Babirusa

WhiteOx

I'm currently studying Balinese tooth filing and the reverse occlusion of animals teeth in Balinese art for some shitty exam tomorrow and came accross the piglike Babirusa..

The piglike Babirusa:

babirusa_kopie.jpg

Babirusa_male_.jpg

babirusa.jpg

Those upper canine teeth poke through its snout. Why wasn't I aware of this beautiful animal until now?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

BORED

The babirusa's most dramatic physical features are its tusks. The upper canines of males never enter the mouth cavity but rather grow upward, pierce through the top of the snout and curve backward toward the forehead. They may reach a length of 30 cm. In females, the upper canines are small or absent. These tusks are brittle and loose in their sockets, apparently useless as offensive weapons, but they may help to shield the face while the daggerlike lower tusks are used in fighting. There is also evidence that on some islands these tusks are used to interlock and hold an opponent's tusks, and on other islands they are used for butting.

source

looks like he cant open his mouth much or he'll poke himself in the forehead.

this guy is so suposed to be extinct.

makes me wonder what other kind of wacky screw ups mother nature has made that didn't make the cut.

well... dinosaurs and mastadons and things like that.

but there must be some cool ones we don't know about.

i wonder if there was ever an animal that had 3 legs. not like an accident. but it was built to have 3 legs. like a stool. that would be funny.

-stoolisaurus goose

Originally posted by WhiteOx@Jun 30 2005, 05:07 AM

Your right, despite the good looks of those tusk things I dont see what the fuck they could do. They curve inwards so he couldnt even gank any rival Babirusa with them and they poke through his snout which must be quite unpleasant

maybe they teeth bash each other in ram-fashion?

that would be pretty interesting to watch