Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dick Quickwood

Plate X

Originally posted by ARCEL+May 23 2005, 02:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ARCEL - May 23 2005, 02:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bentone@May 20 2005, 02:53 PM

Sounds cool. I saw some nice new canadian national boxcars the other day. They are also excess height. Does anyone know what "plate c" and "plate f" mean that are painted on the side of boxcars? Sorry if I got off the topic a bit.

i believe it signifies the width

[/b]

while checking out the pics of the new boxcars, i noticed two different plate designations had the same width listed, which means i was wrong. what does plate really mean?

i think itmight signify whatkind of metal the cart is made of so train loaders can what type of shit to put in whattype of cart

just maybe

?

Physical dimensions

The physical dimensions of a car are important to its loading and operation.

Plate markings indicate whether a car’s extreme outside dimensions falls within a standard cross-section — a useful thing to know when restricted clearances are involved. Standard car cross-section drawings, or plates, are designated Plates B, C, E, and F. If a car's dimensions are entirely within Plate B (the smallest), no marking is shown. For cars fitting within Plate C, E, or F, a square with the appropriate marking is shown. A car whose dimensions exceed a given plate will display a circle marked, to use a common example, EXCEEDS PLATE C.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this