Vacationland

oOsoupOo

Told, Why do you think older writers encourage new writers to work on their hand first? When OG's state you should work on having a solid hand first we are not stating that your hand needs to be as good as TWIST. But if a new writer learns a basic hand or gets a basic flow of his letters in a hand style first, he will become a better writer in the future.

Its like learning to ride a bike. at first you use a big weal (basic hand styles) then you move on to a real bike with training weals ( solid hand styles ) then your riding your bike and hitting jumps ( New mastered hand styles)

What is the very bases of Graffiti art? LETTERS. there for, one must understand ones letters at the basic level of handstyles before he can truly master his art. trust me. I would not be wasting my time writing this if i did not think it was worth sharing.

Now not every writer works on there hand as much as they should. but there is a proven formula for making one a outstanding writer and that is:

1 Hand styles.

2 Toss ups.

3 Strait letters.

4 Stamps.

5 Berners.

there is a lot that falls in between all of that, but thats the jist. I hope this is helpful, as that's all I'm trying to be.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Very valid points.. and I agree with alot of it. One thing is I personally have only pushed kids to have a decent to passable hand with some style or refrence before they crush with it and before they piece.. doesnt have to be ill, or the raddest thing ever. I would point to Vane and Koi they both have legible decent (nothing special hands) that will and are improving.. but you can tell they worked on them.. And I think YME/SFL all have decent, passable pretty run of the mill graffiti handsyles, some better than others.. but within Maine especially lets say 8-10 years ago, they besides some HBT guys were the Bencnmark in Portland, and I dont think that was a bad or hypocrytical thing. All crews have strong points and things that need work.. again great talk!

I give mad respect to Cevs, Turdl, Esko, Oniks, Vane, Koi..

and think writers like raket, main, and herby are on the right track...

The point that it takes years is the whole fucking idea! This aint a hobby its a lifestyle, you cant bomb for less than a year a be like "yo, I got madd ups" I think HEX crew is just jumping the gun a bit and seem a little fame hungry, they are gonna regret the shit out of their handstyles because they still are really bad! Not that I dont give them respect for being out their, but cmon guys lets work on some things at home first..and not piss on the whole city! My opinion is my opinion and, im not saying im right, just got a bit of experience and my own mistakes to back it up.

Now this is just my opinion, people can take it or leave it. But posts prior to this we were talking about putting in work for yeaaars....am i right? People like Learn and all the Og's who have been in this game fore years and now have earned people respect. Esko has been in this game for only a few short years, infact ive watched him start out, all the way from him writing Eskimo. Then within this past year or two hes "dope"? People have handed him his style and the rest is directly influenced by Fonse. As for Herby, his style and name has changed every few months and he gets props where kids like Main and Raket are doing their own thing and coming up in this game learning on their own get left in the dust. If your honest, you'll see that your going back on what you said by giving esko the "props" he doesnt deserve. No beef intended, just how i see it.

Now this is just my opinion, people can take it or leave it. But posts prior to this we were talking about putting in work for yeaaars....am i right? People like Learn and all the Og's who have been in this game fore years and now have earned people respect. Esko has been in this game for only a few short years, infact ive watched him start out, all the way from him writing Eskimo. Then within this past year or two hes "dope"? People have handed him his style and the rest is directly influenced by Fonse. As for Herby, his style and name has changed every few months and he gets props where kids like Main and Raket are doing their own thing and coming up in this game learning on their own get left in the dust. If your honest, you'll see that your going back on what you said by giving esko the "props" he doesnt deserve. No beef intended, just how i see it.

Ok.. to clarify a bit, id put Turdl, Cevs,, and Oniks above Esko... I never said Esko is dope, hes good.. I like his shit, I like his potential.. his graff falls into the trendy hipster group a litlle bit to much for my taste, but I get what hes doing and he has put in work. For Maine, what he is doing is refreshing.. I also think Raket is doing his thing and really those two can be bunched toghether...its all relative. And being handed a style, is historically a positive thing in graffiti, in the 70's and 80's it was so common, and then you devloped as your career goes on and find your own voice... but you got up and showed respect to who brought you up. He has a frame of refrence he likes, not a bad thing! actually showed be pushed more in todays kids starting out.. my opinion.

