PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY ARTICLE

Guest Comp Shoes

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Dusty Lipschitz

hahahaha

hesh, dont let this cat fool ya

i met up in BK with seeking, and he was strapped with a 6 inch rusty nail!!

i forgot about that... fools were sweating, i had no choice... i wanna come to this club as well... lets make ita whole big family affair...

yo nise... from your second home with love...

over thanksgiving break, i might be coming out there with some friends from school.. i'm looking to get some up over that ways...

i don't kno if you still running your game and all.. cuz you're missed here, but you should hit me up sometime.. i'll see ya around jigga

senater

AKA decoy,resk (old as hell stuff; from before i got arrested in '97)

Hey,

I saw the weekly article via a download handed to me, and I couldn't invest the time to read it it through. Rather than rail againist the redundancy of the facts put forth, remember that this is a stupid free paper that is always going to give a breezy account of the form. It has done it at least 3 times in the last decade. The Cornbread story goes in because it's compelling copy, Sub gets in because he's got a business, Suroc gets in because he's got some snappy quotes and a BMW, and was magnetizing to the lady journalist, so his photos, including the booming dasar, got the green light. (Careful not to sound jealous Nise, you only mentioned the terrible addition of this 90's writer a few times) There were Cornbread tags in limited supply behind the channel 12 building in West Philadelphia and a few spots around the projects nearby, where he kept a crib for a time, but they faded to near extinction, then finally buffed. He was admandant for at least 2and 1/2 decades to do nothing outdoors, but with his recent tag(s?), maybe he's relented a bit.

and for the jaded (I am solid jade, btw), comes this quote:

<<i like reading about graff in newspapers when their not talking about how much of a burden we are on the city. Its cool learning about the innovators of graff and what got them started.

~KRYLON2~>>

and that's what is good about the article. it's schooling a lot of people.

Finally, a bit of top secret knowlege that if you never heard before, you must promise to always remember you heard it here first: Pencil never fades. If you dont buff it, it will last indefinitely. I have seen tags 40 years old that looked a day (not names, but, "fuck joe klein", "Bill Loves Lucy"). I'm not a scientist, but I would point to the lead content in the pencil, and the fact that there is no pigment to fade. i got a good stash of just the right pencils for any occasion.

The orig. Kool Easy Artist, or KEA for short

Originally posted by saul goode

.... including the booming dasar, got the green light. (Careful not to sound jealous Nise, you only mentioned the terrible addition of this 90's writer a few times) ...

Finally, a bit of top secret knowlege that if you never heard before, you must promise to always remember you heard it here first: Pencil never fades. If you dont buff it, it will last indefinitely. I have seen tags 40 years old that looked a day (not names, but, "fuck joe klein", "Bill Loves Lucy"). I'm not a scientist, but I would point to the lead content in the pencil, and the fact that there is no pigment to fade. i got a good stash of just the right pencils for any occasion.

The orig. Kool Easy Artist, or KEA for short

hey s....well, i cant really say much if it came off like jealousy, so whats the point in backsliding....but for anyone that cares, its pretty ludicrous for me to be jelly of dasar....he brought me up in a lot of ways, and despite the usual scene shit-talking and gossip, he was actually a lot more supportive of unpopular heads (like myself, artz, damaja, cezer, and some others) than many of the big scensters of mid-late90s philly. so, if that counts for anything, i have no ill will towards dasar, my only point was that i get tired of shitty journalism. i understand its a pretty reclusive culture, but if you cant put together a coherant piece, why write it? if a features editor got handed this crap on another topic, they wouldve canned it. and the "freepaper" excuse is about as flimsy as the stock they print on...philly's two freebies are the preeminent source of non-mainstream info for most people in the city. you think the inky or DN is gonna write anything positve about scribble-scrabblers?? (in fact, from my short stint there, i believe they even have editorial policy preventing them from writing about graff using any postive terms like "streetart" or "wall-writer" instead of "crime" & "vandal" AND prevents them from running any photo on the cover where a tag gets airtime.......) philly weekly and the city paper cover all the club happenings, review all the music anyone gives a damn about, and generally prints professionally written and edited features. the staff is paid and paid fairly well actually, (relative to some "real tabloid" DN staffers)....so my point about including dasar is just that it adds to the whole inanity of the thing....i mean, whatever, its just an article, who cares, but while im speaking on it, it strikes me as crazy that an article on "where is conrbread now" (as the cover page reads in big print, which you might not have gotten on the net) features dasar flicks. i wouldve sounded the same alarm if nemel or liquid or agua or creep or any other deserving newjack was included...nemel guessed the same as you and said that nick prolly laced the reporter with a stack, and obviously the dasar is banging, so she ran it....but thats my point, it still shouldve been skipped in keeping with the theme of the article. but i digress, im prolly one of like 3 people in the danm city that even care to give the fuckin article this much lip service....so lets move on. but for the record, since words on the net even tend to resound in philly, dasar is the man, and i got nothing but love for him.

