Krylon Rustoleum

whoneedsavet

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by whoneedsavet@May 1 2005, 05:43 AM

Im from the UK and hardly ever see Krylon and never see Rusto. What are they like compared to Montana and Belton, over hear its mainly montana and belton for graffers but some people are using Monster colors. Is Krylon as good as other spray paint?

Hi.RUSTO covers more than KRYLON.KRYLON has more dope colors than RUSTO.You have the best paint for GRAFF so you aint missing nothing from the U.S.A.

Like dude said^^ you have the best paint already. With krylon and rustoleum youre not missing out on much. Krylon does come in dope colors, but it tends to run alot, rustoleum is good, great for bombing, good coverage, but your limited on the colors if youre into pieces and shit. You can get good shit done but if you want wild styles and shit forget it. Thats why rustos are primarily used for bombing throwups and the like.

Originally posted by whoneedsavet@May 1 2005, 04:43 AM

Im from the UK and hardly ever see Krylon and never see Rusto. What are they like compared to Montana and Belton, over hear its mainly montana and belton for graffers but some people are using Monster colors. Is Krylon as good as other spray paint?

beer can says

what they said

Originally posted by whoneedsavet@May 2 2005, 01:52 PM

Its nearly impossible to rack paint in the uk. We have to buy it all and its expencive. I can get about 7 400ml montanas for £20 or something around that not that cheap.If i buy off the net 30 pound. Too much

better than paying five pound a can from Homebase or B+Q innit tho mate.

Originally posted by whoneedsavet@May 2 2005, 01:52 PM

Its nearly impossible to rack paint in the uk. We have to buy it all and its expencive. I can get about 7 400ml montanas for £20 or something around that not that cheap.If i buy off the net 30 pound. Too much

shit talk. racking aint shit if you know what youre doing. fool.

Originally posted by whoneedsavet@May 2 2005, 02:27 PM

fool you try racking from brixton when the shop owner is the leader of a HUGE crew an out side is about 50 mans that try robbing you.

in america u rack from stores with no metal detectors etc (well at least i think u do?)...

in england the only paint thats worth stealing is sold by people who would run u out of town if so much as a cap left there stores.

brixton hq for example...

^^^ insane! that's a fucking joke. Don't buy that... I heard that in spain, the (spanish) montana colors were under 3 euros. I guess it's expensive to export... or they're selling you the german brand that always seems to have a slightly higher bullshitting factor involved.

I'd really stick with krylon. 7 bucks is costly...

but hey all you euro kids! these montanas are a new thing too. people in europe have painted with alot of other paint before montana.

there's

-belton RAL

-belton hit color

-belton molotow is new too

-sparvar is danish

-multona is german (i think)

-every local brand with the correct cap system (worse is just as good for bombing)

-etc

-etc

and it's always a nice experience trying out weird brands... montana has a very limited color chart and you can usually find the same colors from your local hall of fame in every other piece. shit's boring (aside that you don't need so much fill color every time ;) ). When trying out crappier cans, think of it as a blast from the past, you know... all the old school heads started out with that shit. And personally I am very interested in krylon. it's like the legendary brand, the logo etc. From what I've collected you just have to learn the good colors with decent opacity and go from there.

As a land of $$$ and bussiness etc, I wonder why there's no high quality american spray paint brand designed for graffiti... Selling it a buck cheaper than euro paint would be a good market I think.

there are already many threads on spray paint.

anyway.

krylon is watery and not what it used to be

rusto is excellent except for some of the darker colors aren't great (like Navy)

they also make a brand called American Accents

great paint colors, all matte

the new Green Apple is comparable to euro paint in coverage, consistency, and tone

and they make Painter's Touch

more primary type colors, also all gloss

but some of them are butter, like Spa Blue and Berry Pink, which in my opinion rival euro paint.

these ARE high quality american paints.

rusto flat white and black are just as good as euro paint.

Valspar has got some great colors, but some of it is on the watery side.

