"

Danny Tenaglia- "Wurk!"

Danny Tenaglia- "I Feel Loved" (Depeche Mode Remix)

Larry Levan-"Paradise Garage,The Album"

Dee-Lite- "Build The Bridge"

Dee Lite-"What Is Love?"

Tone Loc-"Wild Thang"

------

I just realized that it says "Funk" and not "Fuck" songs...

these are my choice "fuck songs"...but some of them are funk as well, so let i'll 'em rock

sorry

funk-   n. ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (fngk)

a. An earthy quality appreciated in music such as jazz or soul.

b. A type of popular music combining elements of jazz, blues, and soul and characterized by syncopated rhythm and a heavy, repetitive bass line

My dude I don't think you even know half of the songs I posted...

Dictionary definition is irrelevant in this case. By funk we are referring to the great, and largely overlooked, era of the late 60's and early 70's from which real funk lived and died (which then mutated into many other genres).

Isaac, Barry, Marvin (although Marvin did record a couple straight funk cuts), Curtis, etc are all considered Soul or R&B, rather than true funk.

Also, Parliament (George and his 2 bands) is not funk, but a combination of funk and rock (funk rock, a then new genre of music).

And cuz, I do know allll those bands/artists you listed up there and am familiar with alot of their music. I'm a audiophile and am well versed in music of all kinds (except metal and hardcore).

More on this, gotta go.

YEA jimmy did do a few rocksteady/funk songs..

jimmy cliff is also the guy who made the first jamaican movie called 'the harder they come'

all this funk music i've been listening to all day makes me wanna watch oldschool kung fu movies..

five deadly venoms like what!

Brainfreeze is definitely in my top five albums of all time. That record is what really put me on to the funk, and doomed me to a life of dusty fingers and getting yelled at by my girl for having stacks of 45s everywhere. Cut and Shadow had another one, Product Placement, which I saw them do live at the Filmore in SF in like 2001... that probably makes my top five live shows of all time as well. For the record, DJ shadow has probably the biggest record collection in the world. I have a friend that used to roll with him in high school, and he said Shadow had pretty much filled his parent's garage with vinyl by that time. In the Product Placement DVD, there's a part where he and Cut Chemist are making a huge trade with some Japanese cats in a hotel room. Cut is trading the "Music Man" 45 (5,000 ever made, and he had two or three of them) that he sampled for Concrete Schoolyard, among lots of others, and he says "this is probably the biggest trade I've ever made." Shadow replies, "Yeah, this is probably the second biggest I've made this year." That's baller.

yeah, those 2 are sick about records. And japanese are well known for collecting rare records.

Product Placement is fresh as fuck too.

On a side note, Shadow isn't very good doing a regular dj set. I mean, dudes ok...but ummm..kinda sloppy at times. I think he's in his prime when hes fuckin with straight funk.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. Here is my very incomplete list of my favorite funk 45's I've picked up over the years:

Isleys- Fight the power, it's your thing

Otis and Carla- Tramp

William DeVaughn- be thankful for what you got (I guess this is more soul than funk, but what are you gonna do?

Wilson Pickett- Hey Jude

Shirley Ellis- The Clapping Song, The Nitty Gritty (Gladys Knight and the Pips also have a surprisingly funky version of the Nitty Gritty)

Rufus Thomas- Do the funky Penguin

Herbie Hancock- chameleon

Bad Medicine- Trespasser, parts one and two

Edwin Starr- Stop the war

Jimmy McGriff- the worm

The Soul Searchers- funk to the folks

Fabulous Counts- lunar funk

Curtis Mayfield- future shock

This is gonna sound ridiculous, but Tom Jones- lookin' out my window. Seriously.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings- this land is your land

Alvin Cash- twine time

Harrel and Sharon Luckey- Peas Porridge

The Bar-Kays- Sang and dance

And as for favorites that I don't yet have, but would love to purchase or trade for (hint, hint)

Bob Azzam- rain, rain, go away

Les Demerle- a day in the life

The Honeydrippers- impeach the president

Les Baxter- hoggin' machine

Sly and The Family Stone- Family Affair