GASFACE UPDATE:

Pfffffffffft

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swizel

$2.28 Dallas, Tx

The government should give discounts to students. I mean shit I'm already paying $200 a class and another $150 for the books.

Best belive We'll Remember this when we are in power and all the old people want our help cause they burnt all their bridges when they had the chance to do things right.

Punkass Political-Spoils system.

Originally posted by fatalist@Aug 11 2005, 06:40 PM

Why is the gas rising? Someone please explain this to me so I can impress my friends.

villian any answers?

ps. i wish oil grew on trees

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR VILLAINMANMANMAN....

Well there are several factors contributing to the rise in gas prices. There has been much speculation that we have hit Hubberts Peak. That is when oil hits peak production and outstrips supply because there are no new major discoveries of oil and the major oil resevoirs we have drop to levels that require more work to extract the oil. So the cost of getting the oil eventually becomes less and less worth it.

Another reason why oil prices have spiked is because when we invaded Iraq we took about 20 million bpd (barrels per day) off the world market, that loss has to be made up somewhere.

Certainly all of the recent popularity of SUVs doesn't help either.

Another reason for the oil price spike is Chinas voracious appetite for oil is only growing. Chinas economy has been growing at about 20% per year for the last several years. There is no sign of this leveling off any time soon.

Saudi Arabia recently raised production levels about a month ago, there is not a whole lot more they can do. That country has been walking a tightrope since our deal we struck with them about 60 years ago promising the royals protection in exchange for oil. Apparently the US embassy in Saudi Arabia has been shut down because of threats and that has contributed to the price spike. Oil prices hit all time high of $64 per barrel on monday. This is even higher than the 1973 arab oil embargo (which happened, by the way, because of our support of Israels war) that is often used as a scapegoat for the current prices. Since the foundation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia it has held a precarious balance between pleasing the US and pleasing the Clerics of the Hanbalite school of Muhmmad ibn 'Abdul-Wahhab. Wahhabiyyah is the state religion. Hanbalite Islam is the most conservative form of Islam, so much so that it is quite alien to the average muslim. It is literally very medeval. They reject all forms of modernity.

"Over the last 50 years, Saudi Wahhabiyyah has been shaped by the Saudi head of ifta' (the council that issues religious edicts), 'Abdul-'Aziz bin Baz, who until his death in 1999 was the most powerful religious personality in the Kingdom. He epitomized the deal that is at the heart of the Saudi regime: he was willing to support the political sustenance of the Saudi royal family provided that he enjoy total independence in matters of education and religious propagation. Until shortly before his death, bin Baz was convinced that the earth was flat, disbelieved the news of the landing on the moon and even suspected conspiracies behind the propagation of such falsehoods. He banned shaving and cologne, and he prohibited music and singing. It is to this form of rule that we may trace the origins of the Taliban."

He also endorced the doctrine of anti-Shi'ism. Banned pictures and statues... etc. etc. Anyways, my point is that our largest supply of oil in the world is very, very politically unstable. The Royals are very modern, they endulge in "western decadence" quite literally, alcoholism, women etc. etc.... they support the US which in turn has supported Israels aggression in the Middle East for 60 years.... So basically we are getting our oil from a royal family who must allow preaching of hatred towards them. Fucked. As unstable as the region has become lately it wouldn't really surprise me if there was a coup, or at least an attempted coup in Saudi Arabia. Then we'd really be up shits creek.

That article I posted earlier also notes some oil refinery fires we've had recently which are not helping the situation at all. It mentions Texas and Pennsylvania. I also heard of a fire at a refinery in New Jersey within the last couple of days.

OPEC has also been trying to change the currency it is pinned to, dollars, because the value of the dollar has been plummeting. They have been trying to change it to Euros and we have been doing everything we can to stop them. I'm not sure but the value of the dollar may also have something to do with this.

There's probably more but those are the main things that I know of.

2.49$ regular in the atlanta area..

we can all thank the huge suv's, hummers, other bullshit gas guzzlers for the huge gas demand. I'm specifically talking about those who use these cars just to look coool, not for practical reasons..

*edit for being a retard..