***NEW POPE'S NOT BLACK DAMMIT WE WUZ ROBBED***

heavyLox

Link here

New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign

German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican theologian who was elected Pope Benedict XVI, intervened in the 2004 US election campaign ordering bishops to deny communion to abortion rights supporters including presidential candidate John Kerry.

In a June 2004 letter to US bishops enunciating principles of worthiness for communion recipients, Ratzinger specified that strong and open supporters of abortion should be denied the Catholic sacrament, for being guilty of a "grave sin."

He specifically mentioned "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws," a reference widely understood to mean Democratic candidate Kerry, a Catholic who has defended abortion rights.

The letter said a priest confronted with such a person seeking communion "must refuse to distribute it."

A footnote to the letter also condemned any Catholic who votes specifically for a candidate because the candidate holds a pro-abortion position. Such a voter "would be guilty of formal cooperation in evil, and so unworthy to present himself for holy communion," the letter read.

The letter, which was revealed in the Italian magazine L'Espresso last year, was reportedly only sent to US Catholic bishops, who discussed it in their convocation in Denver, Colorado, in mid-June.

Sharply divided on the issue, the bishops decided to leave the decision on granting or denying communion to the individual priest. Kerry later received communion several times from sympathetic priests.

Nevertheless, in the November election, a majority of Catholic voters, who traditionally supported Democratic Party candidates, shifted their votes to Republican and eventual winner George W. Bush.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also a well documented fact that Ratzinger spent most of the war in a POW camp after he deserted the army. He could have been killed for doing that. I would guess that he would have deserted for ethical/moral reasons. Deserting the army is not something you would take lightly. well, I am ready to believe almost all of the German population was brainwashed at that point. For the sake of sanity...

Originally posted by fatalist@Apr 20 2005, 11:21 PM

It is also a well documented fact that Ratzinger spent most of the war in a POW camp after he deserted the army. He could have been killed for doing that. I would guess that he would have deserted for ethical/moral reasons. Deserting the army is not something you would take lightly. well, I am ready to believe almost all of the German population was brainwashed at that point. For the sake of sanity...

Im pretty sure he left 'cause there wasnt enough boy touching and jew killing. Ive heard he thought hitler was a half stepper, so he bounced, looking for a group that would last and continue to fuck people hence he found the Church.

Guest imported_Tesseract

well said,

if you take a closer look, you'll see that cut on his thumb..and you all know which fractions symbol that cut is....be prepared people, rough ride ahead

The pope was aight......When I was a kid I went to a catholic preschool.And every day I saw the pope's pic...it was luch and i got a ham samich{sandwich}.So i connected the two and knew he was a good man....thi new though......yo...he like mad old and yoda'd out.

and i heard he was in hitlers youth...but before i send thi I just noticed this.....the German population was brainwashed at that point. For the sake of sanity...and they said were nothing but aresol sucking vandals...fuck all of the norm right wing fucks.

Uh, the Pope was drafted in 1943. The Second World War ended in 1945, the year he allegedly deserted. So for two years he served the Fuhrer, then he bagged it and wound up in a POW camp after Germany was bombed flat and overrun by the U.S., Great Britain, France and the Russians. He might have spent some time after Germany was defeated in a POW camp, but up til some time in 1945 he was wearing the uniform of Nazi Germany.

It's not like I care, so what, maybe he wasn't actually a Nazi.

Let's see. What famous people were Nazis?

Kurt Waldheim, Secretary General of the U.N., President of Austria (SS)

Karl Costens, President of Germany (NSDAP)

Wernher von Braun, major player is U.S. space program (SS, NSDAP)

and a shitload of German politicians, judges, symphony conductors, etc., etc., that I never heard of. So, Kurt Waldheim probably was the biggest embarrassment, because his SS membership was a sort of open secret, and he rose to such a prominent position.

Here's a follow-up. Today's paper had an article from the New York Times, that mentions articles from the British press saying that Benedict XVI was in the Hitler Youth before he was drafted into the German Army. It also says that Benedict was known as "God's Rottweiler" and "the panzer cardinal." (I guess we can change that to the Panzer Pope now, LOL.)

Lucky for us, we can reach out to His Holiness via e-mail--

benedictxvi@vatican.va

Drop homeboy a kite. Maybe he'll tell us the straight up deal on the Hitler Youth thing.

