PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY ARTICLE

Guest Comp Shoes

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest THE LAW

pretty nice. the article lacked any kind of cohesion or conclusion, but THE LAW still learned a lot of stuff he didn't know before and saw some nice flicks. although, why'd they show pieces if the article was about tags?

can anyone date that conrail (suroc/) freight in the bottom left corner?

Originally posted by alkaline

That's a cool article.

They showed pieces because in the beginning of the article they state that tagging or doing prints originated in philadelphia. And after there were tags everywhere philly cats invented something bigger something more colorfull called pieceing. After that was refined for a couple of years some heads headed on the northbound i-95 and showed cats in newyork what time it was..werd.

Originally posted by THE LAW

pretty nice. the article lacked any kind of cohesion or conclusion, but THE LAW still learned a lot of stuff he didn't know before and saw some nice flicks. although, why'd they show pieces if the article was about tags?

can anyone date that conrail (suroc/) freight in the bottom left corner?

oops that last post was meant to be a quote from THELAW

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by EL MASKO

Ahh DASAR...But where's the DICKO...CENSE...and ever so mysterious, LEMON?

Dicko and Cense aren't from philly.

alright, here goes...i guess i always gotta run my big fat mouth on here, sooo skip ahead if you like:

first: the article sucks, just like almost every mainstream media take on graff (except for the rollingstone article on JA, which was incredible....), and heres why: graffiti is a pretty reclusive culture - a relatively small percent of the population think that it is anything more than scribble-scrabble. so, when you write an article, you can't presume any knowledge....not even that the reader knows the difference between "tag" and "piece". SO, EVERY SINGLE goddam articlle has to start with the "taki 183/cornbread" story and break down the "culture" for everyone....its like that movie "memento", we NEVER get past the foundational shit in any media exposure, cause we only get one story every two years or so, and when it comes, we gotta freshen up the city at large on who taki is again. my favorite is articles that mention that movie 'Turk 165' or whatever the number was.....if you compiled all the articles written on graff, youd think that goddam movie is like the bible or some shit!!! shit, ive never even seen that fuckin movie....

but ive digressed. this article doesnt really force feed the "history of graffiti" angle as much as others...but it was deeply misleading. it is pitched as a "where are they now" story of philly legends, and yes, 4 philly legends are interviewed....CORNBREAD, PRINK, SUROC and SUB...(if anyone can tell me why DASAR is included in an article about where writers form the 70 and 80s are today, please fill me in...) however, there is no "story" about what they are up to, or doing, or whatever.

the first section details a hiphop show at El Taller....no history. the second section RETELLS the SAME cornbread anecdote ("there was this girl...whom i wanted to DEAL wit...") we all know from the first OTG video. its not AS irrelevant, but it still tells us nothing about what cornbread is doing NOW. yet it makes up like 25% of the entire feature. huh? the 3rd section briefly tells us that SUB now owns a barber shop...the first sign, almost 2/3rds thru the thing, of what ANYONE is doin now. it constitutes one sentence. then it goes back to old storytelling....a really poorly edited story of prinks childhood. then , the 4th section gives us more history that any philadelphian writer already knows....the KAP libertybell incident, mayor goodes "no more mr. nice guy, no more mr.blint" campaign (although the author doesnt even mention that campaign slogan...why?) and a strange indictment of white writers by SOUL in the last paragraph. did ANYONE edit this piece? the final section, the best part and only real quality part, is SUROC breaking down some real knowledge....the deal with punkrock's presence in graff, the idea that graff goes hand in hand with HUSTLING, not hiphop (as all you emo racking heads know all too well...this is too true) but even this short insight doesnt let anyone know what suroc is really up to, what the graffiti of 1970s and 1980s phildelphia begat. it lays the foundation, introduces some great characters, then ends. and ends with some trite bullshit i might add.

i cant be mad at the woman who wrote it i guess, shes just the next lemming in a long line to write a half assed crack at our culture. i actually have to give her credit for not employing one of the classic titles such as "the writing's on the wall" for the piece. (hell even the well written RollingStone piece was embarassingly titled "mean streaks") but you have to ask why these things are written. they are eternally dissapointing for writers. and they really never enlighten the non-graff crowd to anything that hasnt been written a hundred times. and thats even assuming they READ it...most average joes hate graffiti, and an article about the "nostalgia" of it all would probably baffle them...sorta like an article about what all the old carthiefs in the 70s are up to. so why split the difference? pick a side and please them. if your writing to the informed, than dont preach to the choir...skip the "taki 183" snore fest and write something new, soemthing like all the debates that writers have about fr8s/walls or even bombing vs legals or the pros and cons of mediums like etchbath...thats an article id enjoy reading. but if you cant do that, if youre gonna write the "everyman's" piece, write it in a way that reaches that audience....this article does neither. for the uninformed, it presumes theyve even HEARD of suroc, or sub, and that the reader is supposed to understand that they are legends in some circles...it totally assumes that joe construction worker is gonna be like, oh yeah, what IS suroc up to??? and for the other side, the writers like me that scooped up the paper immediately after seeing "cornbread returns", it totally turns out to be a dud. another halfassed snapshot of shit we all already know that is edited horribly, organized horribly and embarassing almost.

