Der Untergang

Dr. Dazzle

I know there's some fellow World War II/Hitler/history nerds on here who may enjoy this. This movie is opening all over North America this weekend and looks amazing. Hopefully I can get around to seeing it this Friday. Definitely looks like it's worth checking out.

3499619237.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

When writer-producer Bernd Eichinger read the galleys of historian Joachim Fest's book "Der Untergang" ("The Downfall: Inside Hitler's Bunker, The Last Days of the Third Reich"), he knew he had found the dramatic key to a film he had wanted to make for decades, but never thought possible due to its scope. Fess' book focuses on the final days of the Reich, and Eichinger saw that the horrifying epic of Hitler and his people during his twelve years in power was reflected in those last twelve days in the bunker. "The final days tell us a lot about how the mass fanaticism functioned in the regime's earlier years and how it continued to reign until the bitter end," says Eichinger.

Eichinger read another very important book around the same time he read Fest's; the memoirs of Traudl Junge, Hitler's private secretary ("Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary".); which was later made into the documentary "Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary." "Fest gave me the time frame, Traudl Junge gave me the character who could hold it all together."

"Downfall" is the first German film to broach the subject of Hitler straight-on since G.W. Pabst's 1956 "Der Letste Akt" ("The Last Act") which was told from the point of view of an ordinary German soldier, played by Oskar Werner. Says director Oliver Hirschbiegel, "In terms of German film history, we are breaking new ground here, since there is no cinematic frame of reference. After reading the book, it was clear to me that if I committed myself, then it would have to be a total and complete commitment, meaning that I was going to spend two years of my life in the Third Reich, with all of those characters and that primitive ideology… My hair stood on end. My wife advised me against it. Yet I noticed that it just wouldn't leave me in peace, and in my heart, before accepting the project, I knew that I had already opened myself up to it."

Official Site

Trailers

Discuss.....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I saw the commercial the other day. I am for sure going to see this.

Did you know that Hitler would get lots of fan mail from groupies asking if they could have his baby? And did you know what he did to a lot of these women? He had them locked up or sent to concentration camps. What a fag.

Guest imported_Europe

Looks great, it opened here a few weeks ago and stirred alot of public debate because it also portrays Hitler as a human.

Havent seen it yet, girl told me it had one of the worst scenes in movie history... with a mothers deliberate killing of her own children.

Originally posted by swif1@Mar 30 2005, 08:26 AM

That's probably the first coloured picture of Adolf Hitler I have ever seen unless it's a lookalike. Either way, he's pale as heck.

Ive seen plenty of real color photos of hitler since im kind of a WW2 history nerd. And the actor does look like the real deal, its pretty good makeup work. It says its about the last days of his life and thats always interesting. Oh and about the mothers killing their children i think that was referring to Magda Goebbels wife of Joseph Goebbels who was hitlers propaganda minister, it was a real hectic time, she didnt know what would have happened to her children had they fallen into soviet hands, chances are it wouldnt have been good.

Guest imported_Europe

Its a german film, so for once the germans actually speak german which adds alot to the movie, its always corny when the speak english.

And the movie is about the last 10-12 days of Hitlers life...

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 30 2005, 01:44 AM

I saw the commercial the other day. I am for sure going to see this.

Did you know that Hitler would get lots of fan mail from groupies asking if they could have his baby? And did you know what he did to a lot of these women? He had them locked up or sent to concentration camps. What a fag.

Thats alot of evidenece to suggest that he had almost no sex drive. He also had an affair with his cousin who killed herself. It has been suggested that this changed him profoundly

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by nomadawhat@Sep 8 2005, 10:53 AM

You are almost drawn in to feeling for Hitler...

I know hey? It really humanizes him, and kind of makes you feel sorry for him. But then you realize that he was an evil dictator, and you stop feeling like that.

Copped the DVD a couple weeks ago. The Making Of features are awesome....

Originally posted by Europe@Mar 30 2005, 07:25 PM

Thats a photo from the film, the actor looks alot like the real deal.

how unlucky could you be to look like hitler??

if it opens in the uk, ill check it. sounds like an interesting story...

i was always fascinated by war documentaries and videos shown in history class. fucking loved it!

• 4 months later...

I wonder what the russian view on this was considering some was filmed in St petersburg.

I haven't seen it how does it vast the russian does it cast them as savage dogs like much of the recent ww2 writing does?

world war two stuff is huge I was on a train in Romania last year and i woke to a small moutain stationdecked out with swastikas and stromtroopers on a movie set wonder what it was for?

i was gonna bump this yesterday seeeing as how i watched it first thing in the morning

i liked the moive, im a ww2 nerd, especiall when it comes to the european theatre. i like how the director portrayed the desperation of the last couple of days of the reich, he could have dona bit better but its the best portrayal of the panic of those days ive seen yet

*thubs up*