The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

That toy machine video was insanity. What was that like 1996?

There was a maple video that came out around that time that was terribly underrated.

I remember I found a copy of 411 volume 1 in some bicycle shop back in 96'. I wigged out and bought it. It was like 90 minutes long and was pretty entertaining.

Featured a contest at the brooklyn banks with kids going nuts. there was a scene of them hopping up on a moving bus and hitting it up.

Damn what else came out back then...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah jamie Thomas is infuckingsane. That Toy Machine video is savage. Ramp building used to be fun. We built a 4 foot miniramp with a 5 foot extention and a flatbank in the middle. It was massive. Nearly 24 feet across if i remember correctly. There are mad skate parks in metro Detroit. Nothing in Detroit. Detroit sucks for everything but there is alot to write on. Hard to find origional spots these days but still tons of shit. I found a huge abandoned factory yesterday that has yet to be touched. It probably runs a half a mile deep. Its hard to find a good origional spot. You can always get some sloppy seconds but i likem fresh.

Whats that mall called in LA where the origional vans Skatepark is located? I hate the skate park these days. I'm 22 and i dont want to get hurt. No medical insurance. I go to the park and theres all these 12 year olds ripping and i feel like such a punk

I hate Vans parks too. I got banned from the one in my area the only time I went cause I refused to wear pads. It was mad fun getting chased around the park by the 40 year old soccer-mom manager ignoring her screaming at me and just skating like she wasn't even there... Till the cops showed up. :haha:

Originally posted by isor357@May 11 2005, 04:36 AM

yeah no shit. I float a kickflip over a pyramid ramp and im stoked then some little shithead goes and switch hardflips the same pyramid right after me twice as savagely. It almost makes me want to beat the youth

Yo I get just as heated!!! I see that shit and think about how I've been skating longer than they been alive and I wanna just punch them out and take their board or something. :haha:

yeah the groms have balls and a lot of tricks,

but they have no style....yet,

plus kids like Ryan Sheckler will have the worst bones once they hit like 16,

if they dont take it easy on the huge gaps and stairs...

when rodney, tony hawk, and all those OG's were skating at the same age...

nollie flip to crooks down a 20 set, then switch hard flip off the side of a building wasnt what they were used to...

which is why they are still skating past the age of 30.

Originally posted by Manifesto@May 11 2005, 04:47 AM

nollie flip to crooks down a 20 set, then switch hard flip off the side of a building wasnt what they were used to...

No doubt. I'm already debilitated. It's weird cause I can only skate half descent switch now. I used to be goofy-foot now I'm regular. I can barely ollie my normal stance these days yet I can switch noseslide rails and shit. :yuck:

Originally posted by im not witty@May 11 2005, 04:58 AM

im wearing an H STREET shirt right now. holler.

Hokus Pokus was the shit when it came out! My second real deck was the Matt Hensley with the dude spinnin around the pole. I broke my wrist on that board.

Originally posted by SF1+May 11 2005, 12:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SF1 - May 11 2005, 12:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Manifesto@May 11 2005, 04:47 AM

No doubt. I'm already debilitated. It's weird cause I can only skate half descent switch now. I used to be goofy-foot now I'm regular. I can barely ollie my normal stance these days yet I can switch noseslide rails and shit. :yuck:

[/b]

for me its stamina.

i used to be able to skate from 8am to 3am...fuel by 99c BK menu and free refills.

now im lucky if i can get a good hour of skating...

I was watching "wheels of fire" and "streets of fire" the other day, and came to the conclusion that part of the reason the little kids rip is what they have in front of them. They watch new videos and want to emulate them ... I watch them and shake my head at what I see as sheer madness. We had to invent new things and didn’t have that much to work with. Go back and watch animal chin ... it was a different world.

Any super old schoolers in here ... pre-double tail boards??

Remember sessioning on a curb for hours ... busting Ollies down 10 stairs was super bonkers. A kick flip was mad effort due to the shape of the board.

To expand on this thread.... How about we list your favorite movies in timeline order and the most revolutionary trick from each one??

Originally posted by Manifesto@May 11 2005, 02:39 PM

for me its stamina.

i used to be able to skate from 8am to 3am...fuel by 99c BK menu and free refills.

Ha,ha, no doubt! That shit was a full-time obsession. 99 cent Whoppers was the daily diet.

I'm lucky to get in an hour at a time too. Probably cause I hardly ever skate anymore. I'm too old for this shit. :yuck:

Originally posted by Manifesto@May 11 2005, 02:39 PM

for me its stamina.

I have been running on the regular to try to get my stamina back up just for skating. Old men trying to hold it down.

back in the day we used to hide a Del Taco cup in Sears for the group of skaters and load up on $0.49 tacos and burritos .... fuck you guys are bringing me back to this shit.

i used to be able to pop a full size rubbermaid trashcan off flat ground ... these days i would be lucky to get an ollie over knee high. so feel better knowing you can still get on a board ...

i see all these young dads at the parks talking to the little kids like "did you see that movie Dog Town and Zboys ... I skated back then" to me its like fuck i stared about 5/6 years after that era and i still get on a board fucker, if you want to re-live those glory days get back on a board and stop the story telling.

Guest im not witty

videos, in no particular order.

hokus pokus/shackle me not

video days

welcome to hell

man down/tilt mode/

black cat is a maple video thats quite underated

static II is completely sick

pj lads wonderful horrible

i even really enjoi boston massacre. much different vibe.

anything with drehobl in it.

i could go on.

and yes i date back to pre double tailed boards.

shralpin since 87. hollaholla.

for all the skate fiends, this is where i spent my sunday (some of you may recognise this place from skate mags)

DSC06777.jpg

wallride

DSC06778.jpg

banks & hips, hips & banks

DSC06779.jpg

banks as far as the eye can see

DSC06781.jpg

launch yo shit

DSC06782.jpg

water gap & big bank

DSC06783.jpg

you got the balls to roll in off this puppy (i know i don't)