i enjoyed reading the "savage love" column about horrible masturbation stories (on page 139) much more.

second: the fuckin pictures. the article features suroc, sub, prink, and cornbread. there are no prink pictures (excluding the photo OF him) and no sub (or RX) pictures. except the cover, there no cornbread photos. and, on the other hand, there are CREDIT, ESPO, BLINT, JAYC, AB63, and DAZER photos, yet they are not mentioned or described in the article at all. ????? 2 of the 3 LARGEST photos are by DASAR. he is not a writer from the 70s and 80s. i dont understand why theres any DASAR photos, but i guess if they do make sense, then why is only HE portrayed? i mean DASAR is well respected, but i hardly think any writer in philly would summarize philly's history as CORNBREAD--PRINK--SUROC--SUB--ESPO--DASAR. but hey, maybe thats me. KADISM, anyone? MB? KARAZ? ESTRO? etc.... if youre gonna include DASAR, what about PRAEZ? NOPE? MEAK? SAT? KAIR? etc?

all in all the whole article was a big cock tease cuz the only good thing about it as a fat front page photo of conrbread in front of a 2001 cornbread tag...30 years later he is STILL getting fame..thats the only worthwhile thing here. the whole inside feature smacks of this to me: some listings editor at PW hangs out at hip spots. meets writers. pitches idea to do cover story on graff, does 5 interviews, one with suroc, sub, prink, and cornbread. suroc drops knowledge, she relegates it to a few paragraphs. im sure sub had some shit to say, but that got cut. prink is promoting a video or something, so his part constitutes and ad basically, and cornbread really just wants his name on the front page. the 5th interview , im guessing, was with DASAR, who probably set up the contacts w/ suroc et. al. and explains why he's featured in article that has nothing to do with him. oh well....another bullshit drop in the bucket.

as for the posts already made....the LAW (as usual) hit it on the head....the articles sucks. its better than nothing, i guess, but maybe not. for whoever mentioned DICKO and CENSE....yeah, they arent from philly at all, but given the lack of cohesion in this article and the presence of DASAR pieces in an article about the 70s, it wouldnt surprise me if she HAD put DICKO and CENSE in there. no disrespect to them though....and finally, about the FR8 in the lower left hand corner, thats a DAZER fr8, an original ICY head from overbrook....the fr8 is most likely 1983-ish...and , in case you're doing the math, yes modern aerosol-type graff on frieght trains was ALSO started in philadelphia. AB63 and SUROC and DAZER wanted to paint subway trains like in NYC, but all that was in the neighborhood was some conrail flats they laid up on sidings of the R tracks...they painted them, oblivious to the fact that they traveled, and now, most fr8 buffs consider those some of the first ever done...(co flow mention "original fr8 hitter/AB 63" in their graff anthem LUNE TNS...and many fr8 heads have contacted suroc about his grandpa status, to which he told me responded "really?"...they had no idea what they started...)....anyways, i digress, this kinda info would actually make for good graff reading.....as opposed to the drivel for which we have all convened to discuss here.....

peace yall, my apologies to all you who suffer thru reading these long blowhard posts....what can i say, school is boring, im bored. so sue me.

nise should have wrote the article,it seemed hasitly done{even though its weekly,it seemed like work before lunchbreak]for example:it shows a guy with some nice converse on,with a can of paint,and it says something like"a completly unknown 80's grafitti writer sprays a wall in philadelphia"ummmmmm,thanks for the info philadelphia weekly,hats off to you and your inquisitive journalism

Originally posted by HESHIANDET

damn nise, i always like reading your posts.

see, each time i see one, i curse you for living, cause i know im gonna spend ten minutes reading the fucking thing word for word and that much reading hurts my eyes. im used to the short bursts of 'ansiqs a fag.'

i look forward to seeing some of this philly 'history' first hand... what'cha say hesh, you me an a search for original cornbread hands?