as for the pencil tags...i could agree to indoor come-ups, like the courthouse and the roundhouse have lots of old pen and pencils tags ive found...but the pencil tag in question is outside...you really think lead holds up to weather like that???

and finally, s, the KEA tag behind Belle Italia pizza in ardmore just got buffed last week...ran for hot minute though...even got some careers started back in the day (even if they ended up being jell on the internet and long winded to boot......)

peace.......

cee.neezy.

Guest THE LAW

unrelated to philly:

as long as pencil isn't rubbed off (by shoulders or greasy hands or whatever...it can last a very long time... on concrete especially.

In addition, THE LAW has seen worker's long division and monikers in pencil on freight dating back to 85.

Originally posted by THE LAW

unrelated to philly:

as long as pencil isn't rubbed off (by shoulders or greasy hands or whatever...it can last a very long time... on concrete especially.

In addition, THE LAW has seen worker's long division and monikers in pencil on freight dating back to 85.

hmmm....message recieved.

Guest Comp Shoes

I know as a writter its hard not to be critical of an article written about graffiti, but try to take a step back from all that. The article wasnt written for people that already know the history [i.e. writters], it was more for the 9 to 5ers who read the articles in that paper or people that have no idea about graffiti. That much was obvious in its content. I emailed the writter and she said the article was in no way meant to be a comprehensive look at the history of philly graff.

all i know is that my mom remembers seein cornbread. and thats how i ended up gettin the paper cuase she saw it read it through and brout it home. she liked it and thats from a non writer perspective.. but she did misunderstand some of the shit. but hey she doesnt write so whats the difference right???

Nise, dont refer to yourself as unpopular. even in the past tense. Its not a good look on you. I'm glad dasar gave you love back in the day. As a mid-to-late-90's scenester, I'd say that was mighty humble of him.For real though, Articles in Philly Weekly are just supposed to provide some hipster diversions between ads for hot M4M4BI4SWJF action, and you sound like "comic book guy on the Simpsons" for stressing it. Hahaha I kill myself. Really tho, Bella Italia sounds real good right now, and I'm bringing a pencil so if vandal squad is reading this I said deeeez nuuuts

EDon't hate the player, hate his game

s

word....comicbookguy and i share similar physiques as well, so its all the more fitting. thats why i got the NWA review issue of otg in sealed plastic in my humidor basement. dont front ima sell that shit in 2030 for hella loot.

on another note,speaking of NWA, what the hell are rappers gonna talk about now that everyone loves NY cops AND guliani? im thinkin booty bass music is poised to takeover....thats my word.

• 1 month later...
Guest lemon714

Me and Cornbread were chillin on the block talkin about old times just the other day.Things were so much different in the 70`s. I think were gonna go on route again for old times sake.

Nise just a made a fuckin novel outta this thread..... aint no way Imma read all that shit! Anyway, I bet it was a nice post nonetheless..... As for rap after Sept. 11th? I waiting for a buncha Arabs ta start rockin the mic spittin about the oppression against middle-easterners, while african-americans side with the same people they used to hate...... just my opinion...... GO OSAMA!!!!!

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Originally posted by harvey wallbanger@Jun 11 2005, 02:19 PM

Bump for an almost four year old thread...'cuz I think it's funny to see old shit like this. Nise is retired? Dasar is a new jack? Ansiq's a fag? This is quite a trip down memory lane. Also, the shit about pencil tags is some good knowledge to have.

good find

Guest Good Morning Captain

COMP SHOES IS RETIRED, AND SO AM I. WEIRD THAT THIS THREAD WAS BUMPED. I NEVEER COME HERE, IM DRUNK.

Archived