So true BIG D, When I was coming up BERN and LEARN had help me out with a lot. From hands to stamps. I then took what was given and worked it into its own unique style that would in time become my own. I was honored that the writers before me saw something in me. They took the time and wanted to give me structure to build off of. For that I am grateful.

I don't feel like taking the time to locate and post pics, but just some ideas of who's handstyles I like are :

Totem

Ges

Viel (UPS)

Swerve

Jaero

Mes (T)

Turdle

Spoke/Wizart

Lerk

Juce

That's just a quick list off the top of the head, and mostly local influences.

And Born Dead, I definitely agree with your post. I guess the stuff I was reading on here just seemed to have a tone of "Old heads did it right and you guys are doing it wrong" rather than a sense of truly trying to coach the next generation. But it's the internet and a lot of tone/inflection is lost in the written word, so I might have been reading things wrong. I appreciate heads that can debate with valid points without taking things too personally. Although I apologize for taking up so much space with no pics. Sorry for that, like I said, image hosting sites are blocked by the company.

Ok.. to clarify a bit, id put Turdl, Cevs,, and Oniks above Esko... I never said Esko is dope, hes good.. I like his shit, I like his potential.. his graff falls into the trendy hipster group a litlle bit to much for my taste, but I get what hes doing and he has put in work. For Maine, what he is doing is refreshing.. I also think Raket is doing his thing and really those two can be bunched toghether...its all relative. And being handed a style, is historically a positive thing in graffiti, in the 70's and 80's it was so common, and then you devloped as your career goes on and find your own voice... but you got up and showed respect to who brought you up. He has a frame of refrence he likes, not a bad thing! actually showed be pushed more in todays kids starting out.. my opinion.

Cool man, thanks for clearing that up..just my thoughts on the topic at hand. I think its good this shits all getting brought up...nice talk fellas.

Shut the fuck up! Its graffiti you retard.. I dickride (or respect) about 200 writers before me and during me coming up.. Its what makes graff so legit and a trade not some faggy art that you do whatever you want. I hate when people saythat shit more than anything.. you like another writer, thats positive! its helps cultivate style..

Dream RIP- I dickride

Bern- I dickride

Gkae- I dickride

Twist, Tie RIP, Renos, Spie, Skeme, Mber, Puzl, Tempt, JA, Iksoe, Mes, Aves, Cayper, Seen, Min,Blade,Cav,Mone,Wolf,Smith/SaneRIP, Zephyr,Nace, Kick, Sk8 RIP, Risk, Bles, Bates... etc, etc..

W-w-woaah! Cool your jets. I was just baggin' on a friend lol. No need to go ape shit on me. It's the internet, don't take everything to heart.

Interesting discussion on here.

With respect to the quality over quantity argument, quality is and always has been dominant. There were a million writers from the 80s who crushed their neighborhoods, there were another million in the 90s, there are million now. When you think of writers from the 80's and 90's, how many can you name who were strictly bombers, no pieces? Compare that to how many style writers you can name...

Case in point. A good spot; a well-executed tag, is worth a thousand, ten thousand, more, poorly-executed spots, throwups, tags, etc. I always remember the nice scribe in the bathroom mirror of a gas station more than the multitude of poorly-executed outlines, tags and spots seen in any city.

Erupto comes to mind.

In thinking about the contribution we all make to graffiti history, where do we fit in to this vision? Whether it is your intention or not, you are a part of that fabric being sewn.

With respect to the handstyle talk, I think that print styles are being overlooked. A good handstyle to me is not evidenced in how it loops, curves, fades or whatever other tricks you put into it. OE (the NY one), Vault (only one of many Bostonians), Gkae (LA power scribe style at its best), Renos (Bay Area funk/NY blend), their bread and butter is nice handwriting, not whips, curls, stars. These guys' handwriting impresses your average middle age woman. Thats the litmus test.

With that said, nobody that is up in Portland comes to mind other than Learn and SZ.

My two cents anyways.