Books: Everybody Get Your Read On

H. Lecter

Lullaby is one of the craziest books I ever read. A close second is The Dirt, which is an autobiography of Motley Crue. That book is full of the most entertaining, shocking, and unbelievable stories you will ever hear.

Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem is one of my new favorites. It's about a kid growing up in Brooklyn in the 70s and 80s, and it talks about the early days of punk, hip-hop, graffiti, and all of this other awesome shit he saw develop as he grew up. Really well researched and well written. And its by the dude who wrote Motherless Brooklyn, which I'm just starting but everyone raves about.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by ASER1NE@Aug 3 2005, 09:08 PM

This is the whole series:

The Celestine Prophecy

The Tenth Insight

The Celestine Vision

The Secret of Shambala

I've read them all and they're all worth reading to me.

isn't there one you're forgetting?

possibly not in the series, but a folllow up type thing?

i keep forgetting.

Originally posted by Skag Henry@Aug 1 2005, 08:55 PM

has anyone read nov york? i want that book!

Excellent book. Novurkistan is great as well. I just finished "Angry Black White Boy". If you enjoy either of Nov's books chances are you would enjoy ABWB as well.

Macon Detornay is a suburban white boy possessed and politicized by black culture, and filled with rage toward white America. After moving to New York City for college, Macon begins robbing white passengers in his taxicab, setting off a manhunt for the black man presumed to be committing the crimes. When his true identity is revealed, Macon finds himself to be a celebrity and makes use of the spotlight to hold forth on the evils and invisibility of whiteness. Soon he launches the Race Traitor Project, a stress-addled collective that attracts guilty liberals, wannabe gangstas, and bandwagon riders from all over the country to participate in a Day of Apology — a day set aside for white people to make amends for four hundred years of oppression. The Day of Apology pushes New York City over the edge into an epic riot, forcing Macon to confront the depth of his own commitment to the struggle.

Peopled with all manner of race pimps and players, Angry Black White Boy

I really need a new book. I'll probably just start on Behold a Pale Horse.

imageDB_cgi.jpeg.67f17846517f61e07016595d715dca9c.jpeg

Originally posted by villain@Aug 3 2005, 04:31 PM

So I expect my friend to hand me a copy of the sequel to The Celestine Prophecy and instead he hands me this:

I kinda feel about David Icke how I feel about Alex Jones. Some of it is really, really good.... and some of it is like.... wtf?

One thing is for sure, it will be entertaining.

Some of his "research" seems good and thorough and then sometimes you get some shit that sounds completely made up. Not a bad read though.

Originally posted by casekonly+Aug 17 2005, 03:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (casekonly - Aug 17 2005, 03:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ASER1NE@Aug 3 2005, 09:08 PM

This is the whole series:

The Celestine Prophecy

The Tenth Insight

The Celestine Vision

The Secret of Shambala

I've read them all and they're all worth reading to me.

isn't there one you're forgetting?

possibly not in the series, but a folllow up type thing?

i keep forgetting.

[/b]

Yeah theres a few more 'related' books but they dont follow the series. They are like workbooks and/or life guides for hardcore fans. Theyre not worth your time/money .

This site Celestine Prophecy will clear things up for you but those four books are the ones you want .

Originally posted by villain@Aug 4 2005, 12:31 AM

So I expect my friend to hand me a copy of the sequel to The Celestine Prophecy and instead he hands me this:

0953881016.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I kinda feel about David Icke how I feel about Alex Jones. Some of it is really, really good.... and some of it is like.... wtf?

One thing is for sure, it will be entertaining.

Is this a non-fiction cultural studies type of book? What's it about?

Originally posted by H. Lecter@Aug 20 2005, 06:13 PM

^ You seen that after dude shot him self in the head,

his wish was to have his ashes shot out of a cannon???

Sick fuck~ that's some bugged out shit.

if your implying i didnt know about him until he shot himself, no, i knew him before that...if your asking if i saw him after he was dead, no..and yes, his funeral is private and being secured off in a 3 block radius. i plan on buying a telescope to watch from new york.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks+Aug 21 2005, 12:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ElectricitySucks - Aug 21 2005, 12:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-H. Lecter@Aug 20 2005, 06:13 PM

^ You seen that after dude shot him self in the head,

his wish was to have his ashes shot out of a cannon???

Sick fuck~ that's some bugged out shit.

if your implying i didnt know about him until he shot himself, no, i knew him before that...if your asking if i saw him after he was dead, no..and yes, his funeral is private and being secured off in a 3 block radius. i plan on buying a telescope to watch from new york.

[/b]

I was thrown by his sentence structure as well. I think he just meant to ask if you knew about his funeral.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Aug 20 2005, 03:23 PM

Is this a non-fiction cultural studies type of book? What's it about?

It's just some bullshit way wacked out conspiracy theory dog. Probably about 50% fact, 50% fiction. From what I've read so far it's like the historical accounts of Anacalypsis put in reverse, with some aliens and reptilians thrown in the mix. I don't know if I'm gonna finish this one. Anacalypsis is a much better book. Read that instead.... :)

That Christ Clone Trilogy looks crazy... lol So that's the false prophet huh?

I've been sleeping on this thread way too long. Current reading lists for my students:

Paul Auster City of Glass

James M. Cain The Postman Always Rings Twice

Raymond Chandler The Big Sleep

Ernest Hemingway The Nick Adams Stories

James Baldwin Going to Meet the Man

Maxine Hong Kingston The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts

Sherman Alexie The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven

Bobbie Anne Mason Shilo and Other Stories

Dagoberto Gilb The Magic of Blood

Edward Jones Lost in the City

Too too many more to name right now. English majors unite.

*edit* forgot a few