Books: Everybody Get Your Read On

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the end of the earth is no longer some distant concept for us to conveniently dispose of our own imperfections or those around us, it is something we are contending with as almost an entity unto itself now, much how corporations have all the rights of citizens in the US. Which is quite frightening if you think about it.

Oh yeah I'm reading some books. What are they?

"The Next Fifty Years" is one of them....

i've read a lot of great books recently, so i'll probably be back next time i see this thread to put a bigger list together...but one that i just thought of is "Rookie Cop: Deep Undercover in the Jewish Defense League"

be back with that top five list, or maybe just some more suggestions later.

so... fter letting the advance copy sit on the shelf, for what a year and a half, I finally read the Da Vinci Code... This isn't a book that will change your life but as far as page turning excitement it's the best book I've read in the last while. I'm nearly ashamed to say it now that it's all mega popular but, for 'best seller' fluff it's pretty well done.

You should realize that I read over 400 books last year (books = 300 plus pages), and, of course, I have strange tastes but, from the last year (the books are published at random dates), I would recommend:

Imanishi Investigates - Seicho Matsumoto

*Anything from the Grypstra series* by - Janwillem Van De Wetering (finished 3 in the series this year and a few last year, great stuff!)

Smilla's Sense of Snow - Peter Hoeg (Fabulous and compelling!)

Dark Star - Alan Furst (all the Furst stuff is SO REAL for this sort of 'historical fiction')

Kingdom of Shadows - Alan Furst

Berlin Noir - Phillip Kerr (also incredibly written historical fiction)

Scaredy Cat - Mark Billingham

Let It Bleed - Ian Rankin (WOW!)

Little Yellow Dog - Walter Mosely (PLEASE READ ALL THE OTHERS BEFORE THIS ONE, look for the Easy Rawlins series... this is the among the last ones but DAMN are these books GREAT!)

((beyond entertainment, this is the for real literature))

damn, there are SO many others, I don't read 'shit'... I'll have to check my notes and come back w/ more...

• 1 month later...

Re: BOOKS/READING!

ok you know how every now and then your friends that dont write get you a corny as fuck graffiti book full of crap?

well this girl from my school got me this book

the faith of graffiti by kurbansky shits ill matic

Large.jpg

she grabbed it for me at some antique book store for 10$ 1974 1st print

and this shit i got in the 10$ bin at some used books store

cotterell1.jpg

yep

right now I'm in the middle of a short story (yeah, I can't believe I set it down either but time and events conspired to demand my attention... anyway) called Reading for Survival by John D. McDonald...

and I just got handed an unpublished manuscript that I'll read tonight, god willing...

Guest Ginger Bread Man

that a million little pieces book is str8 twisted.

look into wicked as well its wildn out

sophies world

big bad wolf

rose madder

0375724834.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hey, I got this when it came out and have already passed it off to people, I thought it was really well written and funny. I laughed out loud at least once as I remember (it's been a fw years now)... in the broadest terms, if you liked this you might like Janwillem van de Wetering (helluva handle there...)

yeah, even Hunter had a hard time reading naked luch... with no naked and no lunch... the rumor is Burroughs wrote the book and stacked the manuscript then cut it in half and threw the pieces in the air... the finished product is what they picked up.

ok you know how every now and then your friends that dont write get you a corny as fuck graffiti book full of crap?

well this girl from my school got me this book

the faith of graffiti by kurbansky shits ill matic

she grabbed it for me at some antique book store for 10$ 1974 1st print

and this shit i got in the 10$ bin at some used books store

cotterell1.jpg

yep

dooood, i have that same book. what mythology nerds we are.

there's a million stories about that book. the most basic being something like:

he shot his wife in the head while playing william tell, fled the country, lived in a hut, did h, ate acid, gobbled mushrooms and scribbled notes. when it was time for him to leave he collected the notes and gave them to ginsberg and co. they *sorta* organized them and had it published.

burroughs always said writing would always be inferior to painting because of the formalities: a painter can either render a skyline or go completely abstract and never have to explain themselves, people will appreaciate it either way. authors have to worry about punctuation, format, grammar, plot, setting, theme, spelling. naked lunch was saying fuck that and just letting it all flow out.

you're supposed to be able to pick up the book and read it from any given point.