European paint has it's drawbacks too.

some montana has to be shaken for EVER to get it to not clump and shit

and some of that belton is on the watery side i think.

just thought i would give an australian point of view. you can get most brands of paint over here but if you cant rack then you get used to paying up big time. not sure of conversion rates but all prices are approximate and in aussie dollars.................

euro paints-

molotow= $15

montana= $15

pro line= $13

ral= $13

cant get rustos (that i know of) but standard krylons are $10 whilst accents (if you can find em) are about $15, this is a pretty standard price for a whole range of other paints (that you wouldnt bother getting due to cost vs quality) including plasti-cote and some aussie brands, some paint can get up to the $17-$20 mark

there are two aussie brands that get used alot, dulux which has a few different ranges but the one that gets used most has a very limited range of colours, most of which are crap. generally you are looking at flat black, sky blue, galaxy blue, gold or chrome (as far as the decent quality colours go) and you generally pay around $6-$7 for it (if your lucky you can pick up the chrome for $4)

then there is the new stuff made by writers, ironlak, which is generally pretty ordinary (changes colours as you use it, and some of the colours are weak as piss) but you are looking at around $7-$8.

these are all the paints that will take caps that you would bother buying (im open to corrections on this), there is other stuff, but you would only get it if you can rack it, the cost just aint worth it.

we do have access to cheaper paints aswell though, so for around $2-$3 you can pick up an export or five star, however alot of it is shithouse. the other thing about this is that they do not take caps, they are male tins and they have a fan spray nozzle or chisel cap as we call them. so the stock cap debate is almost redundant there, sure you can still do outlines if you want to, but it takes serious practice to get a uniform line with a chisel tip, and they tend to be runny as hell.

thats enough ranting from me, im sure theres more on this to be said, but whatever

peace

oh yeah, and in my town theres a whole bunch of kids getting into the game thinking they are immediately kings crossing out and capping burners with a couple of racked tins of chisel paint and zero letter structure, chisel fill, chisel outline, chisel background, chisel keyline (aura, whatever), chisel highlights..............

Originally posted by pinto beans@May 4 2005, 10:28 AM

just thought i would give an australian point of view. you can get most brands of paint over here but if you cant rack then you get used to paying up big time. not sure of conversion rates but all prices are approximate and in aussie dollars.................

euro paints-

molotow= $15

montana= $15

pro line= $13

ral= $13

Yep those prices do vary around australia too.

Originally posted by caffeine@May 3 2005, 12:42 AM

Where I'm from its costs around 7 bucks a damn can.

Same here, and from what I heard from this one cat, they get the paint for like 2 or 3 bucks..They buy in large bulks doe..I've done a few murals/canvases for a couple people, so whatever paint I have left I get to keep...I only use that Good Expensive paint to Stamp or highlite my pieces..It hurts to use a fuken $7 dollar can to fill and next thing you know a fuken toy came and dissed your shit with sum walmart dollar cans..I seen it before..I Love the colors they have though..So much power to you if you work and spend $50 or more worth of paint every week..I stick with Krylon, Rusto and those other cans that Symbols pointed out..Buy one get 4 Free..

krylon in the classic era of graffiti was made by a company called borden. in 1991 the brand was bought by sherwin williams and has been continually been watered down. the krylon of the 80's was pretty dope but the stuff today is very thin and dripy.

rusto is the thickest paint around, better than montana in the thickness dept. when you factor in all the color ranges -stops rust- satin decor colors- american accents- painters touch - industrial use and so on the color range is pretty good. the real problems with rusto compared to euro paint are 1) it takes for ever to dry, so lots of cutting over the same spot will cause runs, and 2) most importantly the valve sytem on the can sucks balls. only a few caps will work on it and the spray paterns you get are rough and not very fat. that's the real killer with rusto. if rusto paint came in a can with a better valve system, it would be much, much more usable and there would be a lot less demand for the euro paint. i'm sure you noticed that most american graffiti has let sharp, crisp lines than euro graffiti. thats the shitty rutoleum valve system in effect. rusto cans also are hard to mix and skip a lot when they are close to being empty.

Originally posted by master bait@May 3 2005, 09:28 AM

and it's always a nice experience trying out weird brands... montana has a very limited color chart and you can usually find the same colors from your local hall of fame in every other piece. shit's boring (aside that you don't need so much fill color every time ;) ). When trying out crappier cans, think of it as a blast from the past, you know... all the old school heads started out with that shit. And personally I am very interested in krylon. it's like the legendary brand, the logo etc. From what I've collected you just have to learn the good colors with decent opacity and go from there.

