CAPS sooperthread

haunts

i just got my order from trout today. i emailed them about 2 days ago to check on the status of the order since i had heard nothing back (tracking number, etc...) since placing the order. they got back to me the same day, in a few hours in fact.

the boston's are pretty dope! i threw one on a rusto chrome and it worked well. as did the 2 different types female caps for the male valve cans. both worked great on a painters touch can!

again, i like the sekt caps too and i like having the ability to use different caps with one sekt adapter. but these caps from trout feel more like using a regular can opposed to having to adjust your finger and hand to accommodate the slightly higher adapter and whichever cap you are using. try both, see which ones you like better.

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THEY WORK AWESOME IF YOU CAN GET A GOOD ONE TO WORK ON THE PAINT YOUR USING. I STILL CAN'T EVER GET A STRAIT ANSWER, WHAT DOTHE NUMBERS ON THE FRONT OF THE CAPS MEAN TO EACH CAP, AND HOW DO YOU READ THEM CORRECTLY.SOME SAY THEY MEAN NOTHING, OTHERS SAY THEY ARE THE EFFECT ,WHICH IS WHAT I AM LEANING TOWARDS. ALMOST EVERY CAP WORKS DIFFERENTLY. IT IS ABSOLUTLY NOT AS SIMPLE AS A ONE FINGER OR SUPERTHIN OUTLINE CAP, OR HOWEVER YOU WANT TO LOOK AT IT. IF IT IS THE EFFECT, HOW DO YOU ORDER THE ONES YOU WANT IN BULK INSTEAD OF GETTING A BAG OF WHATEVER YOU GET. ABOUT 25 OUT OF A HUNDRED ARE WHAT YOU WANT ,THE REST ARE TOO BIG OR THE WRONG PRESSURE...I JUST WANT THE THINNEST CAP POSSIBLE EVERY TIME FOR DETAIL.PLEASE ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME..

Does anyone know how good grey dots work for outlines. Is it really noticable.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO ALTAR , OR MODIFY STOCK CAPS TO BE SUPER THIN OR GREAT OUTLINE / DETAIL CAPS? I REALIZE CAPS ARE RELATIVELY CHEAP BUT I DON'T ALWAYS HAVE THE EXTRA CASH OR TIME TO ORDER THEM AND WAIT TO GET THEM. I HAVE SEEN LOTS OF GUYS OVER THE YEARS USING STOCK CAPS AND THEY LOOKED SUPER SKINNY.IS THERE AN EASIER WAY? 71..

• Like 1

^^^ lol not shit. Unclick your CAPSLOCK KEY. You seem angry.

Just order the caps. Your gonna end up spending for time then its worth trying to alter stock caps to do what your looking for. Plus honestly. You can use stock caps for outlines if you make your outline strokes in quick motions.

Good point sorry. Thanks for the suggestions. I was aware of both those tips but appreciate the thought. I am actually looking for something that i can use inside the outline for really tight detail. Stencil caps work great but are so messy, I usually just continue on with an outline cap.Most of the time I am o.k. that way but these days it seems like no matter what cap I use its rare I am extremely happy with its performance. I have been at this for quite some time and never remember this stress in the early 90's. But I also saw someone state that since the euro paint came in the same caps are not always the same . A german outline might be for montana and a separate one for Krylon for instance. I had huge jug of hundreds of every cap made, upto the astro caps , but haven't gotten any in years and now am out or running out of all the tight skinny caps which seem harder to obtain the ones you want .For me anyway , my last bag from a well known supplier was maybe 25-30 out of 100 that were exactly what I want the rest were dusty or increased the pressure ,bringing me back to my original question about those numbers. Thanks to all for trying to help. Any further info would be great.....71

I thought the same for a while ,but I do have a bunch of caps that are the same numbers and they all work the same way. Just yesterday I used a new york thin and it was a J 4 and it was spraying all dusty and seemed bigger than usual so I switched it to a E 5 and even though it was a number larger from 4-5 it was so smooth and tight , just beautiful. It got me thinking and I went and searched threw my caps and found 5 with the same E 5 on the front and they were all the same beautiful tight spraying caps as the others. I then tried another with the letter E but It was an 8 and it sprayed smooth and crisp but was larger than the others no matter how close to the wall I went. I have done this test many times before with grey dots gold dots you name it german outlines and the so called universal yellow outline caps. I always found the smaller the numbers the smaller the lines and the letters on the new york outs positively effects there output .I am not sure exactly how to read them though . With that said in my opinion the numbers are not just for the manufacturer, but I have not yet been able to clarify this. Its almost like a taboo or something , no one ever talks about it. I can't believe I am alone in noticing how different one cap works from the next. Good to see at least it got someone else thinking. I know you can see anything on this thread, but trust me I am not new to this whole thing, just very surprised and annoyed at this whole cap controversy. 71...