Originally posted by Europe@Apr 20 2005, 08:32 AM

papa.jpg

I thought I was the only one who thought those 2 looked alike.

Stolen from salon (feel free to skip to the bold section):

I see that Salon's three-week pope-a-palooza has reached a new crescendo with the election of the Benedict XVI. I suppose we can all look forward to another round of hand-wringing as lapsed Catholics, devout believers and everyone on Salon's payroll weighs in on this momentous event.

Since the only faction not represented in Salon's coverage is the skeptic secular humanists -- who, I am willing to bet, make up a fair percentage of your readership -- let me be presumptuous for just a moment and throw in our two bits.

Nothing is going to change. The church will continue to do what it has always done for the past two thousand years; sow fear, self-loathing and empty promises to its adherents. The Catholic Church, like most other religious organizations, is -- and always has been -- an institution built on the fundamental idea that the rabble need to be kept in line so that the elites can exploit and plunder them with as little resistance as possible. Give a peasant a work ethic, a fear of a jealous and wrathful almighty, and then add a promise of rewards in the afterlife for his servitude here on earth, and bingo: an ignorant and docile subject! If this sounds cynical and harsh, I'm sorry, but as the Bible says, "By their works ye shall know them." You only have to look at Cardinal Ratzinger's treatment of liberation theology (an oxymoron if there ever was one) to see that his election is business as usual for the church.

While Salon continues to nitpick Benedict's intentions toward his peons, I can't help but recall the words of the philosopher and revolutionary Denis Diderot: "Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." I can't condone the means -- but the end is a noble goal.

-- Chad Bagley

Yes, he was a member of the Hitler Youth, as required by law. But he never attended a meeting, and requested to be removed. Hard to use his experiences regarding the Hitler Youth to justify a claim that he believed what the Nazis did or supported them.

Yes, he was a member of the German Army, as required by law. But he never was involved with the concentration camps, he protected civilian instilations from attack and when the opportunity presented itself to escape from the army by defecting he took it.

All of these happened in his youth. Since these events, he's had half a century to set the path of his life. There is NOTHING to indicate he supports anything even remotely like the evil beliefs held by the Nazis, and several statements that support his opposition. He has written passionately on the importance of life, which yes means he opposes abortion but also has been very vehemant against the death penalty and against wars because people are killed. (He was among those most outspoken in the Catholic hierarchy against the war in Iraq.) While he has made a firm statement affirming that his religion is Truth and those who believe in other religions are Wrong, he worked with John Paul on his efforts to reconcile with the Jewish people.

There is much to question about this new Pope, much that can cause people to question the wisdom of this choice. The only significance about this aspect of his past is that it's nice and shocking and maybe you can convince some people not to look at the man.

frankly, this thread is sort of rediculous. i find it odd that people who are strongly secular (alot of the 12oz community) even care about who the pope is. thank God im a protestant (baptist). would i want an X nazi to be the leader of my faith? no. do I want a leader other than God as part of my faith? no. am i catholic and should i really care who or what the pope is or was? no.

now im not dissing catholics, i just dont dig the ideology. i have been to catholic churches a good amount, and one in particular is awesome. the priest smokes cigars (not in church) and talks like someone from goodfellas.

now allow me to start with the first Baptist crack...

a country comedian/muscian once said...

"i learned three things about religion.

1. the protestant folks generally dont recognize the Pope as the leader of the christian faith.

2. the jewish folks generally dont believe Jesus is the Messiah

3. and the baptist folks generally dont recognize one another in the liquor store or at hooters."

i would have thought it a good thing to see a black man in such a position of power.

that is basically why i followed who they chose.

aside form that, it's the same old guy. same old shit.

i think a lot of people in this thread DON"T care who he is

we just had a jolly good time posting psycho ass pics of him.

Still, you think they could have found a pope that wasn't in the fucking hitler youth.

I don't care if it was mandatory, membership in the hitler youth should probably disqualify you from the papacy. Chalk it up to bad luck for elderly German cardinals.

So you're telling me that he should have refused to join the Hitler Youth group and been killed, jailed, or have his parents killed or jailed? That would make him pope-worthy? That's a stupid reason to say he shouldn't be pope. He wasn't out there slaughtering Jews, every child was required to be a Hitler Youth after 1938 whether they wanted to or not.

