Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weapon X

What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 19

there was a book i read a while ago called 'topping from below'...it was "interesting". if i remember, the ending could have been better.

fatbastard read 'a million little pieces' by james frey at my suggestion. i would suggest it to anyone else looking for a good read(and maybe a little more).

"Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor.

Interesting and very throrough history of the siege of Stalingrad in WW2

Last book I read was The Da Vinci Code

Probalbly not worth mentioning because you all must have read it too.

Not a bad book interesting, make me want to go check out the Lourve in Paris.

i'm reading lolita.

anyone ever read it?

fuckin weird pedophile crap.

but beautifully written.

i'm only a couple chapters in

and thoroughly weirded out.

nine stories was strange as shit

i was confused, but i enjoyed it

I like all the stories in that book but teddy was my favorite.

Greed - the story of Mr Asia

Terry Clark (1944-1983), known as "Mr Asia", was the ruthless head of a New Zealand drug syndicate which imported heroin into New Zealand, Australia and the United Kingdom in the 1970s, and was responsible for a string of deaths.

He was imprisoned for the murder of his associate Marty Johnstone, whose battered and handless body was found in "Eccleston Delph", a flooded quarry in the north of England. He died in prison in 1983, officially of natural causes, but speculation arose that he was secretly murdered.

gantz.JPG?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

manga

chapter 264-267 had me like what the fuck.. that is the most raw thing since akira... or the meat woman in preacher

Hey, thanks for the reminder, cinchedwaist! I'm gonna go to the library today, as I'm still unemployed.

I've been reading this on and off for the last whiiiiiile:

9781592282975.jpg

It's really good, but National Geographic and ESPN Magazine keep getting in the way.

Wow, two people reading Lolita.

I've never read it, but have read a bunch of Nabakov's short stories. He's really good.

Those Russians are always good, it seems.

Wow, two people reading Lolita.

I've never read it, but have read a bunch of Nabakov's short stories. He's really good.

Those Russians are always good, it seems.

It's extremely funny, read it.

Just finished re-reading some Lovecraft shorts, and before that I re-read DUNE. Right now I'm on the Amazing adventures of Cavalier and Clay, which i'm sad to say I never finished years ago.

I just finished American Gods on the suggestion of a friend... that book was dope... I got into it and read for almost 4 hours before I set it down.

Super interesting if you like numbers. Dude comes up with some great stuff:

006073132X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A spin off of this book is this one

51yM%2Bk3GKqL._SS500_.jpg

Honest and entertaining, Columbia University professor Venkatesh vividly recounts his seven years following and befriending a Chicago crack-dealing gang in a fascinating look into the complex world of the Windy City's urban poor. As introduced in Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner's bestseller, Freakonomics, Venkatesh became involved with the Black Kings—and their charismatic leader J.T.—as a first-year doctoral student at the University of Chicago. Sent to the projects with a multiple-choice test on poverty as his calling card, Venkatesh was, to his surprise, invited in to see how the drug dealers functioned in real life, from their corporate structure to the corporal punishment meted out to traitors and snitches. Venkatesh's narrative breaks down common misperceptions (such as all gang members are uneducated and cash rich, when the opposite is often true), the native of India also addresses his shame and subsequent emotional conflicts over collecting research on illegal activities and serving as the Black Kings' primary decision-maker for a day—hardly the actions of a detached sociological observer. But overinvolved or not, this graduate student turned gang-running rogue sociologist has an intimate and compelling tale to tell.

I read lolita last year. I know the term is cheap now but Nabokov is absolutely brilliant. That book is so intricate and so carefully written it makes my head spin. He also does his translating himself.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now