• Like 1

Good point sorry. Thanks for the suggestions. I was aware of both those tips but appreciate the thought. I am actually looking for something that i can use inside the outline for really tight detail. Stencil caps work great but are so messy, I usually just continue on with an outline cap.Most of the time I am o.k. that way but these days it seems like no matter what cap I use its rare I am extremely happy with its performance. I have been at this for quite some time and never remember this stress in the early 90's. But I also saw someone state that since the euro paint came in the same caps are not always the same . A german outline might be for montana and a separate one for Krylon for instance. I had huge jug of hundreds of every cap made, upto the astro caps , but haven't gotten any in years and now am out or running out of all the tight skinny caps which seem harder to obtain the ones you want .For me anyway , my last bag from a well known supplier was maybe 25-30 out of 100 that were exactly what I want the rest were dusty or increased the pressure ,bringing me back to my original question about those numbers. Thanks to all for trying to help. Any further info would be great.....71

WTF!?!....since the 90's? and youre on here asking about caps and euro paint like the shit just came out?!? where are you from siberia? couldnt be im sure some profiteering russian will ship that shit to you via UPS mule or some shit.

go buy some fucking caps for christ sake. its like 3 bucks + shipping, anyone can hustle that in like 30 mins.

I thought the same for a while ,but I do have a bunch of caps that are the same numbers and they all work the same way. Just yesterday I used a new york thin and it was a J 4 and it was spraying all dusty and seemed bigger than usual so I switched it to a E 5 and even though it was a number larger from 4-5 it was so smooth and tight , just beautiful. It got me thinking and I went and searched threw my caps and found 5 with the same E 5 on the front and they were all the same beautiful tight spraying caps as the others. I then tried another with the letter E but It was an 8 and it sprayed smooth and crisp but was larger than the others no matter how close to the wall I went. I have done this test many times before with grey dots gold dots you name it german outlines and the so called universal yellow outline caps. I always found the smaller the numbers the smaller the lines and the letters on the new york outs positively effects there output .I am not sure exactly how to read them though . With that said in my opinion the numbers are not just for the manufacturer, but I have not yet been able to clarify this. Its almost like a taboo or something , no one ever talks about it. I can't believe I am alone in noticing how different one cap works from the next. Good to see at least it got someone else thinking. I know you can see anything on this thread, but trust me I am not new to this whole thing, just very surprised and annoyed at this whole cap controversy. 71...

i really think it has something to do with the quality of production. not the numbers on the cap. caps are injection molded....i imagine after a long run on the same mold, it will start to gunk/clog up (just like spray paint clogs your cap) and causes minor imperfections in the cap creating different or imperfect spray patterns.

stop thinkin so hard. youre gonna hurt yourself

yo BMC those stormtroopers are decent. might even be great for me eventually

i'm getting used to their bizarre shape and i no longer feel like i'm about to cook something. just blaze. wokka.

i still want a drill bit though.

Flip the can over. Let some propellant out. The can should get colder. The can should handle a bit better. Or, soften the stem part of the stock cap. Once softened, use a fingernail clipper to pinch the walls of the stem; at the uppermost section. If used on a cold can, the lack of pressure from the can will allow the cap to create a thinner line, since the pinched area acts as a reservoir. Eg, a grey dot cap has a stem that only allows a set output. If you softened the cap too much, causing the stem to thin a bit, some teflon tape should help. Or, just use the can upside-down as you paint. It will act as a sort of airbrush. Leaning the can from anywhere from 45 to 70 degrees may allow just a bit of paint out.

Rusto fats or NY fats, and stock tips are all you need. If you need fancy caps to rock, you need to step your game up.

I <3 this guy^^. Tall-boy Rusto cans topped with either Rusto Fats or Stocks FTW.

boston thins changed my life yall.

Probably put Stoner outta business also with all the caps that have turned up 'missing'. lol.

i really think it has something to do with the quality of production. not the numbers on the cap. caps are injection molded....i imagine after a long run on the same mold, it will start to gunk/clog up (just like spray paint clogs your cap) and causes minor imperfections in the cap creating different or imperfect spray patterns.

stop thinkin so hard. youre gonna hurt yourself

your trying to tell me that you can't see any differences in the use of one cap vs. the next from the same bag. pick any ones you want ,german outlines , n.y. outlines, whatever.If your answer is no than more power to you. I am not going to argue. As far as asking about the stock cap modification , I have seen many writers use stock caps that seemed super thin and was wondering if maybe I could learn something. I was under the impression that this was a cap thread and asking for help and info was what it was for. No matter how long you may be painting that doesn't mean you know everything, I never claimed to. What do you care anyway?

try poppin the dots off the ny thins that you think are different numbers and different qualities. see if you can see any imperfections. compare the difference. see if im right.hell i could be way off base. check the little venturi deal, the inside of the dot.