To quote somethingawful.com:

"Dislike him for his stance on homosexuality. Dislike him for his stance on abortion and contraceptive use. Dislike him for his views on the Catholic Church molestation scandal. But the fact that he involuntarily served in the Hitler Youth, where jail or death was the only other option, is not a valid reason to dislike the man nor is it a solid foundation on which to write a serious newspaper article. That idea has been thrown out the window by anyone with half a brain. His service in the Hitler Youth is but a footnote in the history of his life."

damn, y'all didnt like my picture, i think its f'ing hilarious. but anyway....

another perspective.

Behind the Rage at Benedict XVI

by Patrick J. Buchanan

April 25, 2005

"Except you eat the flesh of the Son of Man, and drink His blood, you have no life in you."

Hearing Jesus' words in the synagogue at Capharnum, many of his disciples said, "'This is a hard saying, who can hear it?' ... From that time many ... walked no more with him."

This episode from the Gospel of St. John is instructive. For today, scores of millions do not believe that John Paul II taught infallibly when he condemned abortion, contraception, homosexuality and the idea of women-priests. They cannot accept church teaching as settled and final, and want it changed to reflect their own beliefs. Yet, all the modern popes, and now Benedict XVI, refuse to change doctrine to accommodate them.

Thus, the rage, resentment and frustration that the conclave chose Cardinal Ratzinger as pope. They are like children who have been told by a stern but loving father that their tantrums are to no avail and they are not going to get their way, though they have been used to getting their way for most of their pampered lives.

And so the new pope is denounced as "God's rottweiler," "der PanzerKardinal," John Paul II's enforcer and the chief inquisitor who cruelly silenced the voices of dissent after Vatican II. What the hostility of the liberal media to the selection of Cardinal Ratzinger tells us is that the conclave got it right.

The secular world, too, hoped the church would alter its doctrines to conform to a moral relativism that teaches there is no law above manmade law, and that what is right and wrong is decided by each generation. The notion that there is a higher law – God's law, permanent law – to which all manmade law and human conduct must conform is anathema.

But, still, why do they fulminate so? Why are so many journalists and cafeteria Catholics making fools of themselves denouncing Benedict XVI? The pope has no authority to force anyone to abide by church teachings. The church cannot interfere with the lifestyles of the rich and famous who wish to live together outside of matrimony, or enter into homosexual relationships, or have abortions, or throw over their wives. The church cannot punish anyone in this world. If they are punished in the next, it will not be Benedict XVI who sends them to Hell.

But if they do not believe in Hell, what are they worried about? What are they whining about? Why do they not simply say: "The church is wrong, the church is out of touch, the church is yesterday. I'm gone." Answer: Deep in their hearts, they fear the church is right. They are unsettled because they fear that when the church says it has been given by Christ custody of the truths about how men must live to reach eternal life, it is right. When liberal Catholics say people have been "hurt" by Catholic teachings, what they are saying is that their consciences are hurting.

To modern man, freedom means the inalienable right to live one's life in conformity with one's desires. Many Americans buy into that idea of freedom. In Catholicism, true freedom is the freedom to live one's life in conformity with the Gospels and church teachings, as this is the only certain way to eternal life.

What the world wants the church to do is to stop claiming it is the custodian of moral truth. Because the church refuses, it is hated. As an earlier pope would not bless the new marriage of Henry VIII, this pope will not accede to the world's demands. And so Benedict XVI must and will be relentlessly attacked.

In a sense, there are only two kinds of people in the world: those who create their own moral code to conform to how they wish to live – such as Hugh Hefner, who created his own Playboy philosophy – and those who try to conform their lives to a moral code that exists outside and above themselves, like Benedict XVI.

Completing the episode in the Gospel of St. John, when the other disciples rejected his words and departed, "Jesus said unto twelve: Will you also go away?

"Then Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life."

What Benedict XVI is telling the world and dissident Catholics is: It is not Christ's church that must change its teaching, it is you who must change your hearts. Like Christ himself, Benedict XVI will be reviled because he has said no to the world, the flesh and the Devil.

© 2005 Creators Syndicate, Inc.