Figure drawing (nudity)

sabe2005

good work fellas,,,,wish my camera didnt shit the bed cause i wanna post some work...but ya.....i have some advice...you guys need to think of the figure as an element in the piece. how is the space activated.. are spending as much time in the "negative" space as you are on the figure...ok ok ok....its sort of like this. take for example a hoffman square painting. every piece has a significant importance to makin the compostion and feeling of the painting work.. this is true even in hyper realist painting.. its not the clearity of the piece. its how the eye is tricked into traveling over the space..where you enter and leave. if at all............also its not aboutmaking a realist stle or certain style...the style of the piece is the result of the endeavor....when i paint draw ect, i have no preconcieved notice of what it is goin to look like..sort of an abstract expressionist train of thought...im gonna see if i can dig up some examples of what im talkin about on the net

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just wanted to add that spacial activation doesnt mean the piece has to have a flat qualtiy(shallow space) such as those two pieces have... they can have depth and be more "realized(realistic)" interpitations and still hold an interesting composition....basically you have to ask yourself, what do i want my pieces to do? what ami saying through these formal elements? how do they feel? (feelings haha) but ya..i also understand most of these are studys so to speak.. even then i think space should be reconized but short hand drawings are usefull as well....ok im done puttin in my 2 cents...bottom line. good work ..just some thoughts of mine

I like the lemurs.

I know a girl who has done that modelling stuff. She is a former drug addict with the worst tattoos in the world. Like, EASILY myspace picture post top 3 bad. I wonder what people think of that.

I think we have to organize a car wash so we can get the tats removed before her kid can figure out what they are.

They're really that bad.

Omen, what are those done with exactly? I'm sure the MF Doom was done in a computer program (pre-scanned?) and the portrait of the girl you posted previously was.. it looked like Illustrator too. But i'm not really sure.

Sabe, nice stuff as usual.

edit*

Oh, I forgot to ask why are those so blurry Omen?

you should check out the local natural history museum if you want to get a good look at animals. granted all the animals are stuffed and posed by people who dont really understand how to make them balanced and natural looking, they usually have an amazing selection of animals and you can usually fix the contra pasto in your sketch. just an idea, harvard has a great one if your in the area

depends on how long youve got. i generally start out with a 2 line flow drawing and 2 ovals, one for the ribcage one for the pelvis. if you can get those to work correctly its just connecting the major masses. i wouldnt bother trying to find contour until youve got everything generalized and flowing.

Sabe2005

BUCKFUSH

MESTHREE

I love your work, really good.

My favs are sabe's and buck's portraits... awsome

and mesthree I love your dog!

anyhow, I've been trying to use acrylics myself, really amateur still, lots of problems with my colors, this thread is motivational to try harder haha

thanks for the kind words man. i never really used acryllics, i did back in high school a few times and couldnt stand how fast they dried. oils are more expensive but theyre alot more flexible and can take up to 2 days to dry, which gives you time to rework them. it helps to have a teacher to show you how to use and manipulate them. draw as much as you can from life and learn art history and youll be on your way.

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH@Mar 2 2006, 09:08 PM

thanks for the kind words man. i never really used acryllics, i did back in high school a few times and couldnt stand how fast they dried. oils are more expensive but theyre alot more flexible and can take up to 2 days to dry, which gives you time to rework them. it helps to have a teacher to show you how to use and manipulate them. draw as much as you can from life and learn art history and youll be on your way.

hey man I appreciate the suggestions, honestly I need to draw more like you said, I have been slacking a bit... I guess I've just been trying to move on to painting from drawing and drawing, acrylics just happened to be there, probably will try oils as soon as I get some things down... again this thread is great to get motivated.... but yeah practice is everything... thanks...

anyone got any links on color theory?? that seems to be my biggest setback...

KT08-

Not bad, working on rotating those scans is something to think about. Your right about the difficulty with short poses, forces you to get out of that comfort zone of building slowly. I would focus more on flat vaule shapes before going into contour lines, I think it will help simplify everything and help your proportions out.

Keep posting your work.

BUCK FUSH-

I'd love to see a in progress type thing on here. Do dat shit!

cantinflas-

Thanks a lot! Lots of talent here. I'd say about the acrylic, I have used very little of it but am going to expereiement with em soon. I would suggest maybe watercolour before you use acrylic, it will build your confidence by using more flexable medium before the fast decisions you need to make when using more plastic medium.

Lets see some scans?

Oh, I got my first solo show on the 10th of March. It'll be figure drawings/paintings, and comic art. I'm excited but nervous, also I have over 20 more pieces to frame in six days!