CAPS sooperthread

haunts

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boston fat vs regular rusto fat

They are both great caps if you ask me. But I have been leaning torwards Boston fats more over the past couple of years. For two main reasons. Sound and you don't burn threw paint as fast. But normal Rusto fats are what you want if your moving to fill it super fast. Either or they both work the way you want them you. Its all personal choice.

They are both great caps if you ask me. But I have been leaning torwards Boston fats more over the past couple of years. For two main reasons. Sound and you don't burn threw paint as fast. But normal Rusto fats are what you want if your moving to fill it super fast. Either or they both work the way you want them you. Its all personal choice.

Boston fats are ergonomically fit for your fingers and doesn't make them hurt.

These are the perfect caps for the diva artists with weak fingers or girls that out there.. I really can't tell the difference between the 2 of them lol..

The caps work magic and they are AMERICAN Made. Which you guys know is a huge sticking point for me.

halloweenythinslg.jpg

If you gonna post something like that then you have to give a description! You know lots of people on here are a lil slowy or in special ed lol!

The Cap Above in the picture is a "Special Edition RED/ORANGE NY FAT Cap" Once they're gone that's it.. so grab em while you can.. cuz they won't be made again!

@TROUTARTSUPPLY .COM

Deen,

If you're gonna post a description, you gotta post the right one :)

We didn't go with the orange NY Fats I showed you - we ended up doing orange NY Thins as a special Halloween edition - but they are also helpful if you paint at night or if you are new to painting. Having them bright orange like that enables you to tell the difference between the thins and fats when reaching in the bag in low light or if you're so toy like I was back in the day that you don't know whats what. AND, we got a lot of awesome feedback on them so we may end up ordering more down the road - for now there aren't many left though!

The only downside is every time I pack an order with them I think it's a giant bag of Cheetos!

Bigmetal just reminded me of a story.

Once years ago. I was triping balls on some cid and got hungry. ( I used to store my supplys in the kitchen cabinets. ) Anyhow, I reached into one of the cabinets and grabbed what my twisted mind thought was a bag of Cereal. Dumped them into a bowl and poured milk all over a bowl full of NY fats. Naturally I noticed when I had a mouth full that something was wrong.

56c1f32c241e9240c724127385c1f626.image.224x180.jpg

The one and only HEX TGO. A unique individual who was about 15 years ahead of the curve. An inspiration to me, and I’m sure many others. If you don’t already know about this man and his legacy from the late 80′s and early 90′s for the city of Los Angeles, then you need to get off my blog and throw out all your fancy Euro paint. Everything this guy did was with Krylon, and he is widely recognized as the one who invented what we referred to in the 90′s as the “Lightening Cap” or “Stencil Cap”, Ive heard of it called other things, but it basically was the center of an older Krylon Cap cut out, with a pin hole melted through the front, so when the can was sprayed at the hole only a small amount of actual paint would make it through and you could get these pin sized lines, for highlights, glows, electricity, whatever…. Now days they sell these caps, and in my honest opinion, this man, wherever he is, should be catchin’ a royalty check for each one sold…

Here’s one that I found online, that is called a “Stencil Cap” – why?? I have no idea, you don’t paint stencils with it.. idiots.

This is how I was taught in I would say around ’94?

5171961692_2689d23a77_b.jpg

5171961700_cc20e5de3c_z.jpg

We’d always use a Krylon cap cuz’ the plastic was bendy, apposed to Rusto that was a harder plastic and would crack if pressed on.

5171961708_2e6a1f0a14.jpg

step one done.

5171961714_13ae17cfe3.jpg

we would trace a finger’s shape, and leave a bit of the bottom of the cap as support , to also help “snap” back into place onto the can top later.

5171961718_b8060452ba.jpg

You see what’s goin on here?

5171365555_fc21d1f62a.jpg

at this point you’d look to where the spray line would line up, spin the cap around forward, and equate a lil’ lower due to the pressed down cap, and make a mark with a sharpie. then either using a razor blade or a heated up coat hanger you’s poke your hole on the front. I’ve seen some fancy shmancy designs over the years, Stars, X’s, 3 dots….

5171365563_6888b47266_z.jpg

as you can see, the hole is a little lower then the relaxed cap face.

And it should be pretty obvious that the paint that doesn’t make it through the hole builds up inside the cap, so you have to do a few lines, then dump the build up before it leaks all over your hand. And there you have what I would prefer to call a HEX CAP. But make no confusion, if you’re a toy, this tool won’t make you fresh, a complete understanding of how this can be utilized to create things you envision but don’t want to spend all day making cut backs to create, this can save you time, and paint if used correctly. I know till this day there are some writers who’s whole style is based on using these caps to fool their audience into thinking they have this can control and don’t realize a real writer can use anything (car paint and stock caps) and still come off fresh. Don’t be one of those one trick pony writers who spends their whole career using a crutch to get by. But at the same time, don’t be ignorant to the tools that are out there, just use them in moderation. Everything should be done with moderation. Or it becomes your crutch that you can’t get by without. And for me, if I’m battling you, those are the things I’m going to pick apart.

