DETROIT GRAFFITI

Issac Brock

that may be true but flics capture the moment and one day your shit wont be there, but yull still have the flic. Yes i agree, looking at graffiti in person is nothing like looking at it in a picture. I do beleive theres a time when the older cats that arnt around anymore just need to vanish but there rememberance will always be in our hearts. take it how you want i mean no disrespect.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 42.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DSD666

• GLEN BENTON

• wickedwacko!

• LEEZYONE

arnt there flics of some old ass harp and game peices? hmmm, im pretty sure there is, so who gives a fuck what happens to those. I know i dont. now kosek on the other hand is a different story pure detroit legend handsdown. id rather see those running for the next couple centurys.

Given your logic, your Koseks could go under just as easy as Harp and Game. If everyone played favorites with history, we'd have nothing left but pictures, and pictures fail in comparison to seeing the preservation of a spot in a current thriving vandal community. There's literally an infinite amount of space in this city you can paint without fear of the legal ramifications, and so to just blow over shit out of laziness or carelessness is toy. Supporting those ideas guarantees you'll be upset as I am in the future.

That particular spot has changed a lot, its a shame.

One of my favorite Dibs Iowa spots was gone over on Warren...now its a La Sham.

Ugh.

Oh, and kids, back up your files on an external hard drive.

Edit: I remember Reft showing me a shit ton of flicks from back in the day, but he also told me of much more he could have if his computer hadn't exploded.

woah! red was that double post aimed my way? as someone who's been around long enough to have seen new Harps

pieces, i personally wouldn''t go over them. but there are a lot of young kids who would. and they're the little fuckers out there all the time working. i doubt i'm ill informed, but you would think that of yourself i'm sure. as for ass beatings, that's why i don't go over pieces. no, actually, i don't because i wouldn't want someone to go over me. there's always cats that carry heat or boxcutters, though, and who the fuck wants to get done in over a wall? i like when you all tell everyone to quit painting. it makes me giggle!

Oh, and kids, back up your files on an external hard drive.

Edit: I remember Reft showing me a shit ton of flicks from back in the day, but he also told me of much more he could have if his computer hadn't exploded.

THIS.

dsd i believe you just had a similar incident...? so yeah. i photobucket them, and i'm contemplating the purchase of an external HD. JUST in case.

and... i kno ether's right that cats get ultraviolent sometimes over spots...that just blows my mind. there def are PLENTY o spots out there we don't gotta fight over them...

edit: sorry meant ether not wacko. oops.

i don't think going over super old faded shit is the *most* retarded things, however, i think that red's got a point. if no one's gone over it in this many years, then it's prob for a reason. i won't ever go over something that's faded, no matter what. especially if i know it's someone epic and not worthy of it. i think there's somethin pretty awesome about those flicks i take where it's a piece so faded you can barely read it, and then you can just make out dibs or iowa or beta or [fill in the name of someone awesome here].

now - what is the take on going over someone who's been dissed to hell and back? i mean, what if it's a decent piece but some jagoff splashed paint all over it or dissed it out or otherwise made it ugly to look at? leave it or go over it? what's the thought?

well....if its something epic..or something painted by someone who has universal respect amongst the graff scene....then leave it alone..even if it is dissed. unless you cant even read it. otherwise...if something is dissed...and the person who painted the spot in the first place doesnt get off their ass and fix it ...then go over it.

^^^ I think it was intended for the idiots who think it's ok to just roll over old graff such as the game and harp just because it's faded and old...intended for people with no clue as to the history or significance of these older writers...could be wrong but that's what I gathered from it

nail on the head....

well....if its something epic..or something painted by someone who has universal respect amongst the graff scene....then leave it alone..even if it is dissed. unless you cant even read it. otherwise...if something is dissed...and the person who painted the spot in the first place doesnt get off their ass and fix it ...then go over it.

i can agree with that. well said.

arnt there flics of some old ass harp and game peices? hmmm, im pretty sure there is, so who gives a fuck what happens to those. I know i dont. now kosek on the other hand is a different story pure detroit legend handsdown. id rather see those running for the next couple centurys.

that sir...would be your opinion. fact of the matter is. game/harp/justo are our forefathers of our scene. youre my hommie and all..but pump the breaks. you gotta do more work to have weight to that opinion. the whole point of graffiti is to get up and for it to last. we are lucky enough to live in a city where shit can last. so why not cherish the fact that we can still see the history of our scene still running. most cats in other cities only have stories and memories of old spots from old school cats from their scene. appreciate your history. because you wont know where you going ...if you dont know where you came from.

I think a good rule if you're just starting out or haven't been in the game long enough to know an in-depth history of writers here is this - DON'T GO OVER ANYONE..... especially if it's faded. Does it seem odd that the piece is left alone in its current state of fadedness and nobody else painted there but everywhere around it? There's probably a reason for that. If you've never heard of them before, it doesn't always mean that they aren't worth leaving to see another day. You can't just give yourself the benefit of the doubt and believe that your toy ass knows everyone that matters or who really came before you. Chances are there are a nice handful of pieces out there floating around from oldschool cats that you never heard of and we as a community would much rather see those continue hanging around than be covered up by your toy garbage..... I mean you're really not impressing anyone with your badass graff skillz(which was likely your intention in the first place). Instead you're just showing how much of a dumbass you are and how little you know about the history of those that perfected this craft long before you even though it was cool.