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by seeking innocence

thats fine. did i ever mention my class3 vest with removable trauma plate? motherfucker'll stop an AK round if it has to...

hahahaha

hesh, dont let this cat fool ya

i met up in BK with seeking, and he was strapped with a 6 inch rusty nail!!

re: all above comments

haha....yeah if only i had been as long-winded and/or prolific about DOING graff, right? oh well....this is my daily treat, forgive me for it. now that i quit i hardly ever get to have these convos with live humans...so all of you (and your squinting eyes) suffer....what the fuck, im going to hell anyway, right?

but anyway...as for the cornbread hunting, TRUST ME, thats a sport thats been done forever here, and its pretty fruitless. back in 97/98 we used to rack film 8 rolls at a time and spend entire satrudays and sundays hunting tags...we'd bring a few cans of black or silver and get up in DL spots during the day,and drive down every...i mean EVERY (like with a map, every) street in philly.this includes all of southwest...(many REDE SERU MES MEXE SEZME etc...) alllllll of west philly (our biggest interests were finding DANE tags, anything ICY, BAK (bad ass kevin) DAB (dead ass billy) tags,ESTRO shit,TAN,T-MAN,HOMOCIDE CLYDE, PREACH, ECHO,STEW RUTA, and so on....) north philly...(ehhh,too much too even bother listing but CHICAGO prints were always a goal...and i was pretty big fan of PROPER/PR ups) ...northwest...germantown,westoaklane,etc....(lots of DL flavor...some great old ENEM OMNE LILMAN tags if you can find em, plus lots of dl ATS stuff, SWAZA, SADE, SAGA,etc...)...south philly (CHINA, SF, AM, AB, CUBE,DA 5,CHAKA, etc...HOFFA,dls kids later) suburbs..(DEL IMPACT GAME KEA and so on...) northeast...(KRIME is one of my faves...but this is the least flicked area for my records...)....and so on and so on......phew....bottom line is: there are no more CORNBREAD tags, ANYWHERE. the real come-ups is gonna be finding late 80's stuff. unless you/re in the tunnels (and even then, theres not much pre-85-ish stuff.....but i DO recommend walking all the tunnels!!) as for the streets....the oldest weve ever found is some 79-80ish shit in crack alleys and shit that havent been touched by anything in 2 decades...but even then, its not big names like chewy or cornbread,it like some neighborhood shit from back then...cool, but not AS cool.....but still, hey, prove me worng...find that conrbread and i'll trade ya for dubs!!!

peace............................................

Guest Comp Shoes

couple days ago i stumbled upon some babyrock pencil tags outside this west philly barber shop, and saw an old sub tag on a construction dumpster in southwest.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

nise you mentioned him, and after reading the article and your, and others, critiques of it, i cant beleive noone mentioned ENEM.

shameshameshame

heres the thing though....lots of these old cats still write off and on...a PENCIL tag done OUTSIDE it most definitely NOT from 1982...either he did it recently (which would surprise me in west philly) or its someone else, or some one doing a babyrock tag....not to say its not flick-worthy, i guess, just that its not an orig, nahmean? and as for SUB...he still writes to this day, and everyonce in a while does his old SUB hands....also most likely a recently done one...some dumpsters have old shit--as in like early 90s....but most get repainted fairly regulary and none have shit from the 70's 80's....unless said dumpster is abandoned and in like the wood sor something....but im guess its not the story....

not tryna to be snotty, comp,just that me and a lot of philly kids (KEM LIQUID NEMEL et al) invest a lot of effort in this shit, and its not that simple.....

peace....

yo dusty....yeah, the whole thing sucks...i didnt want to get too personal , but it really smacks of someone in the scene boning some girl and getting her to do this article...but thats just specualtion. its crap.

on a lighter note...i just noticed you AESOP quote....you like the labordays? me and dever were just talkin about it on the phone last night...whether or not were diggin the whole thing. jurys still out for me....although i do love the "i twist characters like TWIST characters" line......been waiting years for someone to flip that!!

cee.neezy

Guest Comp Shoes

Keep investing. I love seeing this shit. My boy paper has a nice collection of oldschool prints. Everytime, he has to tell the story about how he got a flick of this Panther tag. I just see what I see. The sub tag looked real old, the babyrock, well it was a pencil tag so what can i say.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by niseNSF

yo dusty....yeah, the whole thing sucks...i didnt want to get too personal , but it really smacks of someone in the scene boning some girl and getting her to do this article...but thats just specualtion. its crap.

on a lighter note...i just noticed you AESOP quote....you like the labordays? me and dever were just talkin about it on the phone last night...whether or not were diggin the whole thing. jurys still out for me....although i do love the "i twist characters like TWIST characters" line......been waiting years for someone to flip that!!

cee.neezy

gimmee a nite and ill be @ the 700 club

we can duscuss further

and for the record, i think labordays in incredible. at times i think he sounds like the rockness monstah, from heltah skeltah, but im really diggin it

Archived