Painting clean

HAL

Guest sneak
Originally posted by Old Growth@Apr 30 2005, 10:57 PM

Here's the fix-up of that bottom part. I overshot again, this time it was a mistake, so I have to go back and fix it.

[attachmentid=13393]

After fixing it back up with the fill.

[attachmentid=13394]

the flicks from here on wards dont work for me.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree that people need to learn on their own.  I don't see how a little instruction is going to hurt.  Maybe kids will be more inclined to get out and paint if they feel they have a little direction.  If anything maybe it'll improve the learning curve and I can learn a little something myself in a couple years.

see thats the problem with the internet i mean people deicide to have a go and try graffiti out for themselves with no guidence from someone who has been doing it awhile....(i was lucky my brother started me off)but not everyone gets to meet people who do graffiti and they see is some pictures on the net and i think i can do that easy.....but then figure out there more to it than just a spray can and a sketch and who they gona ask someone who there findout has been doing it awhile by word of mouth and go ask him...99% chance he'll tell the kid to F off,we need more people willing to show how to learn these basic skills,yer people back in the day learnt this for themselves but now you guys have the knowledge to teach others and graffitit feeds off itslef anyway..may aswell help it along.............

to an extent you gotta learn shit for yourself, i mean you cant jump on the net and all of a sudden have the dopest can control etc. matrix style. but i think theres too many kids coming out with no decent mentors, and they end up being 'into graff' for five seconds and think they can rack a couple of cheap tins and do unplanned pieces of crap over full burner productions, or bomb all over the work of other writers who have paid their dues.

we got this problem in our town where theres a whole range of newbs coming out of the woodwork without having touched a piece of paper to sketch on and capping pieces just because 'thats what graffiti is'.

im all for kids having to get their own ideas about more advanced techniques and all, but if you can sling em the basics and school em on the basic 'rules' then we will all be better off in the long run and wont have to look at all the hideous pieces with no theory and no structure

yeah, people do complain alot around here. i've been writing for a long time, and had no one around to teach me when i started out.

i had to learn alot on my own, and did alot of shit backwards...that's a big problem with beginning young and having no writers in the town.

i don't see any problem with people sharing on the internet. wish i would have had advice like this when i started out...besides, there's still a ton to learn for people starting out, i don't think one or two threads on teks is gonna make any kid want to go out and do anything but practice....let's hope they go practice on plywood or something and stay out of the more experienced heads way....

I think I might start a separate thread for that. That would be interesting...

The Internet:Should it be used as a tool for learning?

But that whole arguement is pretty much beaten time and time again. It's sooooooooooooooooo 2002. Let me think about this... Anyway, Old Growth, do what you do best. ;)

Originally posted by Aven@May 9 2005, 08:41 AM

dude...this is a sweet thread for all the toys out there that have only been writing like 1 year and a half...(me included) ...its been really helpful

it should be helpful to all, even the experienced...just to see someone elses techniques makes me feel like i should re-evaluate myself in some aspects.

Very cool thread. I'm not sure if this is the right place if not then mods are free to delete / move my post.

The way this was done made me wonder if there isn't a quicker way to finish the piece. If we're talking illegal graff here.

So what would be the way to build up a piece? For me the logical and fastest way would be this:

Sketch up the piece first

Fill in background

Fill in the letters

do shadows / 3d

do the outline

do the highlights

What I was wondering here was that the background was done so late in the piece, that if I was doing that at a dark spot I think I would go over my filling? But this was of course just an example to "Paint clean" so that's why it might've been done in a reversed order?

Either way id like to hear you guys oppinion about how to "build" a piece, in order to have the least amount of detail editing, and also how to finish it the fastest?

personally for me, I hate "sketching" I try to laydown my initial outline as smooth as possible, other wise I feel like i get a fuzzy outline.

Try to do your "sketch" as if you were doing the outline of your piece, smooth full lines. Breaking down the letters into sections or bars (if your letters can be broken into bars).

It just comes out crisper and helps you get a better feel for the letter.

Guest sneak

im with glik0. try and get them 1st outlines on the wall clean. its a bitch to work out whats what if you have loads of different lines confusing you.

in terms of structuring a piece, this is how i do:

-sketch

-main fill

-background

-outline and 3d (if both same colours)

-double outline (aka forcefield, shell)

-highlights

-cut backs on highlights, outlines etc;.

yeah, this is the first good thread in here in a long time. gives me a good feeling about 12oz when i see stuff like this.

gliko and sneak: were you both taught to do the no sketch thing? the way i learned is sketch first, etc. it just stuck, i guess. been that way for 13 years.

Originally posted by Entro123@May 14 2005, 08:26 AM

The way this was done made me wonder if there isn't a quicker way to finish the piece. If we're talking illegal graff here.