No your actually rite on the caps are the same. It is the dots that is what is the difference. That is what creates the effect. When the paint hits the insert if the numbers are big to small it starts at whatever and increases the pressure a bit as it squeezes threw a smaller opening at the exit out the front, or vice versa try to blow threw a handful of caps you'll hear the difference. Look at the front of the insert on any pink dot orange dot blue dot, gold fat cap you will find the impression of the circle to be completely different depending on the numbers. Don't think too much I will hurt myself. You think whatever you want . I only started thinking about this after a long time of noticing the difference in the caps . After asking many people and getting all sorts of answers plus doing lots of trial and era, this is what I believe , until proven wrong. However I am sure it is not some production numbers, try and look for what I said or don't . Keep thinking I am the stupid ignorant one, please, be my guest...71 Could be I am totally off but I need a logical explanation than. The whole reason I brought it up was because I wasn't sure but I do know its not nothing.

the numbers don't mean anything...if anything its to let the company know what code number it is and which batch it was run from.

I would have no problem believing that to be true ,but you haven't explained why the caps, work differently. If you have an explanation ,I would be glad to say I am off base. Hopefully it won't be that this is in my head. The caps are all the same, etc, etc, because that is just not the case. This is not a few caps, or even a bag of a hundred caps this is every cap. Even the stock caps on any Rusto or whatever. They all have numbers and unless those numbers are the same in my experience they work differently. Some might be hard to notice if the numbers are close together 4-5 or 6 but you take a yellow German outline , or a New York thin cap and get a cap thats a 0-1 or 2-0 vs. a 2-4 or 0-6 which are the numbers that where most prevalent in my last order of universal German outlines and there is a huge difference. I am surprised no one has noticed this. If I am wrong and the numbers mean nothing, or are just for company reasons how come if you get 10 0-1's which is easy to do from a 100 cap bag they all work the same with tight thin lines vs. the 2-4 or 4-6 or 0-6 or 8 which are all in there as well, they are much much broader lines and have a more powerful dusty performance. I am the first person who would like every cap to simply be the same tight thin outline cap, but no matter how many people want to laugh or say I am wrong , this guy thinks to much, or whatever ,until you can explain why I am wrong and give a logical explanation this is what I am going with. I haven't thought of this over night and have actually been told this as well by others, but as you see here there are allot of opinions...71

Flip the can over. Let some propellant out. The can should get colder. The can should handle a bit better. Or, soften the stem part of the stock cap. Once softened, use a fingernail clipper to pinch the walls of the stem; at the uppermost section. If used on a cold can, the lack of pressure from the can will allow the cap to create a thinner line, since the pinched area acts as a reservoir. Eg, a grey dot cap has a stem that only allows a set output. If you softened the cap too much, causing the stem to thin a bit, some teflon tape should help. Or, just use the can upside-down as you paint. It will act as a sort of airbrush. Leaning the can from anywhere from 45 to 70 degrees may allow just a bit of paint out.

Thanks for the post. That's all I was looking for was a serious idea or fact that I may not have known or tried before. Turns out I did learn something. I have never tried to modify a cap before, I never had a reason to attempt it. Even though the caps are probably a better choice its always good to have the knowledge of an additional method. Respect....71

personally, having used stock caps, ny outlines, and rusto fats over a period of about 15 years, i can say these caps generally work the same. i haven't really noticed any cap to cap variation.

i don't have this kind of experience with euro caps so i wouldn't speak on that.

another way to get around control is by getting a super low pressure paint, like belton

That sounds great ,I wish I was that lucky. I will agree Rusto fat caps are the one cap that is exactly the same , the insert and cap is the same ever time, there are no numbers and I have never seen any difference. I know many people might read this and think because they have no numbers I am convincing myself of there being the same, and the others aren't but in my experience I truly see the difference all the time and this is what started me trying to find out why. I never meant to start a big debate or come off like I was trying to state how it is and teach anyone anything. I asked simply to see if someone new exactly what the deal was and could help me fully understand and proceed forward. I also never noticed any of this until maybe 99-2003 before that I agree I took a cap and it worked as it always did.Maybe after the Euro paint came in there was a change maybe not , never the less thanks for the input..71

alright....ill pay closer attention. and stop being an asshole.

but amercan classic caps have always worked the same for me every time. euro caps are a different story.

the numbers on the insert....i still think youre gonna have better luck relating it to a 2012 apocolypse senario or something.