Also... If a piece is dissed out or fucked up and you haven't been painting for long or have a good rep for yourself it might not be a good idea to just go ahead and take that spot because of the fact that it was dissed out. In that particular scenario it makes it look as though you were the one that dissed it out or fucked it up just so you could come back later and say hey it was dissed out and take the spot. Just let it ride... especially if you can still make out what it says. Chances are that person will eventually come back and fix their spot anyway and if not then oh well. There are a million places to paint in this city.

Ignorance is a sad sad thing, kids. Don't let yourself fall victim to it.

even if somthing is diss'd dont go over it? what? :lol: if somthing is diss'd you better bet your ass im goin over it. and im not tryin to sit around and wait for somone to fix up there peice. thats just silly dude. i find it funny how thers cats talkin about youngsters not have'n respect for the legends. Dont be rediculous. the kids with no ambition or talent yes but the youngsters who are dope and putting in work, bump.

woah! red was that double post aimed my way? as someone who's been around long enough to have seen new Harps

pieces, i personally wouldn''t go over them. but there are a lot of young kids who would. and they're the little fuckers out there all the time working. i doubt i'm ill informed, but you would think that of yourself i'm sure. as for ass beatings, that's why i don't go over pieces. no, actually, i don't because i wouldn't want someone to go over me. there's always cats that carry heat or boxcutters, though, and who the fuck wants to get done in over a wall? i like when you all tell everyone to quit painting. it makes me giggle!

i want speaking of birth age..but how much time "you" have invested in the detroit scene. what i meant by your comment being illinformed is the fact that in most other big cities, what you said is true. shit not running for long is a fact. thats just the nature of the beast. however..that doesnt really apply to detroit because shit can and WILL run for as long as people allow it to. esp. in a super cutty spot like the new center yard. why would i think of myself as illinformed? considering i do have history(limited) with the first wave of writers in this city...i would say in full confidence that my opinions on the in's and out's of the detroit scene are rather informed. by the way....there was no hostility directed your way.

again..i may look like dj drama..but i am far from the drama king!

even if somthing is diss'd dont go over it? what? :lol: if somthing is diss'd you better bet your ass im goin over it. and im not tryin to sit around and wait for somone to fix up there peice. thats just silly dude. i find it funny how thers cats talkin about youngsters not have'n respect for the legends. Dont be rediculous. the kids with no ambition or talent yes but the youngsters who are dope and putting in work, bump.

first of all..lets be real. you "bump" pretty much everything thats posted in this thread. more specificly on the subject of shit being dissed. im not at all salty that you went over my piece at the secret spot. thats another story. however. if you saw a justo burner from 95 that had a line through it in a chill spot..you would go over it? if so...you are playing yourself. the reason why I said that alot of young cats dont have respect for the older writers..is because 99% of them dont know the history. not to mention are more than likely painting for all the wrong reasons. i have never fronted on the young cats who are making it happen. ie. YOU! ha.

what would you guys think if someone reworked an old, faded piece? refilling, lining, so it might last longer? just curious, if i had a faded tattoo, i'd get it reworked. it might be the only way something stays up.

only if that person is/was in your crew...or its someone you know well and/or painted with.

im sure if you had a faded tattoo ..you would probably want the original artist to fix it up.

that sir...would be your opinion. fact of the matter is. game/harp/justo are our forefathers of our scene. youre my hommie and all..but pump the breaks. you gotta do more work to have weight to that opinion. the whole point of graffiti is to get up and for it to last. we are lucky enough to live in a city where shit can last. so why not cherish the fact that we can still see the history of our scene still running. most cats in other cities only have stories and memories of old spots from old school cats from their scene. appreciate your history. because you wont know where you going ...if you dont know where you came from.

dude i got mad repsect for the old cats such as justo,harp,game aswell as you and anyone else whos been painting longer than me. well peeps with talent that is lol. Anyways i apoligize if im comeing off as a huge dick. aaand im pretty sure im up to date with my "graffiti history". i may be young but i know alot more than you think.

And yes to an extent i guess your right about old peices running for years n years i beleive in yards is one thing, but seeing street sides that are old as fuck and decrodeing away is just a shame.

hahaha i didnt notice that was a harp behind that kene. ill agree huge toy move. it wouldent be as much as a stupid move if that wall was roll'd out and had somthing dope on it. And no i wouldnt go over a justo with a little ass line through it. if it had some bullshit writing pretty much covering it yes i can say i would. oh yeah i put as much work in as i can, if not the most out of some. So dont hate, appreciate.:cool:

Hey look I'm a raysist (sic) honky, radiologist stop talking. Everytime you post everyone else on here is dumber for the decision. Your inane comments and horrible spelling and grammar are decreasing my sperm count and I feel a polyp developing on my rectum. All from you sir.

Post when you A. have flicks or B. become literate.