If you're painting illegally, then some things will be different. What I posted originally was done in a chill, legal context to show how it's done from my perspective and level of skill. To some degree, all of what I posted can be applied to any sort of graffiti. It's up to you as a writer to set a limit on how much you're willing to do, and how long you want to be painting a given spot. If you're going to do highways, then i wouldn't personally be making everything razor sharp. It's not necessary for the context, since detail won't be noticed. If you want it to be perfectly crisp, go for it. It's up to the individual.

One big structural mistake I seem to make a lot is I will do the first bar of my letter, then the second, then the third, then when I have an outline of that letter, I start to fill it in, as opposed to doing my whole sketch and filling in. It has been the catalyst of many mistakes but for some reason it's a hard habit to break.

you can cut your outline with your 3-d but you cant cut your 3-d with your outline that well with out fucking your fill

get me

but if you can put your 3-d in clean then doing the outline after the 3-d makes sense

i hope that makes sense to some of you?

it all revolves around what cuts you can make sometimes you gotta go in reverse to get thin lines

If you're painting in near darkness, it helps quite a bit to do the first outline in white or something close to it. I screwed up a couple of pieces on freights a little bit because I tried to paint the "sketch" in a neutral color that was too close in tone to the color of the train.

I usually just sketch in my primary fill color already, but if I'm doing something more complicated I also use white color for the sketch. I find it more easier to locate where I need to put everything in afterwards.

Its interesting how alot of people here are painting in what I'd think as "backwards". I always was more a sketch, fill, outline, 3-D, effects, clean-ups last.. kind of guy. Hardly do I ever deviate from that order. Guess its time to break old habits and try something new.

Originally posted by caffeine@May 19 2005, 01:43 AM

I usually just sketch in my primary fill color already, but if I'm doing something more complicated I also use white color for the sketch. I find it more easier to locate where I need to put everything in afterwards.

Its interesting how alot of people here are painting in what I'd think as "backwards". I always was more a sketch, fill, outline, 3-D, effects, clean-ups last.. kind of guy. Hardly do I ever deviate from that order. Guess its time to break old habits and try something new.

Wouldn't it be better to outline after the 3-d and effects? or else youd have a lot of clean-ups at the end with your 3-d and effects overlapping your outline or dusting your outline so it's not crisp? And clean-ups is a waste of time imo, when the object is to get it right the first time in order to save time no?

Originally posted by Entro123+May 19 2005, 09:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Entro123 - May 19 2005, 09:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-caffeine@May 19 2005, 01:43 AM

Wouldn't it be better to outline after the 3-d and effects? or else youd have a lot of clean-ups at the end with your 3-d and effects overlapping your outline or dusting your outline so it's not crisp? And clean-ups is a waste of time imo, when the object is to get it right the first time in order to save time no?

[/b]

like i said before, it's like asking 10 grandmas their recipe for making chicken soup. every single one is gonna turn out chicken soup, but they will all taste different.

Originally posted by casekonly+May 21 2005, 06:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (casekonly - May 21 2005, 06:03 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Entro123@May 19 2005, 09:01 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-caffeine@May 19 2005, 01:43 AM

I usually just sketch in my primary fill color already, but if I'm doing something more complicated I also use white color for the sketch.  I find it more easier to locate where I need to put everything in afterwards. 

Its interesting how alot of people here are painting in what I'd think as "backwards".  I always was more a sketch, fill, outline, 3-D, effects, clean-ups last.. kind of guy.  Hardly do I ever deviate from that order.  Guess its time to break old habits and try something new.

like i said before, it's like asking 10 grandmas their recipe for making chicken soup. every single one is gonna turn out chicken soup, but they will all taste different.

[/b]

So you cant ask for recipes anymore? Yes they will all taste different, but personally id like to try them all to find out which ones is the best for me. :)

Guest sneak
Originally posted by casekonly@May 16 2005, 03:32 AM

yeah, this is the first good thread in here in a long time. gives me a good feeling about 12oz when i see stuff like this.

gliko and sneak: were you both taught to do the no sketch thing? the way i learned is sketch first, etc. it just stuck, i guess. been that way for 13 years.

hmm.

originally i was talking as if i was doing a simple letter illegal ting.

but yeh, if i am doing a complicated outline in a chilled spot i probably would spend more time on it.

if thats what your sayin?

mmmm... this was a good thread and i meen i can see how u guys are talking about "learnin on ur own" and thats true but to some extent. i meen a thread like this is fine its just helpin out and givin some what of an idea of what to do. and for my second comment :D unless some one completely takes ur style and does it everywhere and doesnt change it at all thats biting but everything has evolved from something theres never anything completely different from something else no matter how good u are. to make something new there has to be something to make it out of. u catchin my drift? :D