Banksy smuggles art into MoMA

IDrinkSprite

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by seeking@Mar 30 2005, 11:01 PM

i dont really think it's stupid, i just say that so american writers feel better about ourselves. we have self esteem issues.

:(

haha

Anyway Banksy has done me a favour. I "acquired" a stack of Banksy books and was trying to sell them on ebay last week and there was very little interest. Re-listed the books this week and they are going like hotcakes.. All thanks to his New York visit and the subsequent world-wide media coverage he managed to generate. Here's to Banksy!

He went around a few years ago painting these 'designated graffiti area' stencils..... a few mates of mine actually pieced one of these walls which was right outside Paddington police station in the daytime (supposedly the most secure police station in England - its where they take terror suspects ect).... The police seeing this stencil on the wall just left them to paint it

Edit.... Respect to Banksy!

Guest sneak
Originally posted by andy@Mar 29 2005, 03:54 PM

get on with what you're doing, but stopping occasionally to state your hatred of someone you've never met on the internet, you mean?

ok, fair enough i think my hatred of banksy could be replaced. i tend to lump all my hatred of stencils and street art being called graff, in the media on to him. probably because he is the main person they cite, i get sick of hearing about how "daring" he is in newspaper articles.

well, that's the difference between the two of you. you go on the internet talking about what you'd 'like' to do, but never ever will. he goes into some of the most famous museums in america and makes the front page of newspapers all over the world.

who can spot the difference here?

Originally posted by seeking@Apr 1 2005, 05:09 PM

well, that's the difference between the two of you. you go on the internet talking about what you'd 'like' to do, but never ever will. he goes into some of the most famous museums in america and makes the front page of newspapers all over the world.

who can spot the difference here?

how about you dont know me to patronise me? how about wanksy RAN off a bus and off down the road when was spotted on a bus by a couple of us? don't talk to me like i'm some teenage mug. i'll colour the cunt in chrome for showing zero respect to PROPER writer's work in london..

if you get a hard on from banksy's art bullshit then thats your problem.

nathan barley

worn 70s class war punk aesthetic, done better by the sex pistols

niether good art or good graf

kiddy politics,obvious , babyish , twee ,

banksy is establishment , on the walls of the advertising agencies,media, music and production companies all over london, Tony Blair probably has one in his collection .it aint graf.

The police love it, his stuff dont get buffed in some boroughs cos the councillors love it,

mainstream

Aright this thread is well dead but i fukn HAVE to have my say. Banksy may or may not be graff, really i think thats just semantics. What I have to say is that he has done some crazy boundary pushing. He is a all about quasi-anarchistic subversive type shit, and as such subverts graffitti itself. (For example see his 'Graffitti sculptures'- eg Rodin's 'the thinker' cast in bronze including drunk's traffic cone on the head and dropped in a public place like a graff piece, or framed paintings plus stencil additions, again hung in public spaces)

He freely admits he stencils cuz hes shit at pieces, but who can complain when he does such different and creative shit

One last word, he may have been adopted by Nathan Barley-style wankers and hence absorbed into the establishment, but that aint his fault. He is constantly inventing new shit. and soon will surpass the publicitysoaked wankfest many people seem to see him as now

God i sound like a proper fuckin pretentious basterd. Just enjoy banksys work and dont bother trying to box him into categories, cuz it dun work

Originally posted by b0b@Mar 30 2005, 06:52 PM

Banksy: Like the stencils, hate the relentless publicity.

In the UK we got rhyming slang, in France they have verlan where you swap the first & last letters of words and in the States you put the izzle in words.

b0b: Verlan is swapping the first and last -syllables-, not letters. And you can use it on any word, even single syllable words

Originally posted by Spike+Apr 11 2005, 12:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spike - Apr 11 2005, 12:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-b0b@Mar 30 2005, 06:52 PM

Banksy: Like the stencils, hate the relentless publicity.

In the UK we got rhyming slang, in France they have verlan where you swap the first & last letters of words and in the States you put the izzle in words.

b0b: Verlan is swapping the first and last -syllables-, not letters. And you can use it on any word, even single syllable words

[/b]

I would sure like to see some examples of this "slang".

i went over to my moms yesterday and she asked me about this, she heard him on NPR, i was like "yeah, dudes cracked crazy", it was funny, my mom is apparently a huge fan now and in not so many words said "if you're gonna continue to be a street punk why can't you do something cool like that?" eh.