5171365565_cf40ba5cf8.jpg

end result is a small line. Saturday Nov. 13th/

5171365569_1132017d0a_z.jpg

Respect to HEX TGO, my inspiration on this Saturday Nov. 13th. 2010.

Szr, the way I do it is wrap the stem of the cap with a small strip of pvc tape. I use 10 mil. If u use the thinner kind you might have to wrap it twice. It makes it fit the can real snug and it wont leak. The only thing is sometimes when you remove the cap the tape slips off and you need to re-tape it.

Well I want something as fat as a astro or gold fat..I got skinny, medium, and medium fats. I just need them ultra fats for booming and flares.

Why don't you just go with the Trout Art Supply Boston Fats?

They FLARE like crazy, people don't seem to get it that Euro caps are mainly tailored for "low pressure" paints and not for a high pressure paint like a Rusto etc.

For you people that don't know the full valve change to a male valve is in full effect. You'll be lucky if you get a female valve can after Dec.

56c1f32c241e9240c724127385c1f626.image.224x180.jpg

The one and only HEX TGO. A unique individual who was about 15 years ahead of the curve. An inspiration to me, and I’m sure many others. If you don’t already know about this man and his legacy from the late 80′s and early 90′s for the city of Los Angeles, then you need to get off my blog and throw out all your fancy Euro paint. Everything this guy did was with Krylon, and he is widely recognized as the one who invented what we referred to in the 90′s as the “Lightening Cap” or “Stencil Cap”, Ive heard of it called other things, but it basically was the center of an older Krylon Cap cut out, with a pin hole melted through the front, so when the can was sprayed at the hole only a small amount of actual paint would make it through and you could get these pin sized lines, for highlights, glows, electricity, whatever…. Now days they sell these caps, and in my honest opinion, this man, wherever he is, should be catchin’ a royalty check for each one sold…

Here’s one that I found online, that is called a “Stencil Cap” – why?? I have no idea, you don’t paint stencils with it.. idiots.

This is how I was taught in I would say around ’94?

5171961692_2689d23a77_b.jpg

5171961700_cc20e5de3c_z.jpg

We’d always use a Krylon cap cuz’ the plastic was bendy, apposed to Rusto that was a harder plastic and would crack if pressed on.

5171961708_2e6a1f0a14.jpg

step one done.

5171961714_13ae17cfe3.jpg

we would trace a finger’s shape, and leave a bit of the bottom of the cap as support , to also help “snap” back into place onto the can top later.

5171961718_b8060452ba.jpg

You see what’s goin on here?

5171365555_fc21d1f62a.jpg

at this point you’d look to where the spray line would line up, spin the cap around forward, and equate a lil’ lower due to the pressed down cap, and make a mark with a sharpie. then either using a razor blade or a heated up coat hanger you’s poke your hole on the front. I’ve seen some fancy shmancy designs over the years, Stars, X’s, 3 dots….

5171365563_6888b47266_z.jpg

as you can see, the hole is a little lower then the relaxed cap face.

And it should be pretty obvious that the paint that doesn’t make it through the hole builds up inside the cap, so you have to do a few lines, then dump the build up before it leaks all over your hand. And there you have what I would prefer to call a HEX CAP. But make no confusion, if you’re a toy, this tool won’t make you fresh, a complete understanding of how this can be utilized to create things you envision but don’t want to spend all day making cut backs to create, this can save you time, and paint if used correctly. I know till this day there are some writers who’s whole style is based on using these caps to fool their audience into thinking they have this can control and don’t realize a real writer can use anything (car paint and stock caps) and still come off fresh. Don’t be one of those one trick pony writers who spends their whole career using a crutch to get by. But at the same time, don’t be ignorant to the tools that are out there, just use them in moderation. Everything should be done with moderation. Or it becomes your crutch that you can’t get by without. And for me, if I’m battling you, those are the things I’m going to pick apart.

5171365565_cf40ba5cf8.jpg

end result is a small line. Saturday Nov. 13th/

5171365569_1132017d0a_z.jpg

Respect to HEX TGO, my inspiration on this Saturday Nov. 13th. 2010.

STYLE Thank you for posting this.. not many know the true history of alot of stuff.

FUCKING BEAUTIFUL POST MAN.. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU..

I bought some gold fats and astro fats and niether one work with rusto. Is there a cap similar to these I can get that's compatible with rusto..the fattestive found are orange dots and Elmer craft bond caps.

what about stretching it out a little with a pair of scissors or something?

**Placing blades inside hole and stretching it to fit snug? I have a problem with quick color and fat caps leaking like a tap water faucet. Last night my hands were covered. Stuff is cheap and good for just bombing but the stock caps suck.

Why don't you just go with the Trout Art Supply Boston Fats?

They FLARE like crazy, people don't seem to get it that Euro caps are mainly tailored for "low pressure" paints and not for a high pressure paint like a Rusto etc.

For you people that don't know the full valve change to a male valve is in full effect. You'll be lucky if you get a female valve can after Dec.

I'll check it out thanks.