Montana has a limited color palette? Shit man, that's funny. I think they have more colors than all the major american paint brands combined. Krylon's color list got a little better in the past couple years, but all the new colors are pretty thin, and not worth using. Rusto just added a couple really hot colors, and their secondary paint lines have some great stuff. I don't think it compares to what's available in europe, though. You guys have all these crazy bright tones, while most of our paint is designed for utilitarian purposes.

The whole thing about old Borden Krylon beng thicker is a load of crap to me. I use plenty of old cans, and it's really not much different. I can agree that Krylon's quality has taken a nosedive in the past couple years, but Ultra Flat Black from a couple years ago is the same as it was back in the paper label days. Burnt Orange, Harvest Gold, any yellow, orange, most of the greens, they're all watery. The one color that was thick as hell was Teal Blue. That's about it.

Krylon is only bad on surfaces that are absorbent in some way, more porous concrete, wood, etc... It works fine on metal and well finished stone & concrete, and brick. Of course, it drips more on the surfaces it works better on, some colours work better than others, nothing uncontrollable.

I didn't generally use Rusto until recently but I like it, does need to be shaken more and is much thicker. Up until late last year, it was the most expensive paint around here at about $4.00US a can. Now it's down to $3.25 standard, and I picked up about 10 cans on sale about a month ago at about $2.20 a can for the painter's touch. $2.00-$2.50 are standard prices on Krylon depending on the store and time of year. I can't believe some of the prices quoted above, that would kill me.

Pfft everybody forgets the colorvision. Here montana is 8$ a can. I don't have that kind of money expecialy cause I mainly do peices. I find colorvision is nice and thick, and has a fairly dope selection of colors. So I use that. Rustoleum is my all time favorite for bombing, that shit lasts.

Guest sneak

i always get astounded when i hear of paint prices in austrailia. $15 a can??

how much is that in £sterling?

people go on all the time about montana and beltons being sick, and granted they are. but they too have colours which are shite, watery etc. just like every brand, but the difference is its still good paint just crap compared to the better colours of the range etc..

ive always found some belton yellows to be very gay...

There are about say a thousend different paint brands in europe. Remember europe is not a country, its a continent with diffrent countries wich are as diffrent from each other as italy is to canada. And every country has its own brands. The best non graffiti specific paint though comes from germany(like everything else!) or more specific the peter kwasny company, wich has made some off the most exelent paint in the world like belton(and later grafitti specific molotow brand), auto-k and multona.

One thing though that i think is the same all over europe, and that is the price point of the paint, we dont have one or two dollar paint. multona and such is very expensive almost 10dollars in an gasstation. wich means most of it is behind bars or the counter, or has been since the early 80s anyway.

The euro graff scene is bigger than the american, maybe this is because the more urban enviroments in europe..or what ever, i dont know...but the fact is there has been a huge market for anyone who could deliver paint for a ca 3dollar price point...this is probably the reason that there are alot of new graffiti specific paint.

Americans dont need this since they have dollar chrome and great 2-3 dollar color in major crosscountry stores.

I haven't really compared montana colors to any other brand color charts, but since the spanish brand is what people mostly use around here, you see lots of same colors around. I think german brand has better colors but then again from my experience, the paint isn't as good. it just costs more.

Anyway I've never tried Krylon, so I guess it's even worse over there.

I remember I heard about some american paint brand made by "writers" a while ago. I cant remember the name but they seemed to have a similiar thing going on as the molotow and montana... thick paint, lots of colors etc. I wonder what happened to that.

Clash is a nice paint to use, really thick. Round here The best black is stoneguard hycote proper thick and the caps they come with are sweet for outlines.

Id really like to try rustoleum just because i dunno it holds some kind of coolness with me, probably because ja and sacer use it and they are my all time favourite bombers, which is weird because im english....

Id just like to see how my throws or tags would look like with american paint.

the american writer paint is called blubber colors (i think) they have a website and all. last time i checked they had about six colours (maybe four?). it was around $4us a can, but since that would equate to about the same as beltons here in oz i didnt really bother chasing it up