The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

if you actually grew up in detroit other than the coleman ledges this is/was the spot. one of my first memories of skateboarding was seeing this tall ass lanky whiteboy blunting the pyramid ledge, before they were rounded out and worthless. I almost got arrested once, and they crept on us, and it was my mouth that got us into the shit. red you would know, late hot summer nights, crackheads fucking everywhere, anyway 2 fiends were sucking each other off , and the cops somehow ignored to see them completely because they wanted us. I talked mad shit and we got cuffed, but they let us go eventually. mid to late 90's, detroit was mad slept on as far as an amazing city to skate. red you remember a kid named chris ivory? I believe was his name?

ivory is the man. i first met that kid skating the bump that use to be in front of cobo hall before they repaved it. i just remember dude busting an effortless tre flip over a big construction cone.... dude is dope...and a really nice guy. i think he lives in new york now and makes music.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I guess we can agree to dis-agree then. I have yet to see some kid who skates wear some shit and be like damn I want to go get that (whatever it may be). All I see is them bite hard as shit on swank culture ever since Nike got into the picture. I guess we can only reminisce on when it didn't matter what color your flannels and rolled up beanie were.

I guess we can agree to dis-agree then. I have yet to see some kid who skates wear some shit and be like damn I want to go get that (whatever it may be). All I see is them bite hard as shit on swank culture ever since Nike got into the picture. I guess we can only reminisce on when it didn't matter what color your flannels and rolled up beanie were.

based from your words you sound....

a. hella young

b. unfamiliar with skateboard history and culture.

if both of these were not true...then you would be aware that the skateboard community is one of the most diverse out there. skateboarders come from ALL walks of life. the only reason why your favorite rapper's favorite rapper dresses the way that he does is because of skateboarding culture.

do i think skinny jeans are fresh....no.

did skateboarders start rockin that look first....yes.

do you see cats in the hood rockin them with shoes with vulcanized soles....yes.

i will take it a step further....back in the rave days....ravers started rockin fat pants because skaters were rockin fat pants...more specifically jeans made by Blind. a skateboard company.

just to keep it funky with you.... how many non skateboarders do you see rockin skate shoes?

do the math.

based from your words you sound....

a. hella young

b. unfamiliar with skateboard history and culture.

if both of these were not true...then you would be aware that the skateboard community is one of the most diverse out there. skateboarders come from ALL walks of life. the only reason why your favorite rapper's favorite rapper dresses the way that he does is because of skateboarding culture.

do i think skinny jeans are fresh....no.

did skateboarders start rockin that look first....yes.

do you see cats in the hood rockin them with shoes with vulcanized soles....yes.

i will take it a step further....back in the rave days....ravers started rockin fat pants because skaters were rockin fat pants...more specifically jeans made by Blind. a skateboard company.

just to keep it funky with you.... how many non skateboarders do you see rockin skate shoes?

do the math.

Im not saying that the skateboard community isnt diverse at all. That's not even what this is about. To save forum space..all I was saying is that ever since the early/mid 2000s when skateboarding went super main-stream skateboarders have started to look like a bunch of queers. not all..but most. no worries dude we just see shit differently. and in the hood with skinny jeans...well here in DC..non

i understand that cats in the hood arnt rockin super skinny jeans...but still skinny jeans by hood standards.

DC you say???

hmmm....ever heard of a rapper named WALE who reps DC to the fullest?

SUPREME JACKET

goi_wale_3.jpg

LRG (who has a skateboard team)

wale-lrg_ad.jpg

NIKE SB "TIFFANY" DUNKS

thehundreds_walecraze_3.jpg

NIKE SB "UNLUCKY" DUNK

wale1.jpg

HUF HAT(CLEARLY STANDING IN A SKATE SHOP)

wale1.jpg

seems to me like dudes whole image(like most current rappers) is influenced by SKATEBOARD CULTURE.

All I see is them bite hard as shit on swank culture ever since Nike got into the picture.

Oh Wait ... I think I see some Jordan 1's circa 1987 in skateboarding.

Long before SB, Nike was working into the culture.

Brittain-Animal-Chin-Handplants-copy.jpg

Stylists who work for companies that push pop culture look to skating to find trends.

In the 90's skaters had a level one look to the bulk of them ... baggy jeans little wheels.

Today you see all walks ... from Hesh to Fresh ...and everything in between.

Shit is lame as fuck to argue about unless you are a super insecure little kid with shit to prove.

One last thing:

zlcshut.jpg&w=163&h=160

/Oldmanoner

• Like 1

I'm fatter , older at 33 and wear the same camouflage shorts & Independent shirt with Van's Old School's or SK8 HI's as I did when I was 13..I don't give a fuck , even though some kids look fucking confused & ridiculous I just keep my mouth shut .

:cool:

word....i agree with everyone....i wasnt trying to argue or debate the current climate of "skater fashion" i was just trying to figure out where dude was coming from with some of his statements.

and yes....i agree...wale is a fag-a-tron.

and bump this pic of sheffy...dude made me feel more comfortable being a halfrican skater who is a giant. haha

sean-sheffy.jpg

hes like my doppelganger....hahahhaa

I'm fatter , older at 33 and wear the same camouflage shorts & Independent shirt with Van's Old School's or SK8 HI's as I did when I was 13..I don't give a fuck , even though some kids look fucking confused & ridiculous I just keep my mouth shut .

:cool:

Shit ... I'm thinner at 35 than I was at 30 and skating better than I ever have.

However I am a (self imposed) victim of following trends ... I cant claim that I didnt wear that goofy 90's gear. Still hide some BOB shirts in a storage bin.

After working at KR3W I have begun wearing way more fitted cuts (not tight, but modern).

Side note -- Dork status!!!

Got to the park last Sunday morning ... Figgy was there ripping it up, most kids were sitting to watch ... I used the freed up space and had a ball, after Figgy left some little kid asked who I was sponsored by. I am still super stoked on that almost a week later.

modern = tight

U A TPWF

Guilty ... but I don't give a fuck.

I am a 34 & wear 36, with a boot cut bottom ... I really see the TPWF as tight at the ankle.

Plus 2% spandex is the best thing to happen to skate gear in years !!!

My shit looks like the kid on the Left ... not the kid on the Right.

414390170_e82b32d7b8.jpg