***ATTENTION MERO***

duh-rye-won

To play devil's advocate, what about the inevitable possibility of some herb in Connecticut getting taken to school by Mero, then suing him for defamation of character or some shit? Is there any way to avoid legal issues like that? It will eventually happen if the humor is at someone else's expense, especially with all the tryhards out there.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, fuck. I can't remember the elements to libel or defamation of character or shit like that.

Basically:

Pure opinions, statements that do not imply facts capable of being true or false, are not actionable (people can't sue based on them).

Opinions which "imply an assertion of objective fact" are actionable. I'm assuming the majority of Mero's posts would fall into this category. Such as: this guy eats dick. Whether or not he eats dick is an assertion of objective fact - it can be proven one way or another.

I doubt anyone would sue, provided that Mero would take pictures down when requested. I.e., if the dude Mero said eats dick emails you, I'd take it down. And stick a link to a disclaimer somewhere on the site that the site is all satire and Mero does not insure the accurateness of any content on the site.

This isn't legal advice, I'm not a licensed attorney, blah blah blah.

ok..

I'm feeling domain names like whyyoumad.com, aintshitsweet.com, and really feeling http://www.askaboutme.com, dunno it has a ring to it...

personally, I think the site design should be unique enough to seperate it from the thousands of blogs out there and make an impression on the traffic that comes through (whether it be some hella lo-fi cracked out looking shit or something sleek and nice, who knows)

I think starting out small is best, you have a clearer vision of what you want to do and the growing pains aren't as intense, Mero (and possibly a mero sidekick?) could diss a host of celebrities, e-personalities, myspace toys, sluts, bimbo's, etc..don't know if it needs to be catorgorized or anything like that..just an assortment of characters to keep it interesting, as the readership grows the site could be updated accordingly, adding new features, ideas etc..spacing out the different features gives Mero and whoever else are the brains behind the operation enough time to come up with and refine new ideas that aren't corny or forced and will still bring back and readers and help draw new ones..

I think having advertising on the page is a good idea and probably the most promising one in regards to bringing in revenue from the site..

edit: unless y'all are bringin in real paper from this site, I doubt Mero has to worry about being sued...if mero puts out a DVD or something and is making some noticable loot from that, then I would worry

I dunno, just my two cents..

YO REALISTICALLY. I CAN DO HOROSCOPES AND ALL THAT BULLSHIT TO ADD DEPTH TO THE SITE, NAHMEAN? OF COURSE THE MAIN SHIT IS MAKING HERBS SUICIDAL...I AINT EXPECTING TO MAKE MAD GUAC OFF THIS SHIT ANYWAY (YET!) BUT HOPEFULLY SHIT WILL HAPPEN. CUZ I JUST ATE FARINA FOR BREAKFAST AND IM GONNA EAT FARINA AGAIN FOR LUNCH. I NEED TO GET PAID JUHEARD?!

MERO!

ASK ABOUT ME

DOT COM DOT ORG

i vote for "askaboutme.com"

this shit is gonna be just like lunch time in high school, but without the referrals

also, there should be a history, or archive on the site of past instances of mero blazin niggas. like "in the beginning...

my bitch foul, she knew i had the shotty on me, still called squally on me

Originally posted by MEROJUANA@Jun 3 2005, 08:39 AM

YO REALISTICALLY. I CAN DO HOROSCOPES AND ALL THAT BULLSHIT TO ADD DEPTH TO THE SITE, NAHMEAN? OF COURSE THE MAIN SHIT IS MAKING HERBS SUICIDAL...I AINT EXPECTING TO MAKE MAD GUAC OFF THIS SHIT ANYWAY (YET!) BUT HOPEFULLY SHIT WILL HAPPEN. CUZ I JUST ATE FARINA FOR BREAKFAST AND IM GONNA EAT FARINA AGAIN FOR LUNCH. I NEED TO GET PAID JUHEARD?!

MERO!

ASK ABOUT ME

DOT COM DOT ORG

yeah i remember you had an "advice column" thread a while back. you could have that on the site and have people e-mail you needing dating advice and shit and you respond on the website.

and have a section with random ramblings, like the shit about the fetal pigs trying out for the dallas cowboys.

Goddamn.. I drop off the board for a day and shit goes batty. Anyway, iquit, mam, pmb, meroe, whoever the fuck's going to help this materialize:

I can definately help out with whatever... writing, organizing, yadda yadda.

I should have access to some free server space.. if you guys are dead serious about this I'll look into it. Hosting the shit wouldn't be cheap but I'm pretty sure my employer has some space that'll never be used and they've mentioned allowing me access in the past. Obviously someone would still have to pay to register the domain name but that's next to nothing like Angelina Jolie standing by Screech Powers at a photo shoot.

I know HTML, SHTML, .ASP and some flash, too.. I'm not spectacular at design or anything though so count me out on graphics.

Anyway, I'm sure this shit could happen.. there's plenty of horrible sites/blogs out there that get advertising loot. If it's something catchy like 'YOUMAD' or 'IGOTFOOD.ORG' all the better:

The domain name needs to be something you can scribble in a bathroom stall at a bar or on the side of the freeway and actually have people remember it by the time they get home and plop their drunk asses in their computer chairs.

Blah blah blah, get this motherfucker famous. Like mams said, I'm pretty busy so I can't offer to build all of anything but I'll help out where I can.

HEY MEROE, LOOOOK AT THEY FAAACESSS!

BR.MLB.

BIEN!

Originally posted by Old Growth@Jun 3 2005, 06:40 AM

To play devil's advocate, what about the inevitable possibility of some herb in Connecticut getting taken to school by Mero, then suing him for defamation of character or some shit? Is there any way to avoid legal issues like that? It will eventually happen if the humor is at someone else's expense, especially with all the tryhards out there.

Yeah about that... Let's say Mero makes fun of some person with a real real low self esteem and is undergoing months/years of depression. Then someone gets a hold of her picture and Mero just clowns on her. Then she hangs herself. What to do now?

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Jun 3 2005, 12:32 PM

The domain name needs to be something you can scribble in a bathroom stall at a bar or on the side of the freeway and actually have people remember it by the time they get home and plop their drunk asses in their computer chairs.

:haha:

So true.

"Axeaboutme" seems most catchy.

Hope this shit works out.

Guest beardo

also, shit would be extra funny if mero had his own pic up on there too, in all fairness, so everyone else could rag on him.

Guest KING OF HELL

i think the reason i like MEROJUANA.com is because its a tie in and tribute to where it all started. here. its his identity here. its like we spawned the monster and now he's unleashed on the public. those poor bastards.

Yeah about that... Let's say Mero makes fun of some person with a real real low self esteem and is undergoing months/years of depression. Then someone gets a hold of her picture and Mero just clowns on her. Then she hangs herself. What to do now?

post a flick and tell her to stop swingin from the gods nutsack... dead bitches get no love too!!!!

I don't think you'd get sued. You'd get threats, but not sued. Like Mams said, "Cliff Yablonski" from SomethingAwful hasn't gotten sued. SA itself posts the most vile shit about people, and gets letters threatening to sue and then publically posts them and says even worse shit and they're still going.